jchapman

Better Career, Wick or Bull?

Better Career to Date: Wick or Bull?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Who has had a better wrestling career to date?

• Evan Wick
    • Alex Marinelli

5 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Right there with Marinelli.  Neither guy is likely a world/olympic rep, but they could make national teams (top 3).

I’m not arguing, just curious why you have Wick a tier below Cenzo when they are seeded 7th amd 8th at the Trials.  I’m not as familiar with Cenzo’s Freestyle resume, but he is seeded one spot below Wick.

Just now, jchapman said:

I’m not arguing, just curious why you have Wick a tier below Cenzo when they are seeded 7th amd 8th at the Trials.  I’m not as familiar with Cenzo’s Freestyle resume, but he is seeded one spot below Wick.

Just in terms of how I think the styles translate to Freestyle.  As I said, Wick can't choose top against guys in Freestyle, and I just don't think his neutral offense is good enough against most of our other 74 kg guys.  I do think Wiscy has a brewing stud in Amos, though. 

The seeding is what it is this year.  57 kg seeds are insane.  Downey has a 3 seed at 84.  I'm not going to be shocked if Wick ever beats Joseph or Marstellar or Marinelli, I just think he would lose a majority of matches against them in Freestyle.  *shoulder shrug*

I didn't feel you were being aggressive by asking, by the way.  And even if you were, aggressively challenging opinions is good for the soul.  I'm just a man with an opinion, no more valuable than yours.  Much more valuable than @TBar1977's though. ;)

Lol. My POV is valuable enough to get into your head (as well as plenty of other Iowa fans it seems) Dr. Counselor Vak. I'm not even conversing in this thread and there it is, you are thinking about me as opposed to anything else in this world. Kinda funny.

Edited by TBar1977

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Lol. My POV is valuable enough to get into your head (as well as plenty of other Iowa fans it seems) Dr. Counselor Vak. I'm not even conversing in this thread and there it is, you are thinking about me as opposed to anything else in this world. Kinda funny.

Learn to take a joke.  It'll make life more...ahem...fun.

On 3/30/2021 at 12:52 PM, VakAttack said:

Just in terms of how I think the styles translate to Freestyle.  As I said, Wick can't choose top against guys in Freestyle, and I just don't think his neutral offense is good enough against most of our other 74 kg guys.  I do think Wiscy has a brewing stud in Amos, though. 

The seeding is what it is this year.  57 kg seeds are insane.  Downey has a 3 seed at 84.  I'm not going to be shocked if Wick ever beats Joseph or Marstellar or Marinelli, I just think he would lose a majority of matches against them in Freestyle.  *shoulder shrug*

I didn't feel you were being aggressive by asking, by the way.  And even if you were, aggressively challenging opinions is good for the soul.  I'm just a man with an opinion, no more valuable than yours.  Much more valuable than @TBar1977's though. ;)

He can't choose top but he can get on top. Just cradled and pinned Marstellar. Think Marinelli who previously lost to Marstellar is the the semis of Olympic Trials?

Wick just won 2 matches at the Olympic Trials and is in the semis against Dake.  Wick could win the entire challenge tournament and the Hawkeye fans would still be saying Marinelli (who won only 2 matches at 2021 NCAA's) is better because he is a 3x Big Ten champ lol.  

Everyone with common sense (or no bias) knows Wick has had a far and away better career. Marinelli is a good wrestler, but his highest NCAA finish is 6th and he needs a 6th year to attempt getting any higher up on the podium. He has always earned his seed at NCAAs, but I am at the point of considering him overrated.

12 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Wick just won 2 matches at the Olympic Trials and is in the semis against Dake.  Wick could win the entire challenge tournament and the Hawkeye fans would still be saying Marinelli (who won only 2 matches at 2021 NCAA's) is better because he is a 3x Big Ten champ lol.  

Tell you what, if he beats Kyle Dake I'll agree that he's definitely a better freestyler than Marinelli.  If he loses (which I expect) that won't change my opoinion, since I also don't think Marinelli would beat Dake.

35 minutes ago, chestcrusher said:

He can't choose top but he can get on top. Just cradled and pinned Marstellar. Think Marinelli who previously lost to Marstellar is the the semis of Olympic Trials?

Marstellar beat Marinelli in the consi quarters of the NCAA tournament, I believe.  Like I said, I won't be shocked if Wick beats one of those guys, I just think he'lll lose a majority of them in Freestyle.  If I end up being wrong,, that has been known to happen.

3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Marstellar beat Marinelli in the consi quarters of the NCAA tournament, I believe.  Like I said, I won't be shocked if Wick beats one of those guys, I just think he'lll lose a majority of them in Freestyle.  If I end up being wrong,, that has been known to happen.

Wick is 2-1 vs Marstellar. I believe that is winning the majority of the matches. I guess your last sentence is correct. 

Just now, chestcrusher said:

Wick is 2-1 vs Marstellar. I believe that is winning the majority of the matches. I guess your last sentence is correct. 

They are 1-1 in Freestyle.  If they were to wrestle folkstyle matches, I would favor Wick.

52 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

No he couldn't.

You're taking the phrase out of context.  I'm not dumb; we all knew Wick wasn't beating Dake.  The point was that even if he did, Hawkeye fans would still think Marinelli had a better career than Wick.

2 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

You're taking the phrase out of context.  I'm not dumb; we all knew Wick wasn't beating Dake.  The point was that even if he did, Hawkeye fans would still think Marinelli had a better career than Wick.

If Evan Wick were to beat Kyle Dake to win the challenge tournament there is not a single Hawkeye fan that would say Marinelli had a better career at this point. 

Why must you insist on making up people to be mad at? There are plenty of actual Hawkeye fans to be mad at.

2 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

If Evan Wick were to beat Kyle Dake to win the challenge tournament there is not a single Hawkeye fan that would say Marinelli had a better career at this point. 

Why must you insist on making up people to be mad at? There are plenty of actual Hawkeye fans to be mad at.

Wick had a 0% chance of winning that match.  And despite the fact that he got destroyed by Dake, he still won matches at the Trials over Gantt and Marstellar.  In fact, Wick has beaten Gantt twice in this tournament as he won on the backside earlier today.  If Wick wins his next match, he will 4-1 in the Trials tournament and 3rd in a bracket with Kyle Dake and Jason Nolf.  This is a tournament that Marinelli had every opportunity to try to qualify for, but decided to focus on the college season instead.  If you still want to argue that a guy who has never placed higher than 6th in three tries at the NCAA tournament is better than Wick, that's on you.

Wick had a 0% chance of winning that match.  And despite the fact that he got destroyed by Dake, he still won matches at the Trials over Gantt and Marstellar.  In fact, Wick has beaten Gantt twice in this tournament as he won on the backside earlier today.  If Wick wins his next match, he will 4-1 in the Trials tournament and 3rd in a bracket with Kyle Dake and Jason Nolf.  This is a tournament that Marinelli had every opportunity to try to qualify for, but decided to focus on the college season instead.  If you still want to argue that a guy who has never placed higher than 6th in three tries at the NCAA tournament is better than Wick, that's on you.
They've entered lots of tournaments together, plus wrestled each other several times.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

They've entered lots of tournaments together, plus wrestled each other several times.

Like the 2018 NCAA Championships where Wick took 3rd and Marinelli took 6th?

Or the 2019 NCAA Championships where Wick took 4th and Marinelli took 7th? 

Like the 2018 NCAA Championships where Wick took 3rd and Marinelli took 6th?
Or the 2019 NCAA Championships where Wick took 4th and Marinelli took 7th? 
Yes, those are two of them. There are others. Plus, again, you seem to be elliding over the fact that they have wrestled each other several times. And they have many common opponents.