jchapman

Better Career, Wick or Bull?

Better Career to Date: Wick or Bull?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Who has had a better wrestling career to date?

• Evan Wick
    • Alex Marinelli

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

Yes, those are two of them. There are others. Plus, again, you seem to be elliding over the fact that they have wrestled each other several times. And they have many common opponents.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That's a great point.  Just like how you keep discounting the fact that Marinelli keeps choking when it counts at the NCAA tournament. 

If Marinelli comes back next season, I think it's safe to say that he will go undefeated in the regular season and win the Big Tens again.  But I'd be willing to wager that Wick places higher at the NCAA Tournament.

That's a great point.  Just like how you keep discounting the fact that Marinelli keeps choking when it counts at the NCAA tournament. 

If Marinelli comes back next season, I think it's safe to say that he will go undefeated in the regular season and win the Big Tens again.  But I'd be willing to wager that Wick places higher at the NCAA Tournament.

Ok. Where have I discounted it? Here has been my stance throughout the thread: in think people would probably pick Wick's career because of the two higher placements at the NCAA tournament. By every other metric, Marinelli had been better, including four straight head to head wins.

Here is your position: Marinelli is a choking choker and nothing he did matters in terms of measuring them against each other.

So I'll tell you what, any time they wrestle each other, we can wager money on the outcome. I'll take Marinelli and you can take Wick. If you believe you have the better wrestler, this should be no issue for you, right?

On 4/3/2021 at 11:48 AM, VakAttack said:

Ok. Where have I discounted it? Here has been my stance throughout the thread: in think people would probably pick Wick's career because of the two higher placements at the NCAA tournament. By every other metric, Marinelli had been better, including four straight head to head wins.

Here is your position: Marinelli is a choking choker and nothing he did matters in terms of measuring them against each other.

So I'll tell you what, any time they wrestle each other, we can wager money on the outcome. I'll take Marinelli and you can take Wick. If you believe you have the better wrestler, this should be no issue for you, right?

How about we bet on who places higher at NCAA's next year?

41 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

How about we bet on who places higher at NCAA's next year?

We can bet on both of those things.  You feel you have the better wrestler and I feel I have the better wrestler.  So what say you?  Running bet on each individual match (unless one of us wants to concede that the other is right during the duration of their wrestling careers) plus a separate bet for higher NCAA placement.  Bet void if either of them don't come back or if they miss the tournament due to injury.

17 hours ago, VakAttack said:

We can bet on both of those things.  You feel you have the better wrestler and I feel I have the better wrestler.  So what say you?  Running bet on each individual match (unless one of us wants to concede that the other is right during the duration of their wrestling careers) plus a separate bet for higher NCAA placement.  Bet void if either of them don't come back or if they miss the tournament due to injury.

You still don't get it.  I, and apparently most on this board, are of the opinion that a better career is defined on how one performs at nationals.  Who cares what Alex did during the regular season and Big Tens, when he chokes every year when it counts?  

Alex is unbeatable during the regular season and at Big Tens, but he is a completely different wrestler at nationals.  Unfortunately for him, careers are defined at nationals.  

4 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

You still don't get it.  I, and apparently most on this board, are of the opinion that a better career is defined on how one performs at nationals.  Who cares what Alex did during the regular season and Big Tens, when he chokes every year when it counts?  

Alex is unbeatable during the regular season and at Big Tens, but he is a completely different wrestler at nationals.  Unfortunately for him, careers are defined at nationals.  

That's not the discussion we were having.  I already conceded that most people would pick Wick's career over Marinelli's, but I said I believe Marinelli is a better wrestler.  Ergo the offer. 

Here's an easy example for you:  Jake Rosholt placed 1-3-1-1.  David Taylor placed 2-1-2-1.  Who would you say was the better wrestler?  We both know you'd say David Taylor, but why?  Rosholt has better placements.  So we both know that the idea that the ONLY thing you judge it on is NCAA placement is BS.

It's a pretty simple proposition.  I said that Marinelli, despite having inferior NCAA placements, was a better wrestler, you seemed to disagree.  I even offered a separate bet that was on your proposed terms.  If you feel that you are right and I am wrong, it's a pretty simple bet.  Here you go:

1.  Each match the two wrestle head to head will be $20 a pop, unless and until one of us concedes the point.

2.  Higher NCAA placement next year presuming both wrestle, $100.

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

That's not the discussion we were having.  I already conceded that most people would pick Wick's career over Marinelli's, but I said I believe Marinelli is a better wrestler.  Ergo the offer. 

Here's an easy example for you:  Jake Rosholt placed 1-3-1-1.  David Taylor placed 2-1-2-1.  Who would you say was the better wrestler?  We both know you'd say David Taylor, but why?  Rosholt has better placements.  So we both know that the idea that the ONLY thing you judge it on is NCAA placement is BS.

It's a pretty simple proposition.  I said that Marinelli, despite having inferior NCAA placements, was a better wrestler, you seemed to disagree.  I even offered a separate bet that was on your proposed terms.  If you feel that you are right and I am wrong, it's a pretty simple bet.  Here you go:

1.  Each match the two wrestle head to head will be $20 a pop, unless and until one of us concedes the point.

2.  Higher NCAA placement next year presuming both wrestle, $100.

Taylor is better because he made an Olympic team and won a senior world championship on top of his 2 NCAA titles, and Rosholt has done nothing on the senior level.  

Taylor is better because he made an Olympic team and won a senior world championship on top of his 2 NCAA titles, and Rosholt has done nothing on the senior level.  
So until 2018, you would have ranked Jake Rosholt as a better wrestler than David Taylor? Come on.

Anyway, do you accept the bets? If you believe Wick is a better wrestler, this seems like easy money for you.

13 hours ago, VakAttack said:

So until 2018, you would have ranked Jake Rosholt as a better wrestler than David Taylor? Come on.

Anyway, do you accept the bets? If you believe Wick is a better wrestler, this seems like easy money for you.

I already said I will bet you on who places higher at the NCAA tournament next season

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

I already said I will bet you on who places higher at the NCAA tournament next season

If you think Wick is a better wrestler, why would you not bet me on their individual matches?  You keep dancing around this.

Anyway, I accept the NCAA bet, void if one of them doesn't compete.

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

If you think Wick is a better wrestler, why would you not bet me on their individual matches?  You keep dancing around this.

Anyway, I accept the NCAA bet, void if one of them doesn't compete.

AM is the better regular season wrestler.  Does that make you happy?

How about a sig bet on who places higher at the 2022 NCAA Tournament?

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Are you uncomfortable betting money?

I don't know you.  There is no way to ensure you will pay.  You could be like Blue Dragons or Cinnabuns for all I know.