BigTimeFan

With Spencer Lee out who’s our Rep?

2 hours ago, nom said:

I’m kinda leaning Gilman or Suriano.  I like Vito but his defense is not as good as these two and defense is pretty key.  

I really hope it is not Fix.  I just picture myself watching the Olympics and screaming at the TV to ‘DO SOMETHING!’ 

I agree with this. Just rewatched Gilman-Fix at the Grand Prix. With all the usual caveats Gilman’s defense is very strong and Vito left himself wide open to shots all through the second period. Vito was also pretty weak once Gilman got to a leg. 

14 hours ago, BigTimeFan said:

You mean as far as where they went to high school ?  The good news is that this will surely change in the next two cycles. 

Surely change? An Olympic gold is a chancy prop for any wrestler. Who are you thinking of? I would bet on Dake/JB, Taylor, Cox/Snyder, and maybe Gable to medal, with only a healthy Taylor being a clear favorite. None of them are from PA though...

26 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Surely change? An Olympic gold is a chancy prop for any wrestler. Who are you thinking of? I would bet on Dake/JB, Taylor, Cox/Snyder, and maybe Gable to medal, with only a healthy Taylor being a clear favorite. None of them are from PA though...

I was thinking medals and trying to put a positive spin on it. Also thinking that Lee will win in three years and maybe one of Nolf, Vincenzo or Starocci. But yeah, PA is screwed. 

14 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

I'm leaning Suriano. Gilman wouldn't surprise me, but I don't like his upside at this point. Same deal with Fix (who would have thought that a few years ago and what happened to his trap arm gut???).

Scouting, sets it up the same way every time.  Scouting a huge part of senior level freestyle and his opponents have gotten a feel for it now.  Still can pull it off obviously, but he'll need to mix it up more with the setup. 

Edited by Gantry

3 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Scouting, sets it up the same way every time.  Scouting a huge part of senior level freestyle and his opponents have gotten a feel for it now.  Still can pull it off obviously, but he'll need to mix it up more with the setup. 

True, but I don't know the last time I've even see him attempt it. It's strange that he seems to have less offense than he did 3-4 years ago. How do you not develop a leg attack under John Smith???

10 hours ago, Gantry said:

It is also true that the refs are giving less time on top in parterre - I don't think he is likely to have the time to use that technique.

I could see any of these guys getting hot and winning it. I feel Gilman, Suriano, and Fix have the best chance to put an entire tournament together, but thats not to say Gross and Vito can't win some matches and upset these guys.  I'm goin Gilman riding the Penn State hot streak. 

Edited by jbai3_12

Suriano starts the tourney with his worst single match matchup in Gross, who I think he would smash best of three after he got a feel. On the flip side, the only people I think can beat this version of Suriano in a best of three are Gilman and Fix, and Gilman is on the same side so that isn’t happening. It’s going to be interesting.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Suriano starts the tourney with his worst single match matchup in Gross, who I think he would smash best of three after he got a feel. On the flip side, the only people I think can beat this version of Suriano in a best of three are Gilman and Fix, and Gilman is on the same side so that isn’t happening. It’s going to be interesting.

That 5 vs. 4 matchup between Suriano and Gross is going to be exciting