NJDan

Koll on Cornell at NCAAs

6 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Coach Koll says his team would have had 4 finalists and 7-8 AAs.

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6910481-2021-last-chance-us-olympic-trials-qualifier/videos?playing=6937208&limit=60

Is he nuts or is that the truth?

Would the team title have come with those results?

Well he is the coach and he's talking about his team.  Of course he is going to say that.  But the sad fact is you can never know what might have been.  Hopefully he gets a shot next year with the same group of guys.

2 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

Well he is the coach and he's talking about his team.  Of course he is going to say that.  But the sad fact is you can never know what might have been.  Hopefully he gets a shot next year with the same group of guys.

Not "of course." Very few coaches would say that.

38 minutes ago, NJDan said:

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6910481-2021-last-chance-us-olympic-trials-qualifier/videos?playing=6937208&limit=60

Vito at 125 if he was opposite Spencer, Yianni at 141, Dean at 184 if he was opposite of brooks and Darmstadt at 197 if he was on bonocorsi side is pretty believable they could have 4 ....Foca, Fernandes,and maybe Saunders could have AAed as well..... 285 was pretty stacked, it would’ve taken a good draw to get one there ...the biggest impact on the team race would have been knocking Eierman to wrestlebacks and taking points from penn state at 141 and maybe 184 ..Cornell would’ve have probably helped Iowa lock up the title earlier 

Unrelated, but kind of interesting to think, Shane Griffith NCAA Champion needs a  new school to continue Wrestling, add to Cornell's Yiannii, Arujau,, Dean, Darmstadt,   rumors are Griffith to Penn State, But Academically Cornell is more like Stanford then Penn State is (Penn State is a good school, but not IVY League Academically)  Cornell could be a contender for NCAA title, But Iowa or Penn State would be favored still.

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

I couldn't see them topping Iowa.  PSU had 4 champs and came in second.  I think the 4 guys everyone mentioned would have been in the finals.  Foca and Yapoujian would have been AA's, so there's your 6 AA's.  If they went with Richard at 149, I think he would have also made the podium.  Fernandes is a close call.  I don't think Ramirez or 133 would have placed.  Probably 3rd or 4th place as a team.

Edited by ShakaAloha

Cornell next season will be in the podium, and could even win. 

20+ points at 125, 149, 184 

10+ points likely (r12-AA type guys) - 141, 157, 165, 174, 197, 285

potential hole - 133, with multiple options to fix it. 

I expect them to qualify all 10. If they do well in R12, I think they end up with 6-7 AAs. Very possible. I’d say 4 AAs is a “lock”, and then with 5 in R12, that’s certainly possible. 

They will also play a huge role in Penn State’s and Iowa’s runs. Yianni will knock someone to the backside. It adds another guy who both teams will lose to 9/10. 184 could knock Iowa out or push PSU to the backside. Could end up helping PSU assuming Brooks is better. I will say Dean has looked much improved and his toughness definitely is an advantage at NCAAs. His style is made for it

5 hours ago, dougb said:

Unrelated, but kind of interesting to think, Shane Griffith NCAA Champion needs a  new school to continue Wrestling, add to Cornell's Yiannii, Arujau,, Dean, Darmstadt,   rumors are Griffith to Penn State, But Academically Cornell is more like Stanford then Penn State is (Penn State is a good school, but not IVY League Academically)  Cornell could be a contender for NCAA title, But Iowa or Penn State would be favored still.

I like the idea but grad school folks don’t compete in Ivy athletics I believe.

Very much looking forward to next season with all teams back.  Cornell has a tall hill to climb.  I like the opinions on the tried and true guys.  And I hope the high opinions of the new guys are right but these weights are going to be stacked.  Trying to keep expectations more reasonable.  AA as a first year is hard.  There is a lot of focus on those that do it.  But so many more don’t.

Ok. Now watched the interview.

KOLL IS AWESOME ... are there any coaches that come anywhere near to the frank and open commentary that Koll gives?  He is such a breath of fresh air.

Probably helps that he appears to be reading my posts and parroting my ideas.  

1) NCAA finals were boring 

2) we need a step out rule

3) wrestle for 4 years, move on and get a job

And yes, he is high on his guys and he clearly states that his opinions are obviously colored by that.  

Edited by nom

4 finalists and 7-8 AA’s is believable but would’ve required no one underperforming, and they wouldn’t have beaten Iowa.

Yianni of course likely does make the finals, Arujua too but we’d have to assume Glory is there as well so would have had to beat him.  Dean has losses to Venz and Deprez and Darmstadt has taken a bunch of losses too so neither of them would be a sure thing.

Did Koll really say people should “wrestle for 4 years and move on?  I’m sure Yianni etc would have used the “free year” if they could.  And since we’ve been talking about age recently I believe all 3 of Arujua, Dean and Darmstadt will be 7 years out of HS once they’re seniors.   Vito and Dean grayshirted their first year, Olympic redshirted in 2020 then I believe their whole team grayshirted this year after the Ivy’s decision, so Vito will be a 5th year sophomore and Dean a 6th year junior.  Darmstadt didn’t do an ORS, but did do the initial grayshirt and 2021, I believe he may have grayshirted in 2019 when he was injured as well but not sure.

Edited by 1032004

5 minutes ago, nom said:

KOLL IS AWESOME ... are there any coaches that come anywhere near to the frank and open commentary that Koll gives?  He is such a breadth of fresh air.

Probably helps that he appears to be reading my posts and parroting my ideas.  

• 1) NCAA finals were boring 
  • 2) we need a step out rule
  • 3) wrestle for 4 years, move on and get a job

I watched the video of Koll and thought we must be family given our similar opinions... Weird.  Here you are saying the same thing.  Are we third cousins?

Same thoughts about Koll being a lurker on this forum... but think... his comments echo the evolution of many of us that follow both freestyle and folkstyle.  Koll changed his traditionalist opinions.  The step out rule HAS NOT caused sumo wrestling in freestyle.  The step out point is one of the only objective scores.  Riding time is not entertaining.  Hooking the leg, etc. is boring.  The top man is not trying to score back points... Koll doesn't like the rules but PSU is great at what they do and Koll will do it too until the rules are changed.  There should be scoring action that continues out of bounds.... What is a 27 year old man doing wrestling 18 year old boys... get a life... Love to see a coach tell it like it is.

4 minutes ago, RichB said:

Considering the amount of Gray Shirting at Cornell, I guess we are going to see a lot of guys stop wrestling after their junior years?

It's possible to advocate for the world one would like to see while at the same time doing what is necessary to remain competitive under a current set of rules one doesn't actually like.

4 minutes ago, RichB said:

Considering the amount of Gray Shirting at Cornell, I guess we are going to see a lot of guys stop wrestling after their junior years?

It's possible to advocate for the world one would like to see while at the same time doing what is necessary to remain competitive under a current set of rules one doesn't actually like.

9 hours ago, dmm53 said:

Koll is going to sue to claim he would have had 6 AAs. 

He's hoping it will go to SCOTUS where angry drunken frat boys like Brett Cavanaugh will side with him.

Of course a Kornell guy would at least know Brett’s last name begins with a “K.”

10 hours ago, NJDan said:

Boom! Koll putting a huge * on it! 

9 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Vito at 125 if he was opposite Spencer, Yianni at 141, Dean at 184 if he was opposite of brooks and Darmstadt at 197 if he was on bonocorsi side is pretty believable they could have 4 ....Foca, Fernandes,and maybe Saunders could have AAed as well..... 285 was pretty stacked, it would’ve taken a good draw to get one there ...the biggest impact on the team race would have been knocking Eierman to wrestlebacks and taking points from penn state at 141 and maybe 184 ..Cornell would’ve have probably helped Iowa lock up the title earlier 

With the condition Spencer was in for NCAAs Vito would have been a dangerous wrestler for him.  I could easily see Vito knocking of  a seriously hobbled Spencer.

As stated above - Koll would like things done a certain way.  He acknowledges what many are doing is within the rules and they are doing their best to win.  He is clear about this in the interview if you just listen to it.  

He also works within the rules that are given him to try to be amongst the best.  Perfectly fine to want it all to be different though.