Katie

Which school has the “smartest” wrestlers?

Which school has the smartest wrestlers?

Definitely not one of the D1 schools, which are notorious for giving breaks to athletes. (Of course, individual athletes at D1 schools can be highly intelligent.)

I believe Cornell even has some sort of public school attached to it — the Ag school — which focuses on farming topics. So an athlete at Cornell could potentially benefit from getting a break as an athlete *and* a second break for attending the Ag school. 

My guess is the smartest wrestlers are at the University of Chicago (D3).

(Edited after feedback.)

Edited by Katie

48 minutes ago, Katie said:

Definitely not one of the D1 schools, which are notorious for giving breaks to athletes. (Of course, individual athletes at D1 schools can be highly intelligent.)

I believe Cornell even has some sort of public school attached to it — the Ag school — which focuses on farming topics. So an athlete at Cornell could potentially benefit from getting a break as an athlete *and* a second break for attending the Ag school. 

My guess is the smartest wrestlers are at MIT (D3).

Perhaps you should learn more about the Ag school at Cornell.  It may be the easiest school to get into at Cornell, but that doesn't mean the coursework is easy.  Being also less expensive than Engineering or Arts, many go to the Ag school and take as many non-Ag course as they are allowed.

Darmstadt is in the Ag school,  but he was an Honors/AP student in HS.  The Ag school is not a parking spot for less-academically inclined students.

59 minutes ago, Katie said:

I will disagree. since ivy league or those types of institutions aren't getting their wrestlers out of the student population that qualified academically to attend the school, but are recruiting the best wrestlers they think they can qualify academically, sometimes one way or another.

Edited by Coachp

2 hours ago, Coachp said:

I will disagree. since ivy league or those types of institutions aren't getting their wrestlers out of the student population that qualified academically to attend the school, but are recruiting the best wrestlers they think they can qualify academically, sometimes one way or another.

I’m not sure we disagree.

Most elite schools routinely admit the children of donors, and the children of those with family ties, even though they would never be admitted without such connections.

I’m not sure what it means for those privileged students to “qualify” academically, but there does not appear to be one set, universal standard for what makes a student “qualified.”

It sounds like you’re saying the same thing. 

4 hours ago, Katie said:

It would have to be their club team or random students on campus; MIT dropped wrestling as a sponsored varsity sport a number of years ago.

6 hours ago, Katie said:

The way people look down on AG school is absolutely atrocious... your food doesn't come from a store you know this right?  They are the people that are going to be feeding you and its a 24 hour job.

2 hours ago, PSUSMC said:

It would have to be their club team or random students on campus; MIT dropped wrestling as a sponsored varsity sport a number of years ago.

Gotcha.  So my guess is now the University of Chicago.

Stevens Institute of Technology

In terms of their performance in wrestling and academics are both pretty darn high.

Not sure who it would be if you are talking about a team of astrophysicists who just so happen to wear a singlet.

Good topic, and have definitely seen the top studs in the pa nj area leveraging their talents to go mostly Ivy in the last couple of years.  Can’t speak to their smarts, but Ivy athletic admission is governed by the athletic index for each team (permits one standard deviation away from avg accepted stats) so it’s safe to say that Ivy teams aren’t loaded with dummies (although a less stellar academic recruit could be balanced by bringing a real smart kid in also).  But I did hear one powerhouse hs coach jokingly comment that his kid is probably the stupidest kid to ever get into xxx Ivy - so there likely is some good latitude.

Would generally agree about D3, but I know Nescac schools can be fierce recruiters for athletes - Williams and Wesleyan are little ivies with wrestling programs who typically are at the top of the learfield cup rankings for sports.  Apart from those two you have to include Hopkins, Chicago, NYU and W&L to round out my top echelon.  Six very very good schools that are not guaranteed admits for any kid - so if you can use wrestling to help gain admission to any of those, then the sport has given back to you quite nicely..

20 hours ago, Katie said:

I’m not sure we disagree.

Most elite schools routinely admit the children of donors, and the children of those with family ties, even though they would never be admitted without such connections.

I’m not sure what it means for those privileged students to “qualify” academically, but there does not appear to be one set, universal standard for what makes a student “qualified.”

It sounds like you’re saying the same thing. 

Yes, we agree

23 hours ago, klehner said:

Perhaps you should learn more about the Ag school at Cornell.  It may be the easiest school to get into at Cornell, but that doesn't mean the coursework is easy.  Being also less expensive than Engineering or Arts, many go to the Ag school and take as many non-Ag course as they are allowed.

Darmstadt is in the Ag school,  but he was an Honors/AP student in HS.  The Ag school is not a parking spot for less-academically inclined students.

Maybe Darmstadt has better academic credentials than just “Honors/AP student in HS,” but it usually takes a lot more than that for non-athletes to be accepted into Ivy League schools...