shieldofpistis

Current college Gable vs prime college Snyder

I haven't seen a thread only on this.  If it existed after the tournament it was short lived.  

Say Snyder and Gable met up three times- in duals, in big ten, and in ncaa championship who wins 2 out of 3?  

When I say prime Gable I mean current Gable.  Obviously he may get better.  But this thread is about current. 

As far as Snyder; I guess you have to pick which season he was at his college best.  Then decide if he could defeat Gable 2 out of 3.  

Personally; I dont think Snyder's Olympic gold can be oversold.  I think he would have ability to make adjustments.  I think mental game and technique goes to Snyder.  Size and strength obviously Gsble. Gable may have speed. 

I dont think either wrestler sweeps the other.

12 minutes ago, Return of Aztec said:

Stephen Neal has been my go-to for the best college heavyweight I've seen. Watching Gable Steveson this year was the first time I thought I might be watching someone who could beat him. 

Exactly right.  Snyder is 3rd best of the three.  

Snyder wins this.   Steveson doesn't have the length, size or technique to deal with Snyder. Snyder was world and Olympic champ at his age.   I think Steveson will be an Olympian this year, so we'll see how he does.  I look forward to seeing what he can do.

2 minutes ago, Elevator said:

I've heard Haselrig (RIP) was something too, but looking at the video does not seem like they trained the same back then.  How good was McCoy compared to Neal?

McCoy seemed to have Neal figured out in 2000 - when Neal lost the Olympic spot to McCoy he decided to pursue football.

If Gable did the Brock lesnar routine and replaced what appears to be 35+ lbs of babyfat with solid muscle, he would probably elevate to GOAT territory.  Imagine how much of a physical specimen he would be, compounded by his technique, speed, agility and overall wrestling IQ.  Gable would be unstoppable.

Snyder had the gold medal while in college, something Gable doesn't have.  Did Neal? I dont know.  But saying is the third best with the best world credentials so far might be premature.  

I think Snyder had better technique and a gameplan for guys who were Gables size.  

Kerk actually didn't do that bad against Gablr considering circumstances.  Snyder is much more ready for Gable than Kerk. 

I dont know who wins best of three.  But I think those who think Gable would sweep Snyder are being ptisoners of the moment.  

I predict Gable would win the dual match same way Coon did.  Last period takedown.  Then I predict Snyder would make adjustments and win big 10 title over Gable.  

I lean Gable at the ncaa tourny after he felt Snyders adjustments, but I would NOT bet the farm against Snyder.  He is the better technical wrestler.

2 hours ago, treep2000 said:

If Gable did the Brock lesnar routine and replaced what appears to be 35+ lbs of babyfat with solid muscle, he would probably elevate to GOAT territory.  Imagine how much of a physical specimen he would be, compounded by his technique, speed, agility and overall wrestling IQ.  Gable would be unstoppable.

Meh.. It is a wrestling match not a bodybuilding contest.  Bruce B. never had the physique of a Lesnar.  Gable has gigantic shoulders and lower body. I don't think he is packing 35 lbs of muscle on his frame

This version of Gable pretty easily beat the best version (according to Gwiazdowski himself) version of Gwiazdowski at the RTC cup.  The score was close but the match was never in doubt.

Snyder needed to come from behind to beat Gwiazdowski in OT.

There are other correlations, such as the Coon ones.

Steveson beats Snyder easily.  This version of Steveson may be the best NCAA HWT we have ever seen.

32 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

This version of Gable pretty easily beat the best version (according to Gwiazdowski himself) version of Gwiazdowski at the RTC cup.  The score was close but the match was never in doubt.

Steveson beats Snyder easily.  This version of Steveson may be the best NCAA HWT we have ever seen.

Steveson is more polished than Neal, as Steveson has alwats had the best coaching and training because he was always the man.  Steveson is obviously a fantastic athlete, but Neal was as well.  More one-dimensional than Gable but incredibly athletic and a phenomenal motor.  He would give up some early scores in international freestyle, but then put a pace on guys who would wilt.  He was also much longer than Gable.  I believe Neal won worlds after his senior season.  I am not sure who wins between Neal and Gable.  Gable has more going for him technically while also being an amazing athlete.  Neal had that athleticism, along with legth and that gas tank.  (And yes, Gable looks to be in good cardio shape this year.)

I don't think senior year of college Snyder beats the best version of college Neal.

41 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Although I do agree with a lot of what you say, didn't Gwiz get off the mat from his comeback against Paris not long before the Gable match? And Gable was completely fresh.

I might have to take that into account, at least a little.

Edited by AHamilton

1 minute ago, AHamilton said:

Although I do agree with a lot of what you say, didn't Gwiz get off the mat from his comeback against Paris not long before the Gable match? And Gable was completely fresh.

Yes he did.

Gwiaz dismissed any excuses himself and said he was able to give 100% effort, though.

44 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Sophomore Snyder went into ot with gwiz. Not senior.  With the way that match went if they rematched i think Snyder would win by larger margin.  He learned off balance doubles worried better that singles vs gwiz

3 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

Sophomore Snyder went into ot with gwiz. Not senior.  With the way that match went if they rematched i think Snyder would win by larger margin.  He learned off balance doubles worried better that singles vs gwiz

Okay.  Senior Snyder actually lost to Coon. 

Gable, who is bigger, faster, stronger, and better than he was last year, beat Coon very easily when last they met.  It wasn't even a match and it never will be again.

34 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Okay.  Senior Snyder actually lost to Coon. 

Gable, who is bigger, faster, stronger, and better than he was last year, beat Coon very easily when last they met.  It wasn't even a match and it never will be again.

If Gable Steveson had 65 or 70 pounds and 6-7 inches on Snyder, then this transitive property might not be moot.

21 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

If Gable Steveson had 65 or 70 pounds and 6-7 inches on Snyder, then this transitive property might not be moot.

6-7?  Snyder is only 5'10" tall?

How does this not look like Snyder-Dean then?

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Oh, Gabe Dean is a tad shorter than Kyle Snyder. What does that have to do with the subject of the conversation?

You brought up height as the reasoning for Coon beating Snyder.  I made the comparison because Dean also lost to Snyder because he was 6-7" shorter.