Sign in to follow this  
BuckyBadger

Daughter Interested in Wrestling

Hoping to get some useful tips here.

My daughter is 7 and she has done a number of different sports (soccer, gymnastics, swimming).

She sees how much I love wrestling. She’ll watch matches with me and we’ll play wrestle at home. She has recently expressed an interest in trying youth wrestling.

I’ve looked online at local youth clubs and most of the websites don’t have much information posted other than a brief intro and practice times.

I want this to be a positive experience for her, but am unsure if there are many girls enrolled at the youth level.

Do others here with kids in youth wrestling have girls in their club? Is it just 1 or 2 girls or are there enough to have separate practices? What’s the dynamic like at practice/competitions at that age with girls on the team of what I assume are mostly young boys?

I appreciate any info.

the club my boys were in as youths had a fairly large girl contingent... 10+ if i remember correctly...

in youth wrestling, boys and girls used to wrestle the same divisions... there is now typically a girls division at all the major youth tourneys...

what i found was up to U10ish, the girls were actually very competitive with boys and easier to coach...

the girls who excel can then become competitive once again in HS when the overall level of wrestling takes a nose dive again...

where are you located?