Elevator

Cornell in 2022 EIWA finals

Will Cornell run the table in the 2022 EIWA finals?

125 Greg D over lane

133 Vito over Glory

141 Saunders over Colaiocco

149 Yianni over Ogunsanya

157 Yapoujian over Zapf

165 Ramirez/Richard over Hartman

174 Foca over Stefanik

184 Dean over DePrez

197 Darmstadt over Jakobson

Hwt Fernandes over Wood 

14 minutes ago, Elevator said:

125 Greg D over lane

133 Vito over Glory

157 Yapoujian over Zapf

174 Foca over Stefanik

184 Dean over DePrez

Hwt Fernandes over Wood 

Just stop with the Cornell stuff.  Especially the silly stuff.

I wish folks would calm down with hyping the new guys on the team that have not proved anything yet at the D1 level.  So often we see guys get hyped up and then do pretty damn well ... but not at the level of the ridiculous hype and suddenly people are 'disappointed.'  

To answer the OP -- no way, no how.  Not going to happen.

Cornell has at least five guys who already have proven success in D1 folkstyle. Several will have at least an extra year post high school in the Cornell/Finger Lakes RTC training environment so not quite like true freshmen.    

1 hour ago, Elevator said:

125 Greg D over lane

133 Vito over Glory

157 Yapoujian over Zapf

174 Foca over Stefanik

184 Dean over DePrez

Hwt Fernandes over Wood 

157 will be loaded in the EIWA next year - Humphreys LU, Monday Prct, Hartman Army, Cerniglia Navy, & either Artalona or Zapf Penn.  Yapoujian will have his work cut out for him.  Aside from Lane at 125 you will have some very good rookies coming in with Peterson Prct, & Miller Penn and Manchio Colb is back along with Curry if he uses the extra year. 141 is a wide open weight and although Saunders may be in the mix he has a lot to prove 1st.  The current favorite is probably 2019 runner up Kazimir Colb.  Hartman will be favored at 165 and Conigliaro Harv is really tough also.  Pasiuk Army and O'Malley Drex are pretty tough but I must say Foca has looked good.  Navy has good upper weight at 184 & 197 who could be in the mix with Key and Koser.  At heavyweight besides Wood who is going for his 5th EIWA title the Harvard kid Slavikouski is tough.  I would be very surprised to see Cornell end up with 10 finalists let alone 10 Champions.  Still they enter the year as a huge favorite to win by a large amount.

Edited by lu1979

LU79 - that is informative.  I was not suggesting that Cornell winning ten weights or even pushing ten into finals is likely, but a slew of Cornell wrestlers in the finals is not crazy and may well go 10 for 10 into the semis.  For reasons you reference, I would take the under on a Cornell champ at 157 right now, but whomever wins the spot at 157 will be tough.   

You are trying to hurt my wreslting forum feelings.  Seems to me that Cornell may have its strongest team ever - could be top 5 team and dominant in EIWA tourney.     

Yeah, except this is about the fifth thread about them.  I'm as big a fan of Cornell as they come, but "c'mon, man!"

Watching them at the Last Chance trials and prior freestyle events and they are impressive!  I did not see what happened with Richard though, did he compete?  I really do not know that much about their recruits other than what I read, but they look to be very formidable next year.  Not sure they are ahead of Iowa, PSU, but they may one of the teams right below that level. Since we all just saw most of the other top teams at NCAA, why is concerning to you that Cornell is being discussed?? Do you have an exclusive Cornell wrestle-posting franchise?

LU79 - that is informative.  I was not suggesting that Cornell winning ten weights or even pushing ten into finals is likely, but a slew of Cornell wrestlers in the finals is not crazy and may well go 10 for 10 into the semis.  For reasons you reference, I would take the under on a Cornell champ at 157 right now, but whomever wins the spot at 157 will be tough.   

Huge Cornell fan here, but Big Red is not getting all 10 into the finals much less winning all 10 weights at EIWA.  That's crazy.  This isn't Mizzou and the MAC, or Campbell in the SoCon.

1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

157 will be loaded in the EIWA next year - Humphreys LU, Monday Prct, Hartman Army, Cerniglia Navy, & either Artalona or Zapf Penn.  Yapoujian will have his work cut out for him.  Aside from Lane at 125 you will have some very good rookies coming in with Peterson Prct, & Miller Penn and Manchio Colb is back along with Curry if he uses the extra year. 141 is a wide open weight and although Saunders may be in the mix he has a lot to prove 1st.  The current favorite is probably 2019 runner up Kazimir Colb.  Hartman will be favored at 165 and Conigliaro Harv is really tough also.  Pasiuk Army and O'Malley Drex are pretty tough but I must say Foca has looked good.  Navy has good upper weight at 184 & 197 who could be in the mix with Key and Koser.  At heavyweight besides Wood who is going for his 5th EIWA title the Harvard kid Slavikouski is tough.  I would be very surprised to see Cornell end up with 10 finalists let alone 10 Champions.  Still they enter the year as a huge favorite to win by a large amount.

O’Malley really had Focas number in high school, beat him multiple times O’Malleys senior year including the state finals, should be interesting  to see if Foca can get over that hump 

1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

I'm not saying you are, but don't sell Yapoujian short.  He beat Markus Hartman 2-0 in the 2019-2020 season.  Yapoujian also beat Zach Hartman the same day, 6-3.  Both at 157, both before he got injured.

Fernandes pinned Slavilouski, by the way, in their only meeting.

Cornell won't have ten finalists, that is just silly.  However,

Title lock:  Yianni, Darmstadt

Finalist "lock":  Vito (vs Glory, if 125), Dean (Deprez), Yapoujian (Humphrey), Foca (Pasiuk), Fernandes (Wood)

As for the other weights, Cornell will have some mix of Greg Diakomihalis, Chayse Lajoie (2x Michigan champion), Saunders, and Ramirez.

As you say, certainly cause for hope for Cornell fans.

17 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

O’Malley really had Focas number in high school, beat him multiple times O’Malleys senior year including the state finals, should be interesting  to see if Foca can get over that hump 

An interesting comparison:

https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/wrestler/50836/omalley-michael/56712/foca-chris

(Foca 4-1 vs common opponents with three falls, O'Malley 2-3 with close decisions)

2 hours ago, Elevator said:

On that I would agree - Cornell enters next year with both some highly proven guys and some seriously great freshmen who have shown great promise in their grey shirt and Covid years.  I expect them to be the dominant team in the EIWA next year and as much as it pains me to admit as a LU alum I don't think it's going to be close.  I hope Lehigh and Princeton can prove me wrong.

44 minutes ago, klehner said:

I'm not saying you are, but don't sell Yapoujian short.  He beat Markus Hartman 2-0 in the 2019-2020 season.  Yapoujian also beat Zach Hartman the same day, 6-3.  Both at 157, both before he got injured.

Fernandes pinned Slavilouski, by the way, in their only meeting.

Cornell won't have ten finalists, that is just silly.  However,

Title lock:  Yianni, Darmstadt

Finalist "lock":  Vito (vs Glory, if 125), Dean (Deprez), Yapoujian (Humphrey), Foca (Pasiuk), Fernandes (Wood)

As for the other weights, Cornell will have some mix of Greg Diakomihalis, Chayse Lajoie (2x Michigan champion), Saunders, and Ramirez.

As you say, certainly cause for hope for Cornell fans.

Yianni we all agree on - I am not sure Darmstadt has the starting spot locked up but whoever Cornell starts will be a favorite (not a lock) at EIWAs - Max Dean & Vito we agree on - Yapoujian may end up having a great year but he will start the season ranked pretty far down in the EIWAs deepest weight.  Q Monday was the #5 seed in the cancelled 2020 NCAAs .  The new guys have a lot of potential but as my old coach used to say "Let's wait till they win a few" before we start handing out the awards.

So 7 locks for final (including 2 lcoks for champ), but its "silly" to suggest they may be close to ten in the finals with "some mix of Greg Diakomihalis, Chayse Lajoie (2x Michigan champion), Saunders, and Ramirez."   This is the Saunders who just looked very good at the Last Chance tourney?   

I think Lehigh has had the most EIWA champs ever, with 7, in 1975 (out of 8 finalist).  Cornell has had 5 champs several times, most recently 2015, when they had 6 in the finals.

Good sources would be the EIWA website - EIWA Wrestling - Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association, and of course, Boomer's Home (wrestlingstats.com)

Edited by red blades

26 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

Yianni we all agree on - I am not sure Darmstadt has the starting spot locked up but whoever Cornell starts will be a favorite (not a lock) at EIWAs - Max Dean & Vito we agree on - Yapoujian may end up having a great year but he will start the season ranked pretty far down in the EIWAs deepest weight.  Q Monday was the #5 seed in the cancelled 2020 NCAAs .  The new guys have a lot of potential but as my old coach used to say "Let's wait till they win a few" before we start handing out the awards.

Ramirez beat Monday 10-0 in freestyle the year.  That may have been a weight mismatch, though.

1 hour ago, klehner said:

An interesting comparison:

https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/wrestler/50836/omalley-michael/56712/foca-chris

(Foca 4-1 vs common opponents with three falls, O'Malley 2-3 with close decisions)

Pretty interesting style match up, Foca attacks all the time, with high volume and O’Malley is pretty conservative with his amount of attacks, I could see O’Malley giving him problems but Foca doing more damage nationally 

4 hours ago, Elevator said:

You are trying to hurt my wreslting forum feelings.  Seems to me that Cornell may have its strongest team ever - could be top 5 team and dominant in EIWA tourney.     

Absolutely. They could very well cut into the Iowa total in Detroit.

6 hours ago, Elevator said:

125 Greg D over lane

133 Vito over Glory

157 Yapoujian over Zapf

174 Foca over Stefanik

184 Dean over DePrez

Hwt Fernandes over Wood 

Lehigh did send 10 and garnished 11.5 so maybe...