Perry

14 to Zero

That's the number of OTT representatives Penn state/NLWC is sending compared to Iowa/HWC with Spencer on the DL. Iowa is fresh off their first national title in a decade and has no representation at the trials let alone the Olympics. Pair this with the 4 champs to 1 at ncaas. How does this look to young recruits planning where to go to excel at their craft? Does the future of recruiting look to favor PSU with this in mind? Will Iowa be stuck poaching talent from other schools and hoping for 6th year extensions? None of their incoming guys (besides maybe Kennedy) look to be at the level of a spencer, kemmerer, etc. Will brands be limited to winning titles with double recruiting classes and 7th year senior/transfer squads? Curious what you all think this could mean for the future of B1G recruiting. 

I believe it's 13-1. Sammy Brooks is going, isn't he?

NLWC:

57: Gilman, RBY

65: Lee, Zain

74: Nolf, Cenzo, CStar

86: A. Brooks, Nickal, DT

97: Snyder

125: Nevills, Kerk

HWC:

86kg: S. Brooks

Edited by Le duke

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Legit topic.   Recruits with world and Olympic aspirations have one less decision to make. 

There really isn't much of a difference. If it is about competing at which university will prepare you for an international career. Here is the number of former Iowa wrestlers vs. number of former PSU wrestlers to make the last 10 US World or Olympic freestyle teams. Nebraska and Ohio State probably have more than either.

2019: Iowa - 0, PSU - 1

2018: Iowa - 1, PSU - 1

2017:  Iowa - 1, PSU - 1

2016: Iowa - 1, PSU - 1

2015: Iowa - 2, PSU - 0

2014: Iowa - 2, PSU - 1

2013: Iowa - 1, PSU - 0

2012: Iowa - 0, PSU - 0

2011: Iowa - 0, PSU - 0

2010: Iowa - 2, PSU - 0

If we want to compare club teams, then it doesn't really matter where you go to college, since you're not stuck with the club related to your university. If you want the best club team then you have to be willing to spend the cash. NLWC might be the next Foxcatcher, but the only real comparison point we have right now is Gilman's results at the HWC vs. Gilman's results at the NLWC.

5 minutes ago, Cruocified said:

There really isn't much of a difference. If it is about competing at which university will prepare you for an international career. Here is the number of former Iowa wrestlers vs. number of former PSU wrestlers to make the last 10 US World or Olympic freestyle teams. Nebraska and Ohio State probably have more than either.

2019: Iowa - 0, PSU - 1

2018: Iowa - 1, PSU - 1

2017:  Iowa - 1, PSU - 1

2016: Iowa - 1, PSU - 1

2015: Iowa - 2, PSU - 0

2014: Iowa - 2, PSU - 1

2013: Iowa - 1, PSU - 0

2012: Iowa - 0, PSU - 0

2011: Iowa - 0, PSU - 0

2010: Iowa - 2, PSU - 0

If we want to compare club teams, then it doesn't really matter where you go to college, since you're not stuck with the club related to your university. If you want the best club team then you have to be willing to spend the cash. NLWC might be the next Foxcatcher, but the only real comparison point we have right now is Gilman's results at the HWC vs. Gilman's results at the NLWC.

Penn State 2021 number is TBD while Iowa's number is already set.  That is the whole point. 

NLWC clearly demonstrates more support for PSU alum. Around a year go, there was a long  discussion about PSU deferring scholarship to NLWC sponsorship. Apparently legal, so the RTC is not separate from the college at all.  Gilman's move to NLWC is a bad look for Iowa regardless of his results. 

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Penn State 2021 number is TBD while Iowa's number is already set.  That is the whole point. 

NLWC clearly demonstrates more support for PSU alum. Around a year go, there was a long  discussion about PSU deferring scholarship to NLWC sponsorship. Apparently legal, so the RTC is not separate from the college at all.  Gilman's move to NLWC is a bad look for Iowa regardless of his results. 

PSU deferring scholarship to NLWC sponsorship? where is that listed as fact? 

3 hours ago, Le duke said:

I believe it's 13-1. Sammy Brooks is going, isn't he?

NLWC:

57: Gilman, RBY

65: Lee, Zain

74: Nolf, Cenzo, CStar

86: A. Brooks, Nickal, DT

97: Snyder

125: Nevills, Kerk

HWC:

86kg: S. Brooks

Does Franklin Gomez still wrestle out of the NLWC?  Although not at the US OTT, I believe he's already qualified a spot for Puerto Rico at 74kg.

4 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Does Franklin Gomez still wrestle out of the NLWC?  Although not at the US OTT, I believe he's already qualified a spot for Puerto Rico at 74kg.

He does. 

They also have Bekzod (UZB), Ale Bonilla (MEX) and Dr. Jane Valencia (MEX) all qualified and going to the Olympics. Valencia is going for the second Olympic medal in her family.

Edited by Le duke

20 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

who cares? who cares if they never put a guy on a team? that's a whole lotta athletes supported. which is a great thing. 

i don't disagree, but, that would not be a proper silly thread on this bbs...

12 hours ago, Perry said:

How does this look to young recruits planning where to go to excel at their craft? Does the future of recruiting look to favor PSU with this in mind? 

Are PSU fans still pretending they are somehow losing the recruiting battle when year in and year out their lineup is full of P4P recruits? And please don't use a rating system that benefits quantity over quality each year. PSU has won in recruiting, and yes, will continue to do so. Their finals performance didn't change that.

30 minutes ago, Molsen said:

Are PSU fans still pretending they are somehow losing the recruiting battle when year in and year out their lineup is full of P4P recruits? And please don't use a rating system that benefits quantity over quality each year. PSU has won in recruiting, and yes, will continue to do so. Their finals performance didn't change that.

What do you think? Do you believe PSU fans feel they don't recruit well enough? I fail to see evidence of such. 

4 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

What do you think? Do you believe PSU fans feel they don't recruit well enough? I fail to see evidence of such. 

Well seeing as the op was questioning how this looks to future recruits, I was stating that it likely doesn't change much. PSU has and will continue to out recruit Iowa. Same thing different year.

1 minute ago, Molsen said:

Well seeing as the op was questioning how this looks to future recruits, I was stating that it likely doesn't change much. PSU has and will continue to out recruit Iowa. Same thing different year.

I am a PSU fan and I agree with you, but that POV is 180 opposite to what you posted earlier in the thread.  

Are PSU fans still pretending they are somehow losing the recruiting battle when year in and year out their lineup is full of P4P recruits? 

With his post comparing PSU to Iowa, then talking about how it will affect recruits, like Iowa was some how winning that battle or something. It was merely me pointing out that PSU already is winning that battle, and a shot at some psu fans that a few years back would use recruiting rankings to say they weren't the best at that, my guess is to try and highlight their development. When in reality they are doing pretty much everything great coachingwise. But at the end of the day recruits will go to PSU because of their elite staff, others will go elsewhere to try to take them out.

I get this topic is another PSU>Iowa post. It's true, PSUs overall success trumps Iowa's last 2 NCAA years. But it's irrelevant.  Recruits are looking at the dynasty Penn state already had going.  Nothing really changes.