People are going to be big mad, lol.

"For the first time since 2001, there are co-winners of the WIN Magazine/Culture House Dan Hodge Trophy, presented by ASICS Wrestling.

Last season’s winner Spencer Lee of Iowa and Gable Steveson of Minnesota wound up in a virtual tie, with Lee winning the Fan Vote (25,712 to Steveson’s 5,202 votes), but multiple members of the formal Hodge Trophy Voting Committee voting for co-winners with both Steveson and Lee having such similar Hodge Trophy voting criteria stats."

I'm going to need to see those final vote tallies because "virtual tie" sounds a lot like "not a tie."

Edited by VakAttack

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

"For the first time since 2001, there are co-winners of the WIN Magazine/Culture House Dan Hodge Trophy, presented by ASICS Wrestling.

Last season’s winner Spencer Lee of Iowa and Gable Steveson of Minnesota wound up in a virtual tie, with Lee winning the Fan Vote (25,712 to Steveson’s 5,202 votes), but multiple members of the formal Hodge Trophy Voting Committee voting for co-winners with both Steveson and Lee having such similar Hodge Trophy voting criteria stats."

I'm going to need to see those final vote tallies because "virtual tie" sounds a lot like "not a tie."

STOP THE COUNT

54 minutes ago, IronChef said:

So we get to know how many votes Carr, O'Connor, and Brooks got, but not the actual winners? Smells a little fishy.

If  Spencer Lee took the fan vote which is worth 5 votes, then Gable Steveson received 5 more votes from the panel of experts than did Lee. What other conclusion is there that creates a tie? 

Edited by TBar1977

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

virtual

1. almost or nearly as described, but not completely or according to strict definition

tie

5 : to make or have an equal score with in a contest

I'd say a "virtual tie" is when the scores aren't equal but we ain't telling you who won.  

Splitting it diminishes the value award. 

If the final vote was close, then just say "in the closest vote in the history of the award... Spencer/Gable won"  

And, unless the rules allowed someone to split their vote, anyone who did split their vote should not be allowed to vote anymore.  You are picking the best, not the two best wrestlers. 

29 minutes ago, GBR! said:

Splitting it diminishes the value award. 

If the final vote was close, then just say "in the closest vote in the history of the award... Spencer/Gable won"  

And, unless the rules allowed someone to split their vote, anyone who did split their vote should not be allowed to vote anymore.  You are picking the best, not the two best wrestlers. 

Evidently already have "a best" wrestler of the year

also have a best deadlift of the year

http://board.themat.com/index.php?/topic/26307-i-deadlift-665-lbs/

this is supposed to be about the Hodge, which is different.  :)

It's a CYA move given everything that's going on in the American zeigeist. I think Gable is the best wrestler, but the Hodge criteria leave no doubt. I say this as a bigger fan of Gable than Lee, of whom I am a huge fan. I'm not sure what I find more tragic to our freestyle future, Lee's knees or the WWE, probably the latter.