shieldofpistis

Best case scenario for next ohio state coach

Tom Ryan is losing steam.  He should get credit.  He may have won three more titles had Penn St not repeatedly recruited and coached historically good teams.  The Buckeyrs offered the Penn State super teams the most resistance until Iowa played the 6 and 7 year senior strategy to get 1 ncaa title and 2 big 10 titles from Penn St.  But next year Penn St will win again, and then the next.  

Ohio state has not had an individual title since Snyder.  I think Moore most likely gets it done.  He got upset early in career and as junior only lost to Bo.  Pletcher and Sasso may have won.  Who knows? 

But with disappointments this year and the rtc breaking down, who would be better than Ryan that Ohio State could realistically get? 

There is only one Cael.  But there are many very accomplished wrestlers.  What if Ohio State let Ryan go and hired someone that kids could roll with?  

Hypothetically, do you think offering a load of money to Logan  Stieber; Jordan Burrows; or David Taylor....or Kyle Snyder could work?  Do you the DC would be possibility?  I know this sounds stupid but what if Ohio State offered the Russian Tank a high salary after he retired?  

What is the best case scenario for Ohio state as far as coaching is concerned?

We're likely to see some great talents retire after this cycle. I don't think Ryan is on the hot seat yet, and having Logan stieber and jaggers in the wings may keep some of that new talent out. Then again, they need a new heavy coach with tervel leaving, so maybe that opens the door for Taylor or someone else to come in? (I doubt Taylor is leaving the PSU vicinity though, his family seems to have roots planted pretty deep)

2 minutes ago, Perry said:

We're likely to see some great talents retire after this cycle. I don't think Ryan is on the hot seat yet, and having Logan stieber and jaggers in the wings may keep some of that new talent out. Then again, they need a new heavy coach with tervel leaving, so maybe that opens the door for Taylor or someone else to come in? (I doubt Taylor is leaving the PSU vicinity though, his family seems to have roots planted pretty deep)

Agree.  Doubtful that Taylor would go -  but PD3 could work with the heavier weights.

11 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

Tom Ryan is losing steam.  He should get credit.  He may have won three more titles had Penn St not repeatedly recruited and coached historically good teams.  The Buckeyrs offered the Penn State super teams the most resistance until Iowa played the 6 and 7 year senior strategy to get 1 ncaa title and 2 big 10 titles from Penn St.  But next year Penn St will win again, and then the next.  

Ohio state has not had an individual title since Snyder.  I think Moore most likely gets it done.  He got upset early in career and as junior only lost to Bo.  Pletcher and Sasso may have won.  Who knows? 

But with disappointments this year and the rtc breaking down, who would be better than Ryan that Ohio State could realistically get? 

There is only one Cael.  But there are many very accomplished wrestlers.  What if Ohio State let Ryan go and hired someone that kids could roll with?  

Hypothetically, do you think offering a load of money to Logan  Stieber; Jordan Burrows; or David Taylor....or Kyle Snyder could work?  Do you the DC would be possibility?  I know this sounds stupid but what if Ohio State offered the Russian Tank a high salary after he retired?  

Yes the Russian Tank sounds stupid. DC ? You think he can run a better program year in and out than Tan Tom has for 15 years? David T has the chops but may be more selfish than The Tan  One and that’s a tough gig if you are selfish. Logan? I’d rather have Sweet Lou in CBus if I’m a Buck Eye. What makes you think guys with zero coaching experience are going to be given a shot at a job like this? The recent norm has seemed to have been to hire a fella with vast experience, even head coach experience.

32 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

Ohio State has averaged better recruiting classes than PSU 

29 minutes ago, Perry said:

I saw that documentary on Taylor.  Didn't he mice from the west to Ohio? He wrestled high school ohio I thought.  But was committed to go to college wherever Cael coached 

Backtracking from this year, Ryan's Buckeyes have finished 9, Covid, 2, 2, 2, 3 and 1.  Three Big Ten Championships in that span, too.

One disappointing year.  

Would be stupid to even suggest getting rid of Tom Ryan, which explains the original post.

Edited by TheOhioState

2 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Ohio State has averaged better recruiting classes than PSU 

that just adds to my point.  

There are things that wrestlers coached by Cael just don't do.  

1) Penn st can get off bottom

2) a heavily favored Myles Martin would not have lost in senior year if he had Cael. 

3) a guy like Sasso who is extremely good in scrambles would not have only shot with 5 seconds left vs O'Connor had Cael coached. He would have been more offensive minded. 

4) a naturally gifted wrestler like Decatur would not be lost in matches. 

5) Moore wouldn't have had that meltdown verse Cassar in the dual. 

6) if Cael coached the refs would have given McKenna his rightful takedown verse Yianni which would have given him the match. Cael gets the calls.

6 minutes ago, TheOhioState said:

Backtracking from this year, Ryan's Buckeyes have finished 9, Covid, 2, 2, 2, 3 and 1.  Three Big Ten Championships in that span, too.

One disappointing year.  

Would be stupid to even suggest getting rid of Tom Ryan, which explains the original post.

so you think I'm stupid?  I'm stupid for being concerned that ohio state has lost snyder; McKenna, and others? Which also led to kerk switching. 

How much more talent does Ryan need compared to others?  

54 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

so you think I'm stupid?  I'm stupid for being concerned that ohio state has lost snyder; McKenna, and others? Which also led to kerk switching. 

Yes, I overreacted.

Edited by TheOhioState

33 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

Well didn’t McKenna go to grad school at Penn? I mean he’s basically as fortunate to have gotten him if that’s the case since he started at Stanford. 

10 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

Well didn’t McKenna go to grad school at Penn? I mean he’s basically as fortunate to have gotten him if that’s the case since he started at Stanford. 

There is more than losing just McKenna.  Im not sure about Martin nato Moore and we don't have Snyder kerk.  

17 minutes ago, jp157 said:

Well.. I’ve been critical of Tom Ryan and think the direction is going not good but this is a lil much

I am not asking if he should be fired right now. The thread says future doesn't it?  Who would be the ideal future replacement? 

We have a pretty incredible group of guys that may be looking for jobs after the next cycle. Regardless of what Ohio St. does, it's an interesting topic to ponder where they may end up. It's hard to deny that Cael's name is a big recruiting advantage and now that he has built a dynasty he probably doesn't have to work as hard to get the kids he wants (not that he doesn't work hard). I think it would take one of these bigger names to have a chance to compete with him in the recruiting battle, but will any of them be able to coach as well as he can? Which name has the most pull amongst the kids nowadays? Burroughs, Taylor, Dake, Snyder, Cox? Snyder didn't much care for folkstyle, so would he even want to coach collegiately? Stieber was one of the best folkstylers ever and has a world title, and I think he would be a good coach, but does his name have the drawing power of those other guys? However it shakes out, it would be a lot of fun to have all of these guys as head D1 coaches going against each other.

I've thought the direction hasn't looked good for tOSU for the last few years because what is clearly obvious.  There seems to be little developmental growth in their wrestlers.

Their AD is almost guaranteed to be looking closely and if ACC teams continue to finish higher, there is going to be a problem in Columbus but as for other Big 10 teams, aside from Iowa and PSU, I just don't see another teams consistently finishing higher than Ohio State.

Nice new facilities though.