shieldofpistis

Best case scenario for next ohio state coach

1 hour ago, Crotalus said:

We have a pretty incredible group of guys that may be looking for jobs after the next cycle. Regardless of what Ohio St. does, it's an interesting topic to ponder where they may end up. It's hard to deny that Cael's name is a big recruiting advantage and now that he has built a dynasty he probably doesn't have to work as hard to get the kids he wants (not that he doesn't work hard). I think it would take one of these bigger names to have a chance to compete with him in the recruiting battle, but will any of them be able to coach as well as he can? Which name has the most pull amongst the kids nowadays? Burroughs, Taylor, Dake, Snyder, Cox? Snyder didn't much care for folkstyle, so would he even want to coach collegiately? Stieber was one of the best folkstylers ever and has a world title, and I think he would be a good coach, but does his name have the drawing power of those other guys? However it shakes out, it would be a lot of fun to have all of these guys as head D1 coaches going against each other.

I don’t think Tom Ryan is going to be fired anytime soon (as in the next season or so). But it definitely could happen in the future if he continues to have lackluster results over the next few seasons. All the names you mentioned are awesome, but they have a big caveat in that they don’t have very much coaching experience yet. Even Cael started at Iowa State before moving on to PSU. I’m not sure a program like Ohio State would just hand the keys to the program to a guy with no coaching experience.I wonder if Ohio State would be more inclined to go hard after a proven head coach like Pat Popolizio. 

Edited by goheels1812

4 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

I don’t think Tom Ryan is going to be fired anytime soon (as in the next season or so). But it definitely could happen in the future if he continues to have lackluster results over the next few seasons. All the names you mentioned are awesome, but they have a big caveat in that they don’t have very much coaching experience yet. Even Cael started at Iowa State before moving on to PSU. I’m not sure a program like Ohio State would just hand the keys to the program to a guy with no coaching experience.I wonder if Ohio State would be more inclined to go hard after a proven head coach like Pat Popolizio. 

After all his recent years of success, it's interesting that people are crying "off with his head!" after one 9th place finish.

It's Ryan himself who lifted the expectations of the Ohio State wrestling program.  No one expected a d thing regarding team placement before Tom arrived.  

In their dry spell, Iowa went from 2010 to 2020 (almost assuredly) before they won another National Title. 

Ten years.  That being said, it was absolutely the right idea to hold on to Tom Brands and company.  They've come back, and they're going to be fighting for the title again in 2021-2.

Ryan is smart, and he is driven.  He knows all about the mat wrestling problems, and he'll figure them out.  There will be changes, for sure, but he'll get things done.

We can drag this thread out in two years to add to it, but look for Ohio State to be on the podium again in the near future.  If not this coming year, then the next one.

There is no question that Ryan is a top notch coach. He changed the course and elevated teams and expectations at Ohio State and at Hofstra before that. He is still able to land big time recruits - Sasso, Karchla, Echemedia, etc.
That said, the wheels seem to have come off the RTC. Ryan would have every right to be bitter about Snyder’s defection after all that he did to accommodate Snyder’s international aspirations.
Now I see that Singletary has entered the portal.
If I’m the AD and see the challenges facing the wrestling program and the looming dynasty next door, I want an experienced Coach who has a proven track record. That’s Ryan. I’d call him in and make sure he was still focused and the competitive fires are still burning and if that checked out I’d tell him to go do what he does best and not worry about looking over his shoulder.

23 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Does Logan Stieber coach?  A name that could generate some excitement 

I think he started a youth club?  That’s probably the most realistic of some of the big names.    I think Burroughs said he didn’t want to coach at least not in college.    Not sure if Snyder does either.  And slim chance that Taylor leaves State College.

18 hours ago, TheOhioState said:

After all his recent years of success, it's interesting that people are crying "off with his head!" after one 9th place finish.

It's Ryan himself who lifted the expectations of the Ohio State wrestling program.  No one expected a d thing regarding team placement before Tom arrived.  

In their dry spell, Iowa went from 2010 to 2020 (almost assuredly) before they won another National Title. 

Ten years.  That being said, it was absolutely the right idea to hold on to Tom Brands and company.  They've come back, and they're going to be fighting for the title again in 2021-2.

Ryan is smart, and he is driven.  He knows all about the mat wrestling problems, and he'll figure them out.  There will be changes, for sure, but he'll get things done.

We can drag this thread out in two years to add to it, but look for Ohio State to be on the podium again in the near future.  If not this coming year, then the next one.

How quickly people forget what the program looked like before TR took over.  It looks like we will see some changes in the staff due to people leaving and possibly performance.  Logan currently runs a club team in Columbus (Stieber Elite) but the word is he will be the RTC Head Coach and a college assistant.  Regarding the guys transferring out, none of them were likely to be starters next year and they had graduated so it makes sense for them to pursue other opportunities.  Lots of good names out there but being an elite competitor doesn't necessarily translate into being an effective college head coach.  Definitely some changes need to be made.  Regarding Lou, he was an incredible assistant while at tOSU but has not had the same success as a head coach.  For what it's worth, his family still lives in Columbus.  Tommy Rowlands was a great competitor and coach but he has 5 kids and is successful in business so I thinks it's probably unlikely that he would return at this point in any serious coaching capacity.  I like the idea of bringing in "new blood" as an assistant coach to roll with guys and introduce different technique but TR should still be the guy calling the shots.  Out of the elite competitors listed as possible coaches when they retire I think Jaden Cox would be the best.  In addition to his skill on the mat he is intelligent, charismatic, and seems to be of very high character.  

Couple names. Jason Borelli-Stanford Coach and Miron Kharchalava-former Soviet team member, former Ohio State assistant coach and former assistant USA Wrestling coach. Runs his own highly succesful Ohio camps and is Carson's dad.

Both hirings would obviously also have inherent strategic advantages other than just getting a great coach.

Edited by DocBZ

1 hour ago, DocBZ said:

Couple names. Jason Borelli-Stanford Coach and Miron Kharchalava-former Soviet team member, former Ohio State assistant coach and former assistant USA Wrestling coach. Runs his own highly succesful Ohio camps and is Carson's dad.

Both hirings would obviously also have inherent strategic advantages other than just getting a great coach.

Borelli certainly will be a name of interest for anyone looking for a head coach (again I don't think tOSU fits into that category).  Interesting that his Father was a candidate for tOSU when Tom Ryan was hired (I think it may have been mentioned in a different thread).  Regarding Miron, he is a very successful club coach and as you mentioned was on Coach Hellickson's staff.  That said, being a great competitor/technician/club coach is a completely different skill set than being a D1 College Head Coach.  Also, I would assume that he had some say in his son's school choice and is at very least okay with Tom Ryan and his staff (again this is an assumption and could be wrong).

Edited by balanceseeker

2 hours ago, DocBZ said:

Hadn't even considered Borelli. If there was a package deal, that would indeed be a huge score. 

On 4/2/2021 at 4:30 AM, wrestlingnerd said:

Hadn't even considered Borelli. If there was a package deal, that would indeed be a huge score. 

Although the Stanford guys would all be upgrades at 141 and 165, the money would be better spent getting a new 125 and 133. 

6 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Although the Stanford guys would all be upgrades at 141 and 165, the money would be better spent getting a new 125 and 133. 

We are discussing the extremely unlikely scenario of a package deal, but if Borelli could somehow package a national champ at 165, an AA even if at 149, and Woods at 141, I’m not sure there’s a team in the country who wouldn’t sign the dotted line. Borelli produced some very good results at a school that has unique challenges, and lineups can be juggled around. Alas, I have no doubt that the Stanford degree was the principal consideration for those guys and not loyalty to Borelli  it’s a fun thought experiment nevertheless and would be a tremendous hire for tOSU  

For the love of god, I like Jason Borelli and Miron, but if anyone thinks they are upgrade choice for HC of Ohio State University, they are most likely sitting on the stove at this moment in time and surely smoking crack. If you go get anyone to replace Tan Tom, it’s a short list and the call list starts in State College. I’m not talking about Ken Chertow either, in case he’s reading this.

On 3/31/2021 at 8:56 PM, shieldofpistis said:

that just adds to my point.  

There are things that wrestlers coached by Cael just don't do.  

1) Penn st can get off bottom

2) a heavily favored Myles Martin would not have lost in senior year if he had Cael. 

3) a guy like Sasso who is extremely good in scrambles would not have only shot with 5 seconds left vs O'Connor had Cael coached. He would have been more offensive minded. 

4) a naturally gifted wrestler like Decatur would not be lost in matches. 

5) Moore wouldn't have had that meltdown verse Cassar in the dual. 

6) if Cael coached the refs would have given McKenna his rightful takedown verse Yianni which would have given him the match. Cael gets the calls.

None of this can actually be confirmed, except for number 1

For the love of god, I like Jason Borelli and Miron, but if anyone thinks they are upgrade choice for HC of Ohio State University, they are most likely sitting on the stove at this moment in time and surely smoking crack. If you go get anyone to replace Tan Tom, it’s a short list and the call list starts in State College. I’m not talking about Ken Chertow either, in case he’s reading this.

By all accounts Casey has interviewed for one HC job at a major program. One.

I’m guessing many programs would LOVE to have him, but he seems to love what he’s doing in SC.

Taylor has his M2 program; he’s likely not leaving any time soon. He’s got a good thing going there.

One guy I could see leaving is Zain. But I don’t know that he wants to coach just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/31/2021 at 5:13 PM, shieldofpistis said:

Tom Ryan is losing steam.  He should get credit.  He may have won three more titles had Penn St not repeatedly recruited and coached historically good teams.  The Buckeyrs offered the Penn State super teams the most resistance until Iowa played the 6 and 7 year senior strategy to get 1 ncaa title and 2 big 10 titles from Penn St.  But next year Penn St will win again, and then the next.  

Penn State will likely be favored with 4 returning Champs,  but Iowa won this year and has everyone back, So A Penn State Team Title Next Year is NOT a lock.

8 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

For the love of god, I like Jason Borelli and Miron, but if anyone thinks they are upgrade choice for HC of Ohio State University,

At least I was talking about the exceedingly unlikely hypothetical scenario in which the package would be brought in WITH Ryan as HC, i.e. Borelli would have to take an assistant position of some sort.