CoachWrestling

J'Den Cox Misses Weight

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

I don't see what's unfair about it, if he made weight.  Again, he wouldn't have had a match until...like an hour from now.  He literally has not missed a second of a match he would have been in.  Like I said, we already have favoritism baked into the rules themselves.

The thing that I find inconsistent is that you have to make weight at a certain time determined by the tournament. If you continue working on a cut for an additional 5 minutes you are gaining an advantage unless you believe that a guy that cuts 20lbs is the same size as a guy that cuts 5lbs.

3 minutes ago, LJB said:

it really boils down to this...

you either fall into the camp that values personal accountability or you fall into the camp that does NOT value personal accountability...

and the moment you bend a rule for a grown man just for selfish reasons, then every other rule means nothing...

if there was an actual extenuating circumstances that warrants USAW to reconsider what happened for cox to miss weight, then i am reasonably confident they will make the right decision...

but, breaking rules just to have a better chance to win a gold medal is totally unacceptable...

I'm speechless. 

15 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

I think that’s a fair point. I actually want J’Den to be the US representative at 97 kg. But at the same time I think bending the rules (or interpreting them differently) here is really setting a precedent that is going to be a pain in the ass in the future. I also think it’s weird that every single other wrestler in the tournament had no problem getting weighed in, but J’Den did have a problem. It just seems really odd. 

I thought cox had the best chance verse the Russian tank.  I root for team USA.  But weigh in are a fundamental part of wrestling 

1 minute ago, LJB said:

you either fall into the camp that values personal accountability or you fall into the camp that does NOT value personal accountability...

and the moment you bend a rule for a grown man just for selfish reasons, then every other rule means nothing...

if there was an actual extenuating circumstances that warrants USAW to reconsider what happened for cox to miss weight, then i am reasonably confident they will make the right decision...

but, breaking rules just to have a better chance to win a gold medal is totally unacceptable...

Allowing J'den to wrestle is within USAW's power, and thus "in the rules". I get that the late weigh-in offends people's lofty notions of personal responsibility, but it's really not breaking the rules

"I watched it happen. He was way late, well after weigh-in times had expired."

This is from Cody Goodwin's tweet, posted by Shiraz just a minute ago.  That certainly could changes some minds.

Edited by VakAttack

From what I understand, USAW literally had a committee vote on letting J'den wrestle. So the better question is, if it's within their power to allow him to wrestle (which I think most would agree is in the best interests of the USA and with the goal of Olympic success in mind), why did they vote against it?

Just now, Crotalus said:

You just described the history of the modern Olympics in one sentence and called it unacceptable.

somebody call the whaaaaaaaaambulance...

just because there have been injustices in the past does/should not justify breaking rules in the future...

sad that has be explained to adults...

1 minute ago, LJB said:

somebody call the whaaaaaaaaambulance...

just because there have been injustices in the past does/should not justify breaking rules in the future...

sad that has be explained to adults...

You missed my point. It was just a joke that in the entire history of the modern Olympics, people (and countries) have been breaking the rules to try and win gold.

34 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I think there's a huge difference between the time component and the weight component.  We have proscribed weight classes, that IS a fundamental aspect of the sport.  The weigh in time is arbitrary.

Pardon that I haven’t read further in the thread yet.

I guess the way I’m reading it now is: if the weigh in deadline is 0700 and Snyder weighs in 0.3 lb over at 0700, did he miss weight?  Or does it turn out the answer is no he actually gets some extra time.

Just now, Crotalus said:

You missed my point. It was just a joke that in the entire history of the modern Olympics, people (and countries) have been breaking the rules to try and win gold.

i got your point, it just makes me vomit in my mouth a little...

8 minutes ago, LJB said:

It is not black and white.  If you always take a hard line... we may not have Dan Gable the great... rather we get Gable real estate.

3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

"I watched it happen. He was way late, well after weigh-in times had expired."

This is from Cody Goodwin's tweet, posted by Shiraz just a minute ago.  That certainly could changes some minds.

This is the problem with statements without context. Was J'den 30 seconds or thirty minutes late? What is way late? There was a clock when he stepped on the scale. Go find the exact time J'den weighed in at 97kg or under. 

USA Wrestling is in trouble because they now have the best wrestler in America about to go scorched Earth on them. 

1 minute ago, jross said:

It is not black and white.  If you always take a hard line... we may not have Dan Gable the great... rather we get Gable real estate.

if it is not black and white then the possibility for corruption is rife...

you either think corruption is ok or you do not...

it really is that simple...

14 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

To be clear, I would be in favor of this for any wrestler, not just Cox.

If that is true, then you should be clear about the leeway allowed, then change the rule to reflect that leeway.  Not trying to be cute here.  If the rule will be bent for every wrestler, it is not a rule.

29 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

I'm not in the "bend the rules" camp. I'm in the "want to know the circumstances" camp. If he was one minute late, the coaches could not have possibly known he would need one extra minute in order to make it, so if there are no other extenuating circumstances (such as a miscommunication with organizers/officials), then it was just a time management issue (that followed a weight management issue that shouldn't have happened). If, let's say, he was on weight on a check scale, then stepped on the official scale a fraction of a pound over with 30 minutes to go and had to go find a place to run and work up a sweat and then make it back to the scale and get stripped down and was 60 seconds late, I'd probably lean towards bending the rules. But, these are hypothetical scenarios. I just want to know what happened.

I think one of the biggest travesties that could happen is him not be allowed to wrestle and then he wins an appeal and they have to figure out some sort of wrestle off. They better get it right

This is why I gave the disclaimer i hadn’t read further