CoachWrestling

J'Den Cox Misses Weight

1 minute ago, MizzouGrad said:

This is the problem with statements without context. Was J'den 30 seconds or thirty minutes late? What is way late? There was a clock when he stepped on the scale. Go find the exact time J'den weighed in at 97kg or under. 

USA Wrestling is in trouble because they now have the best wrestler in America about to go scorched Earth on them. 

I'm interpreting this as 30 minutes late, which changes my opinion.

2 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

This is the problem with statements without context. Was J'den 30 seconds or thirty minutes late? What is way late? There was a clock when he stepped on the scale. Go find the exact time J'den weighed in at 97kg or under. 

USA Wrestling is in trouble because they now have the best wrestler in America about to go scorched Earth on them. 

See my last post.  Goodwin says he was 10-15 minutes late.

I’ll go out on a limb here and say “way late” is not 30 seconds. This is on J’Den for not being on weight on time. He’s the one letting USAW down, not the other way around. 

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

Some more deep dive on Cody Goodwin's Twitter:

Again, as one of the biggest J'den fans on here, if this is the case and there are no extenuating circumstances, then he doesn't have a legitimate gripe. It really sucks.

1 minute ago, MizzouGrad said:

Is he their best wrestler? Is he a slam dunk to beat Kyle Snyder? I looked at J'Den credentials at 97 kg and have to say they are impressive.

According to that guy on twitter who says he saw it Cox did weigh in on time but was too heavy, and then when he did make weight on his next attempt it was already 10 - 15 mins after the end of the weigh in. 

Just now, Fletcher said:

I'm interpreting this as 30 minutes late, which changes my opinion.

That's an insane interpretation based on zero evidence. But I am glad you're making it because it shows how easily swayed people are by context free statements. 

Listen, J'den won't go quietly into the night. He wasn't scheduled to wrestle till 6:30 tonight. I expect a legal battle. 

15 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Counterpoint: time is a man-made fiction.

Good point.  Plus maybe Cox views himself as a citizen of the world and thus not constrained by time zones.  If so, who are any of us to fault him for such a view.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is there anything in the weigh in procedure protocol that deals with clock accuracy?  Thinking if this goes to court, it would have to be likened to a radar gun catching a speeder.  If it does not have accurate levels of calibration tests done, one could argue that such a miniscule difference in time would be void if they cannot prove the clock they used was tested and calibrated to atomic spec

1 minute ago, Shiraz123 said:

According to that guy on twitter who says he saw it Cox did weigh in on time but was too heavy, and then when he did make weight on his next attempt it was already 10 - 15 mins after the end of the weigh in. 

Let's pull back and think about this for one moment.

J'den Cox has been wrestling at 1-2 hour weigh-ins for years. He has wrestled 86, 92 and 97KG since 2014 and never missed weight. 

But during a global pandemic with screwed up processed, don't you think it's possible that something occurred that was unique to J'den? 

We have years and years and years of evidence that shows that J'den doesn't miss weight. Yet during a tournament that was already relocated once, we have a weight miss. 

It's like y'all are being purposefully obtuse to create this black/white narrative. 

That's an insane interpretation based on zero evidence. But I am glad you're making it because it shows how easily swayed people are by context free statements. 

Listen, J'den won't go quietly into the night. He wasn't scheduled to wrestle till 6:30 tonight. I expect a legal battle. 

Simply based on what people are saying on twitter; obviously this is all still rumor. I'm a big fan of context - you get leeway if 1 min. late but if you're 30 min. late, you better bring a whole lotta context.

6 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Some more deep dive on Cody Goodwin's Twitter:

sorry @MizzouGrad, but this ends it. No excuse for 1) missing on the first attempt and then 2) being 10-15 minutes late on the second. He doesn't deserve to wrestle and has nobody to blame but himself. I'm pissed because Cox-Sadulaev is my number 1 anticipated match up.

2 minutes ago, nom said:

For those that simply want the best team and say the rule should be bent, why does it matter if it s 15 minutes vs 2 minutes, vs 30 minutes?

10-15 minutes makes me more uncomfortable.  I can't say specifically why, but probably because I've been conditioned to believe it's important, when it really makes no difference.  In fact, as you mentioned, it may hurt Cox to have to be cutting longer or closer to competition time.  So yes, I feel more uncomfortable defending that number and I can't totally tell you why.

Just now, MizzouGrad said:

J'den Cox has been wrestling at 1-2 hour weigh-ins for years. He has wrestled 86, 92 and 97KG since 2014 and never missed weight. 

But during a global pandemic with screwed up processed, don't you think it's possible that something occurred that was unique to J'den? 

We have years and years and years of evidence that shows that J'den doesn't miss weight. Yet during a tournament that was already relocated once, we have a weight miss. 

It's like y'all are being purposefully obtuse to create this black/white narrative. 

I'm not American, lol. Just interesting to me. Cox seems like a great guy and is a great wrestler so this is a sad situation. I already said my opinion as to why he missed weight, which is that I assume he didn't take the cut as seriously because he was going up and felt more secure that he'd make it. Total guess on my part but i've seen it happen with other athletes when going up a weight. 

giphy.gif

Just now, uncle bernard said:

giphy.gif

Yes - it's a conspiracy to state facts. Listen, the truth will come out. When Kyle makes the team, loses to Russia or Iran and gets bronze or no medal, people will complain and ask why our country sucks on the world stage. 

But just remember, J'den has $500,000 reasons to fight this and I am sure he will.

3 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

so ... you mean something like the hotel was doing wakeup calls alphabetically instead of by time and they hadn't yet got to the Cs? ;_;