CoachWrestling

J'Den Cox Misses Weight

Just now, MizzouGrad said:

Yes - it's a conspiracy to state facts. Listen, the truth will come out. When Kyle makes the team, loses to Russia or Iran and gets bronze or no medal, people will complain and ask why our country sucks on the world stage. 

But just remember, J'den has $500,000 reasons to fight this and I am sure he will.

15 minutes late is 15 minutes late. Every other athlete at the trials made weight. If Cox can't be bothered to make weight at the trials, why would you trust him to win the olympics.

Just now, headshuck said:

If they can give an extra Hodge trophy out to the runner-up during a Covid pandemic year, they can give a world medalist 15 mins to make weight.

in the history of ever...

two wrongs still have never made one right...

6 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

10-15 minutes makes me more uncomfortable.  I can't say specifically why, but probably because I've been conditioned to believe it's important, when it really makes no difference.  In fact, as you mentioned, it may hurt Cox to have to be cutting longer or closer to competition time.  So yes, I feel more uncomfortable defending that number and I can't totally tell you why.

Upon further reflection, maybe it's because 1-5 minutes feels like it could be accidental whereas 10-15 feels like he was trying to make the weight.

1 minute ago, MizzouGrad said:

Yes - it's a conspiracy to state facts. Listen, the truth will come out. When Kyle makes the team, loses to Russia or Iran and gets bronze or no medal, people will complain and ask why our country sucks on the world stage. 

But just remember, J'den has $500,000 reasons to fight this and I am sure he will.

You seem to really dislike Kyle Snyder. What’s your beef with him?

Crazy thought....

Miss window to make weight, but make it within 15 minutes after deadline, you can wrestle but first opponent gets a bonus point. Within 30 minutes 2 points. 45 minutes 3 points. 60 minutes 4 points....After that, ineligible.

Has to be some sort of penalty if missing the deadline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

Upon further reflection, maybe it's because 1-5 minutes feels like it could be accidental whereas 10-15 feels like he was trying to make the weight.

Yeah, it feels like if he was that late it was because he needed the time to make it down, which is unacceptable imo. It's a part of the sport that you have to respect. All of your opponents did it.

The only thing I could think of would be if they told him the wrong time to come back.

Just now, headshuck said:

If they can give an extra Hodge trophy out to the runner-up during a Covid pandemic year, they can give a world medalist 15 mins to make weight.

So a world medalist should get 15 minutes but Tony Nelson shouldn't? That is what we need in the world today. Giving people an extra chance because they may be more likely to medal. Next you will say give them an extra 15 minutes because of their race or ethnicity. That would be OK also, huh? Can you not see that will open a Pandora's box?

Just now, Crash said:

Crazy thought....

Miss window to make weight, but make it within 15 minutes after deadline, you can wrestle but first opponent gets a bonus point. Within 30 minutes 2 points. 45 minutes 3 points. 60 minutes 4 points....After that, ineligible.

i can not imagine a more ridiculous scenario...

3 minutes ago, Crash said:

Crazy thought....

What happens if he is 61 minutes late? Not bitching at you I'm just saying once you make an exception where does it stop?

It kind of amazes me some people still aren’t putting this on J’Den at all. If I had a chance to represent the USA in the olympics, my ass would be on weight the entire month of Olympic trials. I’d be checking about 25 times a day. I’d be the first one in line to weigh in. This whole things is insane, and yes it’s J’Dens fault. He is the one letting us down. 

Assuming J'den weighed in around the middle of the scheduled weigh-ins, which I'm guessing would last around an hour with a field this large, that would mean he had to cut weight for about 45 minutes. The scale he was using must have been way off to need that long to get down. Normally even if you're off, it'd be like half a pound at most. I feel like J'den can lose half a pound doing 30 seconds of jumping jacks.

I'm not on the conspiracy theory train, but this entire situation is very weird. I'll be interested to hear the full details.

I really like J'Den as a wrestler and was looking forward to the potential matches vs. Snyder.  But if we want give him an extra 10 minutes, why not just give him an extra five pounds? And if matches don't go the way we want them to, lets make it best three out of five.  Or best 5 out of 7.  

We have rules and limits for a reason.  If everything is on the up and up regarding him being ten minutes late, with no extenuating circumstances (ie KJ told the wrong time by a USA official), I think this should pretty obviously rule him out of the tourney.  

Good thing he didn't drop to Taylor's weight.

Just now, AHamilton said:

I really like J'Den as a wrestler and was looking forward to the potential matches vs. Snyder.  But if we want give him an extra 10 minutes, why not just give him an extra five pounds? And if matches don't go the way we want them to, lets make it best three out of five.  Or best 5 out of 7.  

We have rules and limits for a reason.  If everything is on the up and up regarding him being ten minutes late, with no extenuating circumstances (ie KJ told the wrong time by a USA official), I think this should pretty obviously rule him out of the tourney.  

Good thing he didn't drop to Taylor's weight.

Let him wrestle on a slip-n-slide mat. 

Assuming that what Cody Goodwin said is true, no reason to doubt it, and he is trying to use some loophole to get a wrestle off, I will lose a LOT of respect for Cox (not that I am sure it matters to him).

Edited by ConnorsDad
Removed kids reference

10 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

So a world medalist should get 15 minutes but Tony Nelson shouldn't? That is what we need in the world today. Giving people an extra chance because they may be more likely to medal. Next you will say give them an extra 15 minutes because of their race or ethnicity. That would be OK also, huh? Can you not see that will open a Pandora's box?

Sorry, but that box is already open. 

14 pages and their are probably a dozen people who actually know what happened and none are on this forum. I am personally mad because we all waited so long to see Cox and Snyder go at it and now that is not happening. If the Twitter guy is right. 10-15 minutes late is going to be a tough argument. It's not like you  can say the weigh in officials watch was fast.