CoachWrestling

J'Den Cox Misses Weight

3 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

This is about to get REAL UGLY. Better lock in wrestling fans. We might be seeing J'den in Tokyo under a different flag. 

He going to go get Cuban citizenship real quick or something?

I feel like if they would just add a minute or two to the Brook vs. Valencia match Brook maybe could have won?  Anthony looked pretty gassed and poor Brooks deserves a shot to win?  Right?  I mean its not like they should follow the guidelines they put forth that strictly?  

Edited by wrestlermichael

6 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

It kind of amazes me some people still aren’t putting this on J’Den at all. If I had a chance to represent the USA in the olympics, my ass would be on weight the entire month of Olympic trials. I’d be checking about 25 times a day. I’d be the first one in line to weigh in. This whole things is insane, and yes it’s J’Dens fault. He is the one letting us down. 

Umm, many people are putting it on J'den, not just you. I think everyone blames J'den. The question is should he be given some kind of exemption despite his screw-up.

39 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

For everyone bent out of shape by this, j'den has been wrestling his entire life, and has made weight every other time no problem.  For those saying "Russia does it this way we should change it..." every other wrestler wrestling today made weight on time, and the Russians have to make weight at the Olympics just like everyone else. 

Making weight is the primary part of qualifying for the sport, and it is unique to weight class sports.  Making weight is an age-old struggle, and special situations aren't made for anyone.  For other interesting weight-related stories, go watch barry davis recounting the year he quit before big ten's and dan gable found him and helped him cut on the road.  For other disappointing weight-related stories, daniel cormier failed to make weight for the olympics in Beijing in 2008.  He was cutting a ton of weight and had to stop bc his kidneys shut down.

Everyone in wrestling has to bow to the scale, it's one of the ways ultimate fairness is imparted in the sport.  Yes lots of good wrestlers cut a lot of weight, but there are different approaches to this, and each extra pound you cut is more time dancing with the devil.  Cutting too much weight bites back in different ways.  Some suck a lot of weight, get down to weight well within time limits, and it hurts their performance day of competition because they spend a lot of time down at weight and they take the mat looking like scarecrows.  A way to avoid this, is if you are pulling a lot of weight, is to spend as little time down at weight as possible.  Some of the best wrestlers in history have stories of cutting weight like this.  Rather than going to bed on weight, many either stay up all night or wake up early, and cut a ton of weight the morning of.  Henry Cejudo told a story way back of not sleeping well, pounding a ton of water before bed so he could sleep well, and waking up to cut all the weight the morning of as well.  This happens at most levels of wrestling. 

Wrestlers miss weight.  Coaches mess up.  It can feel unfair, but for anyone complaining about this, if you have wrestled for a few years, you know what happened here.  It sucks terribly, and is heartbreaking, but accountability is one of the foundational messages all wrestling coaches preach to all their wrestlers.  

Cormier made weight.  He went into kidney failure to do it, and was unable to compete.  But he made the weight.

2 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Assuming that what Cody Goodwin said is true, no reason to doubt it, and he is trying to use some loophole to get a wrestle off, I will lose a LOT of respect for Cox (not that I am sure it matters to him). What will he tell his kids? You have to make weight but if you miss, I have a proven strategy that we can use.

Give me a break. Get off your high horse. 

12 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

So a world medalist should get 15 minutes but Tony Nelson shouldn't? That is what we need in the world today. Giving people an extra chance because they may be more likely to medal. Next you will say give them an extra 15 minutes because of their race or ethnicity. That would be OK also, huh? Can you not see that will open a Pandora's box?

I’d spot big Tony a fiver. 

Just now, TBar1977 said:

Sorry, but that box is already open. 

I know TBar but it really disgusts me. And nobody is objective enough, well very few, to admit they would scream like hell if their kid had a shot at the Oly's and Cox missed weight but was ok'ed to wrestle. EVERYONE!

7 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

This is about to get REAL UGLY. Better lock in wrestling fans. We might be seeing J'den in Tokyo under a different flag. 

Is he actually eligible under a different country? Parents?

8 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

One of the best meltdowns I've seen on the board lmao. 

Do you think you can just trade countries a couple months out from the games? Also, that country would need to have the weight qualified. You're out of your gourd.

1 minute ago, CoachWrestling said:

Give me a break. Get off your high horse. 

Sorry, not on a high horse. Don't think of myself as anything special. But it is my opinion. Maybe I should not have mentioned his kids. But it was how I was raised and tried to raise my kid. You disagree, fine.

Just now, uncle bernard said:

One of the best meltdowns I've seen on the board lmao. 

Do you think you can just trade countries a couple months out from the games? Also, that country would need to have the weight qualified. You're out of your gourd.

Ever heard of dual citizenship? 

Something about this situation seems off. Obviously if it’s the 10 minutes late situation then I’m more than happy to say.. “god damnit J’den”. 

There just seems to be a lot.. “off” about the situation. This is turning into a FUBAR situation overall for US Olympic team this year though

Just now, ConnorsDad said:

I know TBar but it really disgusts me. And nobody is objective enough, well very few, to admit they would scream like hell if their kid had a shot at the Oly's and Cox missed weight but was ok'ed to wrestle. EVERYONE!

I am a rules are rules guy, so I get it. If he missed, then he missed. It is his own fault for not making weight, but society loves the victim card game today. Rules for thee but not for me, that sort of thing.

That will soon come to an end, but it remains in vogue for now.

4 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Cormier made weight.  He went into kidney failure to do it, and was unable to compete.  But he made the weight.

Thank you for clarifying that.  I had always thought they failed on his way down to weight.

Just now, ConnorsDad said:

Sorry, not on a high horse. Don't think of myself as anything special. But it is my opinion. Maybe I should not have mentioned his kids. But it was how I was raised and tried to raise my kid. You disagree, fine.

How could he ever explain that he weighed in 10 minutes late and they decided to let him wrestle? [Gasp] The shame!

Just now, TBar1977 said:

I am a rules are rules guy, so I get it. If he missed, then he missed. It is his own fault for not making weight, but society loves the victim card game today. Rules for thee but not for me, that sort of thing.

That will soon come to an end, but it remains in vogue for now.

Couldn't agree more. Out of reactions. Best way of putting it I have heard - Society loves the victim card game.

Just now, uncle bernard said:

Does he already have dual citizenship somewhere? And is that country qualified at 97 kg. If not, best of luck.

Even if it is, would this country just take the spot for their actual citizen and give it to a guy who doesn't really live there? 

1 minute ago, Stl said:

How could he ever explain that he weighed in 10 minutes late and they decided to let him wrestle? [Gasp] The shame!

It was kind of a joke and probably should not have mentioned anyone's kid.

Would all be ok with allowing him to wrestle winner of the semi tonight, but semi winner gets his choice of rest time 1 to 2 hours and Cox has to make weight exactly 30 minutes before start of match?  

Even if it is, would this country just take the spot for their actual citizen and give it to a guy who doesn't really live there? 
Other countries would gladly do this to win a medal. Without a second thought.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Umm, many people are putting it on J'den, not just you. I think everyone blames J'den. The question is should he be given some kind of exemption despite his screw-up.

Short answer: no

Long answer: absolutely not

But that’s fair enough. There’s just one delusional person dominating the thread and I’m reading too many of his posts I guess lol.

12 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

It kind of amazes me some people still aren’t putting this on J’Den at all.

This whole things is insane, and yes it’s J’Dens fault. He is the one letting us down. 

I have been his biggest fan since coaching against him in kids club .

With that being said, I am putting this fiasco completely on J’Den and his coach/support staff.