CoachWrestling

J'Den Cox Misses Weight

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

Other countries would gladly do this to win a medal. Without a second thought.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

True, but don't they usually make you wait a year after transferring? Does anybody believe he could really file paperwork and get it improved in time to wrestle at the final qualifier? And then you can't transfer back. It seems ridiculous.

Again, barring other information this is on Cox. I think not all the facts are out yet. 

It is not surprising however that some of the harshest critics are the wrestling dads who never competed at a high level. It’s a fascinating study in a type of caricature 

4 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Other countries would gladly do this to win a medal. Without a second thought.

The ultimate "I'm taking my bat and ball and going home" move. Maybe he can carry their flag too. Sing their anthem. 

1 minute ago, jp157 said:

Again, barring other information this is on Cox. I think not all the facts are out yet. 

It is not surprising however that some of the harshest critics are the wrestling dads who never competed at a high level. It’s a fascinating study in a type of caricature 

you are better than this...

or not...

**shrugs**

True, but don't they usually make you wait a year after transferring? Does anybody believe he could really file paperwork and get it improved in time to wrestle at the final qualifier? And then you can't transfer back. It seems ridiculous.
The one dude is claiming he has dual citizenship. Honestly, I don't know the rules about changing country allegiance.

Also, it's possible he was planning on retiring after this quad. He's noted for having a ton of interests.

5 minutes ago, jp157 said:

Nvm. 

Edited by goheels1812

21 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

This is about to get REAL UGLY. Better lock in wrestling fans. We might be seeing J'den in Tokyo under a different flag. 

I don't think this is possible.  While there are scenarios where individuals with dual citizenship can change to represent a different nation, Olympic bylaws state you can't represent a new country if you have competed representing your prior county in the last 3 years, which J'den has.

3 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

The ultimate "I'm taking my bat and ball and going home" move. Maybe he can carry their flag too. Sing their anthem. 

The Olympic 97 weight would be awesome though. J'Den is an excellent vocalist. 

Just now, VakAttack said:

The one dude is claiming he has dual citizenship. Honestly, I don't know the rules about changing country allegiance.

Also, it's possible he was planning on retiring after this quad. He's noted for having a ton of interests.

I don't think the dual citizenship is actually a thing, certain posts are getting a bit... emotional. Also I do not believe he was planning on retiring after this quad. His desire to move to 97kg was to cement his legacy, and even if he won the Olympics this year it's my understanding that he felt there was more to do.

Just now, LJB said:

you are better than this...

or not...

**shrugs**

I never said it’s not on Cox if current facts on the ground hold up... I’m not pushing any responsibility away from him.. 

Im allowed to to comment on trends in human behavior that I’m observing. If it causes a reaction it’s on you to take personal responsibility and reflect on why that is

It sounds to me that Cox was having trouble making weight and was not able to until after the deadline. If so that is surprising given that he was moving up to 97kg, but maybe he tried to come in as big as possible and overestimated his ability to cut at the last minute. Unless something else was going on I cannot see any reason to let him wrestle or to grant any appeal.

I get that the goal is to field the best team possible and US wrestling has certainly stacked the deck over the years with the whole challenge tournament right to the 2 out of 3 finals, but you cannot just give athletes extra time to make weight.   

Edited by iha

It sounds to me that Cox was having trouble making weight and was not able to until after the deadline. If so that is surprising given that he was moving up to 97kg, but maybe he tried to come in as big as possible and overestimated his ability to cut at the last minute. Unless something else was going on I cannot see any reason to let him wrestle or to grant any appeal.
I get that the goal is to field the best team possible and US wrestling has certainly stacked the deck over the years with the whole challenge tournament right to the 2 out of 3 finals, but you cannot just give athletes extra time to make weight.   
Unless it's Jordan Burroughs.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, jp157 said:

I never said it’s not on Cox if current facts on the ground hold up... I’m not pushing any responsibility away from him.. 

Im allowed to to comment on trends in human behavior that I’m observing. If it causes a reaction it’s on you to take personal responsibility and reflect on why that is

i'm giggling...

you are as constant as the northern star...

i can appreciate that if nothing else...

I don't think the dual citizenship is actually a thing, certain posts are getting a bit... emotional. Also I do not believe he was planning on retiring after this quad. His desire to move to 97kg was to cement his legacy, and even if he won the Olympics this year it's my understanding that he felt there was more to do.
It seems clear that@MizzouGrad has some sort of personal relationship with J'Den, so let's keep that in mind when interacting with them. It's a crappy situation all around. What we currently know does not paint a favorable light around J'Den's chances on an appeal if filed, but maybe there's more. I'm certainly bummed we're not going to see him here. Cox-Snyder was going to be one of the marquee matches.

11 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Why Some Olympians Compete Against Their Home Country - The Atlantic