CoachWrestling

J'Den Cox Misses Weight

Whether or not he thought it 8-9, he was over.  Even taking into account if it’s true that KJ made the error, which i don’t buy it, I think KJ is covering, J’den is not some HS wrestler he is a grown man, he was over.  Sucks, but it happened 
I believe the story is they showed up right around 8, he was over, and then was on weight by about 8:15 (which would have been on time under what they claim was their mistaken belief of 8-9.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Just now, VakAttack said:

I believe the story is they showed up right around 8, he was over, and then was on weight by about 8:15 (which would have been on time under what they claim was their mistaken belief of 8-9.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

No I understand and I get that, but even if you show up around 8 thinking that, for the Olympic trials, and you’ve trained for years, probably not cut it that close?  I am just saying even if there is a miscommunication, I’d probably paranoid and on weight given the gravity of it.  I am not saying I like it, but as a coach....”don’t leave it in the hands of someone else.”

Well,

1.  Cox was not at weight when the time came.

Or

2.  KJ screwed up. 

Take your pick, we are being told 2.   But just here above item 1 came up and he was 15 min late making weight.  

mspart

I was never close to world class level, but isn’t it reasonable to assume that Cox was a couple under last night, went home, ate his usual meal, showed up what he thought was an hour before the deadline knowing he might be a few ounces over but confident he could lose it with a quick 5-10 min sweat, and did exactly that? KJ’s bad info is what totally screwed him. Don’t all wrestlers at that level depend on their coaches to manage these types of logistical distractions for them so they can focus on prepping for performance? 

That seems way more likely than Cox mismanaging his cut for the first time ever and struggling to make weight in what he knew was the allotted time. 

1 minute ago, tigerfan said:

I was never close to world class level, but isn’t it reasonable to assume that Cox was a couple under last night, went home, ate his usual meal, showed up what he thought was an hour before the deadline knowing he might be a few ounces over but confident he could lose it with a quick 5-10 min sweat, and did exactly that? KJ’s bad info is what totally screwed him. Don’t all wrestlers at that level depend on their coaches to manage these types of logistical distractions for them so they can focus on prepping for performance? 

That seems way more likely than Cox mismanaging his cut for the first time ever and struggling to make weight in what he knew was the allotted time. 

Good chance of that, yes.

8 minutes ago, tigerfan said:

Yes but...

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I still think my argument that 2 hours before the opening of any wrestling is dumb for a guy who's not wrestling until later, or much later, in the day.  It basically means that the lower weight classes are getting much less recovery time against their opponents.  So big cutters are more penalized at the lower weights.

Geezus, KJ.  This is insane.

That is why they instituted random draw in college.  But have since gotten rid of.

8 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

That is why they instituted random draw in college.  But have since gotten rid of.

Still there. But if the coaches agree they can set their own opening weight- usually 125. What they added recently was the coin toss to be right after the weighins if they don't agree. Toss winner chooses either opening weight or even odd.

2 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Still there. But if the coaches agree they can set their own opening weight- usually 125. What they added recently was the coin toss to be right after the weighins if they don't agree. Toss winner chooses either opening weight or even odd.

Still there.  But not mandatory is what I meant.  High school still is random, but it is amazing how many times 106 is randomly chosen.

11 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Baumgartner is off the hook. He knows nothing about cutting weight and never has.

I think the criticism of Zadick and Bender are a little misplaced. It's on Cox and his direct coaches with whom he trains every day. 

That said, I selfishly hope they win the arbitration. It's not right, but it's what I want. I am still shocked we are even talking about this. Has anyone ever done this during the OTT, or is this literally the worst weigh-in fkup in American wrestling history?

I don't know but DC's trouble with weight at the 2008 Olympics has to be up there with this.  DC made weight but was so dehydrated he ended up sick and unable to compete.  

5 minutes ago, simple said:

So how much money did KJ potentially cost J’Den? What’s the prize for gold, silver, bronze this year? + whatever endorsements a wrestler could squeeze out of a medal?

1,000,000.00 dollars. 

5 hours ago, Schuteandscore said:

No I understand and I get that, but even if you show up around 8 thinking that, for the Olympic trials, and you’ve trained for years, probably not cut it that close?  I am just saying even if there is a miscommunication, I’d probably paranoid and on weight given the gravity of it.  I am not saying I like it, but as a coach....”don’t leave it in the hands of someone else.”

Yep.  How is there not a check before 8?  How is there not a scale in the hotel room?  I was an above average HS coach and we always travelled with a certified digital scale.  How do you leave what would appear to be an easy cut until the last minute?  This is not a high school coach reading the tournament info wrong.  This is our best wrestler and one of the best in the world showing up at the wrong time and being overweight for no reason.  Even if KJ was off by an hour, I still don't understand how J'den is overweight an hour before weigh-ins for the Olympic trials.  If the cut isn't a big one then how are you leaving something like that up in the air until the last minute.  How are you not there even 30 minutes early for an OTT?

If it was really just a logistic screw up, he should have been allotted extra time. The guy is the defending world champ and the point of the trials is to find the best wrestler. We all know this is a two man bracket anyway. Just get Snyder to sign something saying he won’t sue. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

9 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

If it was really just a logistic screw up, he should have been allotted extra time. The guy is the defending world champ and the point of the trials is to find the best wrestler. We all know this is a two man bracket anyway. Just get Snyder to sign something saying he won’t sue. 

You hit on something important with your last sentence. If Cox is allowed to weigh in late and break the rules, every wrestler he beats has a legitimate grievance. “I lost my chance at the Olympics because USA Wrestling allowed someone to weigh in late.”

Let’s say Cox wrestles and beats Kollin Moore. Is there a difference in financial rewards and opportunities if you are #3 vs. #2 on the national team ladder? If Cox beats Moore after being allowed to break the rules to enter, Moore has a real grievance. “USA Wrestling broke the rules, resulting in me losing this much money and these opportunities.” 

16 hours ago, MizzouGrad said:

Exactly. Incompetence from USA wrestling. But we’ve seen it for years. 

It's not his 1st Olympic trials. He knows when he supposed to weigh-in and to change it after the fact just means your hanging on his dick. There's no goddamn excuse!