Jump to content
CoachWrestling

J'Den Cox Misses Weight

Recommended Posts

How can his coach and/or handler lose track of time knowing full well the “allowed” weigh-in times ?  At this of all events ?

This is extremely disappointing.  I probably won’t even watch OTT now as this leaves a terrible taste in my mouth.

I would really like to hear from Cox & his support staff on how this all transpired.

Terrible outcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

He was allowed to weigh in and then a committee of unnamed members said no.

So the first question is, why did they let him weigh in?

Maybe they did him a solid and let him weigh in just in case there is some appeal process (which there isn't)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes authorities need to use a little discretion. Would the wrestling community be in an uproar over two minutes? "Oh, Cox? He's basically Taymazov, total fraud, that guy's on 10:02 weigh-ins."

This whole thing really vindicates Carl Schmitt. The wrestling sovereign should just declare a state of exception. Rules come from USAW, not USAW from rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think we can bend the rules for him here. I do feel a little bad for him though because it’s not entirely his fault. Obviously he gets most of the blame but there’s no way this should be allowed to happen. It’s not like he’s wearing a watch to workout. There should be a frantic search to find him, announcements, etc. before the window closes from his coaches, weigh in officials, and USA wrestling. Maybe this was done... I’d like to hear more of the story.  But I just can’t imagine why we wouldn’t take all possible action to prevent this from happening. It’s not a situation where we say oh, too bad for Cox. This is too bad for America

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

What about when JB missed weight against Imar? Just saying, there's precedence...

And thus ... the reason for following the rules strictly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

How can his coach and/or handler lose track of time knowing full well the “allowed” weigh-in times ?  At this of all events ?

This is extremely disappointing.  I probably won’t even watch OTT now as this leaves a terrible taste in my mouth.

I would really like to hear from Cox & his support staff on how this all transpired.

Terrible outcome.

Who the hell is his coaching staff at the moment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Weems said:

Sometimes authorities need to use a little discretion. Would the wrestling community be in an uproar over two minutes? "Oh, Cox? He's basically Taymazov, total fraud, that guy's on 10:02 weigh-ins."

This whole thing really vindicates Carl Schmitt. The wrestling sovereign should just declare a state of exception. Rules come from USAW, not USAW from rules.

Never thought I’d see the name Carl Schmitt on this forum. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a human with empathy, I get the desire to bend the rules.  I do.  But just as someone said above, you do it once and there is 'precedent' ... where do you draw the line.

The focus should be on the idiots that screwed this up.  Complete and utter incompetence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nom said:

As a human with empathy, I get the desire to bend the rules.  I do.  But just as someone said above, you do it once and there is 'precedent' ... where do you draw the line.

The focus should be on the idiots that screwed this up.  Complete and utter incompetence.

USA Wrestling shouldve purchased watches for all the World medalists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nom said:

As a human with empathy, I get the desire to bend the rules.  I do.  But just as someone said above, you do it once and there is 'precedent' ... where do you draw the line.

The focus should be on the idiots that screwed this up.  Complete and utter incompetence.

The line is obviously whether they’re allowed to weigh in or not. Dumb af. If it’s too late, don’t let them weigh in then there’s no argument. Once you let them weigh in and they’re under..... well now you open yourself to a lawsuit at worst/look like an ******* at best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

So if he was only a minute late and that is ok, then what is the cutoff? Two minutes? Four? Five? Where do you stop? I know. The time they said weigh-ins were over how about that! Personal responsibility is a thing of the past. And what does it say about his preparation that he is going up a weight and still cutting at the last possible minute!

Given the bylaws as they stand, I’m guessing nothing can be done. But in that case, the bylaws need to be updated to allow for discretion in cases like this.

This isn’t a criminal trial where procedure is of the upmost importance.  This is just a tryout for a team. The entire point of the tryout is to get the best team possible.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
As a human with empathy, I get the desire to bend the rules.  I do.  But just as someone said above, you do it once and there is 'precedent' ... where do you draw the line.
The focus should be on the idiots that screwed this up.  Complete and utter incompetence.
They changed the rules for the golden boys Taylor and Dake.

I remember when the challenge tournament winner had to wrestle the best of 3 the same day. Until Taylor and Dake cried about it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah. My focus is on the entertainment product we're watching. This isn't like world shifting political things. This is entertainment. The goal of USAW should be to put the best Olympic team possible together. Sure there should be a line, but it's more if allow it when you see it situation to me. Five minutes is fine to me, 30 minutes isn't. So it's somewhere in there.

Yes, obviously Cox and his team bear responsibility for it getting to this point, but common sense could and should have been employed....if the situation is as described. We still don't actually know our if it's just a rosy picture leaked by Cox and those close to him.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, simple said:

The line is obviously whether they’re allowed to weigh in or not. Dumb af. If it’s too late, don’t let them weigh in then there’s no argument. Once you let them weigh in and they’re under..... well now you open yourself to a lawsuit at worst/look like an ******* at best

I disagree.  If this situation is correct and we have the right info .... I can see the people at the scales allowing the weigh in so as to not prevent a potential resolution in his favor.  If they did not allow the weigh in, there is no possible resolution in his favor.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Weems said:

Sometimes authorities need to use a little discretion. Would the wrestling community be in an uproar over two minutes? "Oh, Cox? He's basically Taymazov, total fraud, that guy's on 10:02 weigh-ins."

This whole thing really vindicates Carl Schmitt. The wrestling sovereign should just declare a state of exception. Rules come from USAW, not USAW from rules.

OK based

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...