CoachWrestling

J'Den Cox Misses Weight

3 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I don't care why J'Den Cox wasn't on weight at 8:00.  It is totally unimportant.   

This being my exact point.  May not be important to you, and a few others.  In no way shape or form does that mean it's not important.  

6 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I don't get this.  At all.  It is bureaucracy gone mad.

Putting some humanity in your leadership and cutting a guy 13 minutes slack is the only rational decision USAW should have made. How is this even a decision?

I don't care why J'Den Cox wasn't on weight at 8:00.  It is totally unimportant.   He communicated his clock was off before 8,  he worked up a sweat and he made weight at 8:13.  He would have wrestled around 11 hours later.  Wow.

I am always oh so tempted to say that anyone who says this has never actually had to cut weight to make a weigh in...now I’m going to offer it up to the ravenous hordes of this thread.

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

This being my exact point.  May not be important to you, and a few others.  In no way shape or form does that mean it's not important.  

Can you honestly put yourself in Rich Bender's position and say you would have rejected Cox's weigh-in?  I would not have made that decision in a million years.

Just now, Plasmodium said:

Can you honestly put yourself in Rich Bender's position and say you would have rejected Cox's weigh-in?  I would not have made that decision in a million years.

Well, going beyond the fact that it doesn't work like that, it's not just a Rich Bender decision, but to answer your question, yes.  Yes I can absolutely with 100% confidence say that if in that situation, I would decide that the weigh ins were closed, and that was that.  

2 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Can you imagine an organization where one man would have such power to ignore the rules/policies/guidelines/procedures and do whatever they felt like? 

1 minute ago, cwillaert said:

Can you imagine an organization where one man would have such power to ignore the rules/policies/guidelines/procedures and do whatever they felt like? 

Every organization I have ever been involved in.  School.  Work.  Family.  Getting pulled over by the cops. Every ruleset requiresa decision.

10 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

#noballs

What's to stop him from appealing to the IOC to wrestle unattached? 

He's got relevant senior-level wins during the last cycle, and this entire thing was easily avoidable in the first place with a little foresight. The IOC can do what it wants, so he can go out there in a Black Panther singlet with Francis Ngannou in his corner and go take Captain America's shield in front of the entire world. 

18 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

I am always oh so tempted to say that anyone who says this has never actually had to cut weight to make a weigh in...now I’m going to offer it up to the ravenous hordes of this thread.

Which way does the weight cutter go?  I'm one that cut so much weight that I had to go to the hospital... that once missed weight at districts and wasn't allowed to wrestle for states... that once missed weight for a small tournament and was punished by being held out for the next week's large tournament...  You have PD3 saying Cox should have made weight... you got Kemp saying Cox should have wrestled... opinions everywhere.

2 minutes ago, jross said:

Which way does the weight cutter go?  I'm one that cut so much weight that I had to go to the hospital... that once missed weight at districts and wasn't allowed to wrestle for states... that once missed weight for a small tournament and was punished by being held out for the next week's large tournament...  You have PD3 saying Cox should have made weight... you got Kemp saying Cox should have wrestled... opinions everywhere.

Planning for weight cutting is hard, which is why it is the first opponent.  Still can’t lose to the scale, it is the gatekeeper to the sport.

20 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Every organization I have ever been involved in.  School.  Work.  Family.  Getting pulled over by the cops. Every ruleset requires a decision.

Truth.  Listen to the Kemp interview the other day... Gable decided who wrestled off who and how many times.  Kemp won the wrestle off against Schultz and was made to wrestle off Schultz again because Gable said so.  Kemp was supposed to wrestle more people on the ladder... wrestled some... Gable pulled the plug... and said Kemp made the team. 

...When I stopped cutting so much, I had to wrestle off for a heavier weight.  I won the wrestle off by tech fall... headed to the locker room to shower... coach comes back and makes me wrestle off again... no-one ever wrestled off best of three before... I lose match two by a point... have to wrestle a third time... tight match... seatbelt/whizzer... landed on my head... sprained my neck... cut a golf-ball in half and stick it on my neck... that lump persisted for months... could not turn head to the left... obviously lost the spot.  People do what people do.

Edited by jross
added personal example...

2 minutes ago, jross said:

Truth.  Listen to the Kemp interview the other day... Gable decided who wrestled off who and how many times.  Kemp won the wrestle off against Schultz and was made to wrestle off Schultz again because Gable said so.  Kemp was supposed to wrestle more people on the ladder... wrestled some... Gable pulled the plug... and said Kemp made the team. 

cool story, bro...

relevance?

absolutely none at all...

but...

again...

your stamina should be an inspiration to all...

3 minutes ago, jross said:

To address this a tad more directly, here is why it is a problem, and why you can’t just let missing slide. I would like to reference the johnny hendricks phenomenon in the UFC. He made weight, made weight, but then he missed, and once he missed, he never made that weight again.  Weight cutting, as you have likely experienced, is extremely mentally challenging. So much so that some guys have a shelf life at a weight and even in the sport.  The issue is, and the bugaboo in the whole situation, is that he missed, and if he missed once, he can miss again. He may well be better than snyder, but now he appears less reliable, and that is a real problem.

1 minute ago, Drew87 said:

To address this a tad more directly, here is why it is a problem, and why you can’t just let missing slide. I would like to reference the johnny hendricks phenomenon in the UFC. He made weight, made weight, but then he missed, and once he missed, he never made that weight again.  Weight cutting, as you have likely experienced, is extremely mentally challenging. So much so that some guys have a shelf life at a weight and even in the sport.  The issue is, and the bugaboo in the whole situation, is that he missed, and if he missed once, he can miss again. He may well be better than snyder, but now he appears less reliable, and that is a real problem.

i will add that if one was to look at the wins and losses of how many fighters in the UFC who missed weight and then won their fights, it would suprised anyone who does not follow the sport fairly closely...

it is shocking how many times those who miss win their fights...

again...

apples and teslas...

but interesting none the less...

the scale is 100% the first opponent any combat athlete has to beat...

3 minutes ago, LJB said:

your stamina should be an inspiration to all...

Two times is harassment.  Three times and I'll do the honorable thing and get a restraining order.

3 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Appears less reliable?   No, he doesn't.  He is reigning WC.  Olympic bronze medalist.  His reliability is impeccable.

1 minute ago, jross said:

Two times is harassment.  Three times and I'll do the honorable thing and get a restraining order.

you would not be the first to threaten it...

but...

like most of the rest...

you secretly love it...

1 minute ago, LJB said:

i will add that if one was to look at the wins and losses of how many fighters in the UFC who missed weight and then won their fights...

Isn't this like 50% W/L for fighters that missed weight.  Interesting but not fascinating.

1 minute ago, Plasmodium said:

Appears less reliable?   No, he doesn't.  He is reigning WC.  Olympic bronze medalist.  His reliability is impeccable.

someone does not understand the definition of impeccable...

Just now, jross said:

Isn't this like 50% W/L for fighters that missed weight.  Interesting but not fascinating.

50%????

that is adorable...

it is much closer to 80% and probably higher...

5 minutes ago, LJB said:

says the guy who clearly doesn't look at join dates...

I went ahead and ran the numbers on this.  972 posts for jross in about 1 2/3 years, works out to 585 a year.  5,595 posts for LJB in a little under 5 1/2 years, works out to 1,017ish per year.

Although you can't really trust the numbers since the change over, I had way more posts in total

Just now, VakAttack said:

I went ahead and ran the numbers on this.  972 posts for jross in about 1 2/3 years, works out to 585 a year.  5,595 posts for LJB in a little under 5 1/2 years, works out to 1,017ish per year.

Although you can't really trust the numbers since the change over, I had way more posts in total

only 1k posts a year???

that seems awfully uninspired to me...