Jump to content
CoachWrestling

J'Den Cox Misses Weight

Recommended Posts

No matter how hard I try on this thread.... I cannot touch your stamina.  I went full Kozak on this...

Posts Join Date Member Days Stamina
5594 9/1/2015 2051.00 2.7
973 8/17/2019 605.00 1.6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Plasmodium said:

Appears less reliable?   No, he doesn't.  He is reigning WC.  Olympic bronze medalist.  His reliability is impeccable.

Sorry, that’s not how making weight works.  

His wrestling is impeccable, but you can’t access the wrestling until you beat the scale.  

Making weight and wrestling are separate beasts in the sport, the mat time is the only one that gets shown to the public.

Both are unique skillsets, and both are equally needed to excel.  Missing weight is no different from getting decked first round.  It shows an inability to perform as needed to bring home gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LJB said:

says the guy who clearly doesn't look at join dates...

You most likely have the most posts in this thread..."Hi kettle, I'm pot. Nice to meet you. By the way, I admire your stamina."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Drew87 said:

Sorry, that’s not how making weight works.  

His wrestling is impeccable, but you can’t access the wrestling until you beat the scale.  

Making weight and wrestling are separate beasts in the sport, the mat time is the only one that gets shown to the public.

Both are unique skillsets, and both are equally needed to excel.  Missing weight is no different from getting decked first round.  It shows an inability to perform as needed to bring home gold.

J'Den Cox has proven himself.  End of story.  How many people have accomplished more than him in 125 years of USA Wrestling? A 13 minute snafu has not rendered a sure fire Hall of Famer unreliable.

Edited by Plasmodium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, steen-hooph said:

You most likely have the most posts in this thread..."Hi kettle, I'm pot. Nice to meet you. By the way, I admire your stamina."

you are not very good at this...

**shrugs**

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Plasmodium said:

J'Den Cox has proven himself.  End of story.  How many people have accomplished more than him in 125 years of USAW? A 13 minute snafu has not rendered a sure fire Hall of Famer unreliable.

The point of continuing to compete is you continue to prove yourself, what makes things impressive is you have to KEEP proving yourself.  

So, you are correct, he is a shoe in hall of famer who failed to prove himself this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

J'Den Cox has proven himself.  End of story.  How many people have accomplished more than him in 125 years of USAW? A 13 minute snafu has not rendered a sure fire Hall of Famer unreliable.

Are you including the AAU preceding USAW as part of the 125 as going back to the first modern Olympics in 1896?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jross said:

No matter how hard I try on this thread.... I cannot touch your stamina.  I went full Kozak on this...

Posts Join Date Member Days Stamina
5594 9/1/2015 2051.00 2.7
973 8/17/2019 605.00 1.6

i rarely compare anyone to myself because it is not fair to do so...

i could go into greater detail, but, the instances where my stamina counts for something most never get to experience outside of pure fantasy...

in reality...

the main point is your stamina defending a position that you are smart enough to know is wrong and will never be justified ever...

it is impressive...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

J'Den Cox has proven himself.  End of story.  How many people have accomplished more than him in 125 years of USAW? A 13 minute snafu has not rendered a sure fire Hall of Famer unreliable.

except it proved he is not impeccable by definition alone...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Don't forget ONE and Bellator!  You are on this topic like white on rice!

What I think would play out the most is how much they miss by.  I would expect that those who miss by a pound or two do FAR better than those who miss by five or ten pounds, the latter being indicative of a totally breaking mentally or running life/your camp like garbage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jross said:

Truth.  Listen to the Kemp interview the other day... Gable decided who wrestled off who and how many times.  Kemp won the wrestle off against Schultz and was made to wrestle off Schultz again because Gable said so.  Kemp was supposed to wrestle more people on the ladder... wrestled some... Gable pulled the plug... and said Kemp made the team. 

...When I stopped cutting so much, I had to wrestle off for a heavier weight.  I won the wrestle off by tech fall... headed to the locker room to shower... coach comes back and makes me wrestle off again... no-one ever wrestled off best of three before... I lose match two by a point... have to wrestle a third time... tight match... seatbelt/whizzer... landed on my head... sprained my neck... cut a golf-ball in half and stick it on my neck... that lump persisted for months... could not turn head to the left... obviously lost the spot.  People do what people do.

How did you lose to a guy you just teched? Did you land one big move first time? What happened?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I may be wrong but I believe if you miss (in UFC at least) you are ineligible for bonus 

that was definitely not the case in past years, but, was a big talking point among fighters, so, it may have been changed...

i think it has changed recently...

it damn sure should have changed...

regardless...

i know i am partly to blame, but, comparing a ridiculously for profit org like the UFC to what the ideals and standards the USOC should be representing is a stretch at the absolute best...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Are you including the AAU preceding USAW as part of the 125 as going back to the first modern Olympics in 1896?

Sure, lets live life to its fullest and most complete!    He is lower half of 100.

Edited by Plasmodium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LJB said:

that was definitely not the case in past years, but, was a big talking point among fighters, so, it may have been changed...

i think it has changed recently...

it damn sure should have changed...

regardless...

i know i am partly to blame, but, comparing a ridiculously for profit org like the UFC to what the ideals and standards the USOC should be representing is a stretch at the absolute best...

I think we're at the proverbial 'throw **** at the wall and see what sticks" point of the argument.  I mean, we're bringing up post counts, UFC, trials from 30 years ago for a team we weren't even sending..... I guess I could bring up how I should have gotten an A on my 5th grade paper about the native americans even though I misspelled half the paper.  I mean if the teacher could still read it, having the right letters in the right places shouldn't really be important...right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lurker said:

I think we're at the proverbial 'throw **** at the wall and see what sticks" point of the argument.  I mean, we're bringing up post counts, UFC, trials from 30 years ago for a team we weren't even sending..... I guess I could bring up how I should have gotten an A on my 5th grade paper about the native americans even though I misspelled half the paper.  I mean if the teacher could still read it, having the right letters in the right places shouldn't really be important...right?

all fair points...

but...

you should have just let a certain USAW employee grade your paper...

my guess is all those "issues" would have gone largely unnoticed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cwillaert said:

"BC. That's what we are talking about here, BC" - paraphrased quote from Terry

anyone want to surmise what the brands boys think about missing weight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

How did you lose to a guy you just teched? Did you land one big move first time? What happened?

TL;DR: he adjusted and wrestled better than I did. 

He was a better wrestler than he showed in match one... we knew each other well and competed tough against each other previously... but we were not training partners... he was probably not motivated for whatever reason.  It was the end of practice... maybe he didn't find it honorable to have to wrestle off mid/late season?  My assumption is that coach lit a fire under him before match two.  Bear in mind that I was on cloud-9 in the locker room... getting into the shower... was not at all mentally there for match two.  Was overconfident and not ready for a real match.  I miscalculated that I'd solved him.  My setups that worked 10 minutes earlier were were not working now... he defended well.  Without takedowns... I couldn't get on top to score...  You could say I woke too late in match two.  Match three was a dog fight until it wasn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...