CoachWrestling

J'Den Cox Misses Weight

[Verse 1]
There once was a wrestler that stood on a scale.
The name of the wrestler was J'Den, a male.
The ruler slammed up, the poise-weight moved right.
O exhale, my people's champ, blow (Huh!)

[Interjecting Lurker]
For as he stepped off, he had nowhere to go

[Chorus]
Soon may the appeal-committee come
To bring us sugar and tea and rum
One day, when the judgin' is done
We'll take our leave and go

Day two of quarantine, time just creeping slower

So watching flim,

A trip to the gym,

My squat used to get much lower.

Dreaming of what might have been, had KJ read the letter

Or only if Cox 

had pulled up his sock

Just 14 minutes better.

But the Euro matches, they sure scratch the itch.

Man these guys wrestle

Acrobatics incredible

I wonder who's the Russian Mr. Fast twitch??

[Verse 1]
The ruler slammed up, the poise-weight moved right.
O exhale, my people's champ, blow (Huh!)

[Interjecting Lurker]
For as he stepped off, he had nowhere to go

[Chorus]

[Verse 2]
There once was a USAW-emp that spieled wrong information
The weigh-master allowed J'Den but without confirmation
All rules guys were righteous with loud proclamation
We superducked perdition and opposed status quo (Huh!)

[Chorus]

Day 3 begins and the coffee is a little stronger.

The suspense is killing me

A hearing, will there be

I don't think I can take it much longer.

A hearing and a decision to set this board on fire

The fallout too great

of the weight being too late

Makes you wonder how many will retire.

At the end of at all a gold medal at stake

All so anxious to see

The exhilarating match three

Or is it time for the Iranian to eat his cake??

The Wrestler, A Sea Shanty

[Verse 1] (revised)
Right-bound the poise-weight did sail.
O exhale, my people's champ, blo' (Huh!)

[Chorus]

[Verse 2] (revised)
There once was a USAW-emp that spieled wrong information
The weigh-master allowed J'Den but without confirmation
All rules guys were righteous with loud proclamation
Those in the kno' were aghast at the 'quo (Huh!)

[Chorus]

[Verse 3]
He'd not been eight weeks from trials
With wrestle-offs scheduled, J'den could win with style
The NLWC amassed and swore grand curses of denial
He'd take the great trial fo' sho' (Huh!)

[Chorus]

[Post-Chorus]
Da-da, da-da-da-da
Da-da-da-da, da-da-da-da-da
Da-da, da-da-da-da
Da-da-da-da-da-da

Everyone now, all together!

This ol' highway's getting longer
Seems there ain't no end in sight
To sleep would be best, but I just can't afford to rest
I've got to check weight in Fort Worth tomorrow night

Edited by ionel

In an interview Kyle Dake talked about the weigh-in. What he said was that when the Spartan team arrived they did an initial weigh-in at 6:45 and that every single one of them weighed in slightly over as planned and did a final weight cut on the arena floor before making weight around 7:30. He also said it was cold in the arena and hard to get a sweat going, and that the final cut took longer than usual because of this. Anyway it seems relevant in explaining why Cox showed up slightly over. It appears to be the standard practice to show up slightly over and then to do a final cut right before weigh-ins start.  

10 hours ago, XiXiTiger said:

Here’s J’dens perspective of the events. Hopefully I linked it right, but if not, check out the most recent tiger style podcast. Sounds like he’s given up the protest and going down to 92kg for worlds, then back up next year.

First class.  What the world would be if more people had his perspective in life...

And man does he sound driven.....look out!!

11 hours ago, XiXiTiger said:

Here’s J’dens perspective of the events. Hopefully I linked it right, but if not, check out the most recent tiger style podcast. Sounds like he’s given up the protest and going down to 92kg for worlds, then back up next year.

I am an unashamed J'Den Cox fanboy. He came and did a camp for us a few years ago. Within hours he memorized the name of every kid at the camp (~40 kids) and called every kid by name each time he spoke to them. The kids fell in love with him instantly and each one truly felt a connection with J'Den. I was so impressed. I love his perspective in that video. Go get 'em!

My level of respect for J'Den continues to grow. I was a fan before trials and felt bad for him for what happened (while I also agree with sticking to the rules), but seeing him looking ahead to the future, rather than continuously making excuses,  jumps him even further up the list of my favorite wrestlers. 

On 5/1/2021 at 8:15 PM, XiXiTiger said:

Nice, super intense!

Who are the people he's bringing the wrath of God on? Snyder/Cael?

Who was he referring to that turned their backs on him?

I really like his candor and desire to speak directly to the issues.  Two things I didn’t like:

I opened an email in my app from USA Wrestling but not THE email about weigh-ins.  Do I understand that comment correctly? and

His choice of lawyers.  $60,000 to the first decision level?  I know there are smart lawyers in Mizzou who would do it for less.  How about a hometown tiger discount?

On 5/1/2021 at 11:15 PM, XiXiTiger said:

Thanks for the link, it was a great listen. I'm still perplexed at how KJ miffed the weigh-in times. As a coach, weigh-in times are the one thing you can't fudge and should be checked and double checked before the event.

I enjoy how eloquently J'den can phrase his anger towards others, that is certainly a skill I need to work on.

37 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Thanks for the link, it was a great listen. I'm still perplexed at how KJ miffed the weigh-in times. As a coach, weigh-in times are the one thing you can't fudge and should be checked and double checked before the event.

I enjoy how eloquently J'den can phrase his anger towards others, that is certainly a skill I need to work on.

At your age Bob, I'd say you are a good half century past any new skill sets.  ;)

Without even trying to do so, I thought he made the case that he should have been allowed to wrestle. If it was at all credible-- and it does seem credible-- his reliance on an experience coach seems to be a fair excuse not for making weight 15 minutes late. It's not like he couldn't make weight at all. This would be a good reason to bend the rules a bit even if KJ was not a USAW employee. I don't think letting JC wrestle would be unfair to any other competitors. Had he wrestled and won would anyone even dare grouse that JC made weight late. Had he wrestled and lost, there would bne no problem at all. By keeping him out, USAW created an un-remediable situation, which was not necessary at all. 

Edited by NJDan

33 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Without even trying to do so, I thought he made the case that he should have been allowed to wrestle. If it was at all credible-- and it does seem credible-- his reliance on an experience coach seems to be a fair excuse not for making weight 15 minutes late. It's not like he couldn't make weight at all. This would be a good reason to bend the rules a bit even if KJ was not a USAW employee. I don't think letting JC wrestle would be unfair to any other competitors. Had he wrestled and won would anyone even dare grouse that JC made weight late. Had he wrestled and lost, there would bne no problem at all. By keeping him out, USAW created an un-remediable situation, which was not necessary at all. 

At what point is it too late to make weight in your opinion? What if he comes in at 6pm and finally makes weight? Would you bend the rules then?

When they arrived they should have noticed people making weight and replenishing, that isn't hard to figure out at this level. No way are they noticing a good amount of people weighing in and doing official weigh-ins fairly quickly when the weigh-in room and workout facility is one and the same. That is the part that baffles me the most in the whole situation. Not until 7:55 did KJ or J'den once figure out that weigh-ins were at a different time than they originally thought.

They hard part is it doesn't seem like J'den was doing anything nefarious to gain an advantage and they legitimately were on a wrong schedule. However, protocols are in place to prevent this and it is the coach/athlete's responsibility to adhere to the weigh-in rules and times.

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

I think it would have been a huge legal clusterf**k if they would have let him wrestle.

3 hours ago, NJDan said:

Dead wrong take. He missed weight therefore shouldn’t have been allowed to wrestle. Bend the rules for one you have to bend them for everyone. KJ was not acting as a USA wrestling employee he was acting as his coach, which was the most plausible excuse they could come up with. None of his other athletes missed weight.