CoachWrestling

J'Den Cox Misses Weight

just thought i would bring this back from the dead as i have been recently resurrected myself...

talking to high placed coaches for the national team at trials and i was told it was definitely a weight issue for cox and KJ was throwing himself on his sword fighting for his athlete...

anything i might have said or intimated about KJ, i take back... he was willing to do whatever for his athlete...

this is all on cox...

7 minutes ago, LJB said:

just thought i would bring this back from the dead as i have been recently resurrected myself...

talking to high placed coaches for the national team at trials and i was told it was definitely a weight issue for cox and KJ was throwing himself on his sword fighting for his athlete...

anything i might have said or intimated about KJ, i take back... he was willing to do whatever for his athlete...

this is all on cox...

First class of KJ if that's the case....that is a sword that could have serious consequences.

I wondered if that was the case, but do you really think J’Den would lie and do that to KJ knowing he probably had no case either way? Especially now that he dropped the appeal, wouldn’t he come out and say that it was his fault? Why keep KJ under the bus at this point?

14 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I wondered if that was the case, but do you really think J’Den would lie and do that to KJ knowing he probably had no case either way? Especially now that he dropped the appeal, wouldn’t he come out and say that it was his fault? Why keep KJ under the bus at this point?

i have little doubt it WAS NOT cox's decision to throw KJ under any bus...

KJ jumped under there with free will because he was doing anything he could for his athlete...

regardless of any past questions about KJ, his athletes love him...

Edited by LJB
typo was 180 from what i intended... an actual legitimate reason for an edit...

4 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I'm sure he doesn't want to admit if he lied...

36 minutes ago, LJB said:

i have little doubt it WAS NOT cox's decision to throw KJ under any bus...

KJ jumped under there with free will because he was doing anything he could for his athlete...

regardless of any past questions about KJ, his athletes love him...

I can attest to the fact that his senior level athletes do indeed love him.

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

That’s with ‘the other guy’. Hit me up when you’re ready to get to $5.75. 

you get what you pay for...

if you saw my bank account and how fast it is dwindling you would already know i had to tap out of this consideration the moment we got above a decimal...

i'll be panhandling by thursday...

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

In a true athlete coach relationship, this isn’t even a discussion, coach says what’s happening, and athlete just appreciated coaches effort.  From there both understand what happened, and eventually the community finds out coach was trying to take one for the team.  This is why so many good coaches are regarded as third parents.

2 hours ago, Drew87 said:

In a true athlete coach relationship, this isn’t even a discussion, coach says what’s happening, and athlete just appreciated coaches effort.  From there both understand what happened, and eventually the community finds out coach was trying to take one for the team.  This is why so many good coaches are regarded as third parents.

Grown men don’t need a third parent.

8 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Grown men don’t need a third parent.

That’s a bit strong and a really lonely approach to life.

I’d say true grown men acknowledge and are aware of their own limitations.  Further, they know that though they are “grown”, there are always those who they can and should look to for guidance and mentorship. 

1 hour ago, Drew87 said:

That’s a bit strong and a really lonely approach to life.

I’d say true grown men acknowledge and are aware of their own limitations.  Further, they know that though they are “grown”, there are always those who they can and should look to for guidance and mentorship. 

Guidance is not the same thing as parenting.  

I do think the fact that Cox is sticking with KJ as his coach speaks volumes. KJ has always gotten a bad rap, but it seems like he is a good guy and an excellent coach for elite individuals. It takes a totally different skill set to be in charge of an entire organization, so that may be part of the issue.

4 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Guidance is not the same thing as parenting.  

Well, to each their own, but I do not subscribe to the notion that a parent is worthless and done and dusted when a child turns 18.  Maybe you just don’t like KJ or the compliment I gave many coaches by referring to them as 3rd parents.

Making meals and wiping bottoms aside, being a parent and providing guidance have a ~95% overlap.  

2 hours ago, Drew87 said:

Well, to each their own, but I do not subscribe to the notion that a parent is worthless and done and dusted when a child turns 18.  Maybe you just don’t like KJ or the compliment I gave many coaches by referring to them as 3rd parents.

Making meals and wiping bottoms aside, being a parent and providing guidance have a ~95% overlap.  

I don’t either.

if Cox truly did lie about not knowing when weigh ins were as the reason he missed weight then I must say I gave lost a lot of respect for him.  It is cowardly for a grown man to let an innocent coach fall on sword if that is what happened. 

If this report is true then I must say Snyder is our best rep at weight.

14 hours ago, LJB said:

this is all on cox...

Wait, you are telling me that highly placed coaches with USA Wrestling are putting forward the version of the story that makes their fellow coach look good and makes the controversial decision USA wrestling made more justifiable?  Shocking!

There are widely reported facts here... We know Cox arrived at the arena at 7:21AM, that the scales were scheduled to close at 8AM, and that Cox made weight at 8:13AM, but this was deemed to be too late, so he was not able to wrestle.  Given those facts, I don't see how anyone can conclude anything other than that Cox could have made weight easily if he had arrived a little bit earlier.  The part that we don't know is why Cox  showed up so late... was there a genuine scheduling mix-up or was Cox overconfident regarding how quickly he could cut the weight he needed to cut (or maybe a bit of both).  That's the question that would be interesting to have more information on, but obviously it can't be said that Cox had some huge weight problem given he did in fact make weight just minutes after the deadline.