CoachWrestling

J'Den Cox Misses Weight

7 minutes ago, Katie said:

This isn’t a legal proceeding. This is a tryout for a team. 

Discretion would mean if you fail to make weight on time, you’re done, unless a one-time, non-precedential act of discretion allows you in. 

This really isn’t a difficult concept. 

Non-precedential -- ok, sure.   Could you please answer the questions for how you would act in the situations I described?

Also, I suppose when have two college wrestling teams facing each other ... and have a key guy misses weight .... really no big deal, let him wrestle.  This is not a legal proceeding.  You'd be good with that too right?

Edited by nom

1 minute ago, ionel said:

Or maybe he simply did not make weight on time. 

I'm thinking his basis might have to do with something like if somebody from USA Wrestling said you have until this time to be here, and he showed up with like 1 minute to go and they delayed him or had to unpack the scale or something like that and he was outside the time. 

47 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

What?  Comparing Cox to the 2nd best player of all time who is currently the best at age 36 and has been the best in the world for 15 years is not comparable.  James currently is the face of the most prestigious basketball franchise and without him there would be no AD. 

Maybe compare Cox to John Wall....not a multiple time world champ.  

LeBron would not be late.  He is one of most reliable stars of all time.  Wrestling would benefit from a star like LeBron. 

I agree Cox is not the Lebron of wrestling. Analogies are not intended to be identical. In fact, they are often exaggerated to prove a point.

3 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

I'm thinking his basis might have to do with something like if somebody from USA Wrestling said you have until this time to be here, and he showed up with like 1 minute to go and they delayed him or had to unpack the scale or something like that and he was outside the time. 

There's been no information to suggest anything like that happened.  Why would the scale be packed up?  

This thread has some of the most hilarious apples to oranges comparisons I’ve ever seen in my life. There’s a reason why there is a deadline to weigh in. How do we know J’Den wasn’t overweight and his coaches were trying to buy time to get it off? How long should he get past weigh in time? 1 minute? 5 minutes? 1 hour? Can he just show up 5 minutes before his match and weigh in then? At that point, why even weigh in at all? We can just take his word for it that he’s 97 kg. I would love to see some of the people in this thread try and run a tournament. Hint: it wouldn’t end well. 

3 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

I firmly believe that this cost the USA it's only shot at an Olympic Gold and Snyder will never defeat Sadulaev again.

DT is favourite for gold, arguably a bigger favourite than Cox would have been. 

12 minutes ago, nom said:

Non-precedential -- ok, sure.   Could you please answer the questions for how you would act in the situations I described?

Also, I suppose when have two college wrestling teams facing each other ... and have a key guy misses weight .... really no big deal, let him wrestle.  This is not a legal proceeding.  You'd be good with that too right?

This is a try out for a team, not a dual meet.

2 hours ago, MizzouGrad said:

I feel bad for Connor. 

Wow, just in full on meltdown rn. Not a good look lmao. Sorry your guy couldn't do the absolute bear minimum and make weight in the allotted time. Literally every other wrestler at the trials managed to do it. I'm a huge J'den fan and he was my pick, but this is ultimately on him. Keep crying.

Just now, Katie said:

True.  Also true ... This is a try out for a very important team, not a JV team.    This is a competition where rules are clear and well explained regarding weigh ins and making weight, not a whimsical 2nd great baseball tryout.  

Would you feel the same way if this was Frank Molinaro back in 2016?

I agree that all the analogies are off. But there is a fundamental difficulty. The OTT is a competition BUT also a tryout. It would make sense to bend the rules at least a bit so the tryout results in the best team. That's why we give guys byes to the semis or even the finals. OTOH, as a competition, the rules must be applied fairly and without exception.

Just now, Katie said:

You make it sound like this is a wrestle-off between 2 kids in a junior high room. This isn't just a "try out".  And these are guys who have had to be at weigh-ins hundreds of times. 

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I agree that all the analogies are off. But there is a fundamental difficulty. The OTT is a competition BUT also a tryout. It would make sense to bend the rules at least a bit so the tryout results in the best team. That's why we give guys byes to the semis or even the finals. OTOH, as a competition, the rules must be applied fairly and without exception.

so Ferrari should advance to the semis, got it.  

Edited by ionel

49 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

No it's the dumbest response and absolutely has no bearing or anything remotely like the situation. She wont answer but maybe you will. Let's assume he was 1 minute late. Is that OK?  What about 2 minutes? 5? What if Snyder was 10 minutes late is that OK? There's rules out there for reason and the only people that think it's OK to break  them would be the 1st ones to bitch if they or their child or somebody close to them were involved.

Weigh-in timing rules are in place so they have enough time to finish weigh-ins and start the tourney. Cox being late did not delay the tourney start - in fact, they weighed him in anyways. They knew Cox was close by because he already weighed in. To apply "rules" dogmatically and without context is dumb.

People aren't answering your question because it's a trap. Context matters. If Snyder was 20 minutes late and it was because the facility accidentally locked all its doors, I would let him weigh in. If it was because he was smoking crack outside in the alley, I would not.

1 minute ago, NJDan said:

Here’s a real hypothetical for all the people saying bend the rules for J’Den. Lets say Snyder weighed in on time and missed weight by .1 pounds. J’Den weighs in 5 minutes late on weight. Should Snyder have that extra 5 minutes of time to get that .1 pounds off? You’re opening a big ole can of worms when you start bending rules. 

It is also about fairness.  If we expect all the wrestlers to follow the rules, and one wrestler does not follow a rule that is fundamental to the structure of the sport, but some 'group' says, 'that's ok  ... the rule can be bypassed for that person' . .........that it is not fair for all the other wrestlers.  

Everyone is cool with Cox getting a bye to the semis because he’s proven to be among the very best wrestlers in the world  

But when Cox makes weight a minute late, people think it would be an atrocity to let him compete.

Hmmm...