Class

Hawkeye Wrestling Club (HWC)

On 4/2/2021 at 3:54 PM, Class said:

A total of zero, 0 , no wins in the entire WTT tournament....

List the excuses, injuries, timing problems, etc.  However, shameful any way you look at it.  

This is easy to understand:  they are all concentrating on their 8th year of college wrestling.  At Iowa, who cares about the Olympics?

8 hours ago, Sstern said:

This is easy to understand:  they are all concentrating on their 8th year of college wrestling.  At Iowa, who cares about the Olympics?

Olympics come and go, but the opportunity to be a 27 year old national champ is quite rare (in d1)

They have really bumped their fundraising in the past couple of years. According to their form 990 for 2020, their annual fundraising contributions are as follows:
2016: $262K
2017: $434K
2018: $853K
2019: $1.135M

40 minutes ago, IronChef said:

They have really bumped their fundraising in the past couple of years. According to their form 990 for 2020, their annual fundraising contributions are as follows:
2016: $262K
2017: $434K
2018: $853K
2019: $1.135M

Sheesh. I can't see a reason why they can't attract at least one "mercenary" within the next year or 2 with those kinds of cofers

13 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

Sheesh. I can't see a reason why they can't attract at least one "mercenary" within the next year or 2 with those kinds of cofers

Let's be clear, the UNIVERSITY had not won a Championship in 10 years and Covid wreaked havoc.  They were fixing that before ANYTHING else.  Next cycle is where you will see them branching out considerably.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

They will. They’re just late to the party. If they don’t, the coffers will lighten considerably. Iowa donors are loyal but not dumb. 

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

They will. They’re just late to the party. If they don’t, the coffers will lighten considerably. Iowa donors are loyal but not dumb. 

As one of said donors, I appreciate the compliment. I do also think (hope) that things will turn around. As others, especially Vak, have pointed out, it was an unusual set of circumstances that largely led to the very dismal presence of HWC wrestlers at Oly's

The real point of an RTC is to make the college team better by supporting senior athletes who can train with them. HWC raised a bunch of money, and the Hawkeyes won the championship. Mission accomplished, I say. People give to an RTC because it helps their team or helps guys who were on their team. I'm sure the HWC money helped attract some of these transfers who believe they will be able to get better post-college support as former Hawkeyes than as former Fighting Scots or Tigers.

2 minutes ago, IronChef said:

The real point of an RTC is to make the college team better by supporting senior athletes who can train with them. HWC raised a bunch of money, and the Hawkeyes won the championship. Mission accomplished, I say. People give to an RTC because it helps their team or helps guys who were on their team. I'm sure the HWC money helped attract some of these transfers who believe they will be able to get better post-college support as former Hawkeyes than as former Fighting Scots or Tigers.

Good point but it’s  co-main point is recruiting blue chip HS kids, almost all of whom have freestyle aspirations. They need some guns in that arms race very soon. 

As others have said, they are about to get there, though it will be a year late with so many coming back (as of now). Figure on Lee and Eierman as senior athletes for sure with Kemerer, Marinelli, Desanto, and Murin also in the mix if they decide to keep going.

It is a little puzzling to me that they booted the women after raising so much money, but I think it is evidence of my point that the RTC is about helping the Hawkeyes, and the women don't really do that.

13 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I can't help but think a guy hanging around an extra year in college just for wrestling is a bit of a loser. But, I'm not here to make people's decisions for them. 

Sticking around an extra year to do something you will never, ever get to do again in your whole life while someone else pays for it.doesn't sound like a loser to me. 

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

Sticking around an extra year to do something you will never, ever get to do again in your whole life while someone else pays for it.doesn't sound like a loser to me. 

But an extra year.....on top of an extra year.......on top of another extra year.....

2 hours ago, Class said:

But an extra year.....on top of an extra year.......on top of another extra year.....

Without Covid Iowa would have the last 2 team titles and none of this whining would matter.  Do you honestly think every Iowa guy wouldn't trade this extra upcoming season for actually wrestling NCAA's 2 seasons ago?  All they are trying to do is get the NCAA Tournament back that they lost.

The ONLY guy I can see having an issue with is Eierman.  He has now had his 4 cracks at NCAA Tournaments, so I would agree he should be done.  BUT, you will now have guys like Fix and EVERY freshman that wrestled this season having a chance at 5.  So, I propose we wait until it plays out for YOUR(meaning everyone that is complaining) favorite team 5 or 6 years from now when the freshmen that wrestled this season are now wrestling at their 5th NCAA Tournament.  For some reason I don't see ANY of you complaining when that time comes!

58 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Without Covid Iowa would have the last 2 team titles and none of this whining would matter.  Do you honestly think every Iowa guy wouldn't trade this extra upcoming season for actually wrestling NCAA's 2 seasons ago?  All they are trying to do is get the NCAA Tournament back that they lost.

The ONLY guy I can see having an issue with is Eierman.  He has now had his 4 cracks at NCAA Tournaments, so I would agree he should be done.  BUT, you will now have guys like Fix and EVERY freshman that wrestled this season having a chance at 5.  So, I propose we wait until it plays out for YOUR(meaning everyone that is complaining) favorite team 5 or 6 years from now when the freshmen that wrestled this season are now wrestling at their 5th NCAA Tournament.  For some reason I don't see ANY of you complaining when that time comes!

Oh it gets better. There is at least one team out there with a few "freshmen" in name only, having greyshirted them for a year or 2 before enrolling. Throw in an olympic/medical/regular redshirt and you'll have a team full of actual 7th and 8th year wrestlers. Im looking forward to the sudden and dramatic change of heart of some folks when that happens

47 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

Oh it gets better. There is at least one team out there with a few "freshmen" in name only, having greyshirted them for a year or 2 before enrolling. Throw in an olympic/medical/regular redshirt and you'll have a team full of actual 7th and 8th year wrestlers. Im looking forward to the sudden and dramatic change of heart of some folks when that happens

It’s crazy to think that this team will have 50-60% of its lineup have the opportunity to wrestle in 5 NCAA’s if they use all of their available eligibility.

1 hour ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

Are you talking about Cornell, Penn State, or another university?

5 hours ago, Mpchillin said:

It’s crazy to think that this team will have 50-60% of its lineup have the opportunity to wrestle in 5 NCAA’s if they use all of their available eligibility.

While not one but two PSU NCAA Champs got only 3 NCAA Tournaments. 

5 for Iowa. 3 for PSU's Hall and Cenzo. 

4 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Are you talking about Cornell, Penn State, or another university?

Specifically about PSU. Missouri had a lot of freshmen too. I thought the Elams and someone else greyshirted on their team but I went back to check and turns out that isn't the case. I either have them confused with a different team, or am just completely off my rocker. Probs the latter