48 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Because if McKenna has made all those huge strides and has a higher international ceiling he should handle Oliver tomorrow, right? If JO comes out and destroys him would you still say as of right now McKenna has better potential internationally?

Yes 100 percent 

1 minute ago, swoopdown said:

I can identify with Squakeyes not liking Gilman - I'm from PA Pittsburgh, a PSU fan, root against Lee in EVERY match and will continue to do so until the little ACL-less, tilt-obsessed, let's-give-him-an-extra year, twin dwarf loving Keebler-elf-goatee smurf graduates from Iowa when at that time I will reassess my butt-hurt partisan he-didn't-go-to-psu hatred.  Just think how much I'd hate him if he actually attended PSU and then transferred to another school - like for instance Rutgers.  But seriously nobody in their right mind would do that, right?  Boy would I hate them!

Seriously though - After graduation I really can't see me having an issue with a Lion wrestler going to new clubs - a change in coaches, training partners, new scenery, better support, etc.  Changing clubs just doesn't set me off.  Sometimes you just need a change.

This is true. The issue most hawkeye fans have is the way Gilman has spoken about the Iowa program. He's actively said he doesn't want the support of hawkeye fans. Pretty fair for them to give him what he wants until he makes the team.

Idk what the hang up is here? Aren't most of us rooting for certain guys we like all tournament?

When people bood Lee against DeSanto, that was b4 DeSanto was DeSanto. We had no idea what DeSanto would become with his antics. Just thought Lee was stallin his rear end off. And the enormitt of a guy having never lost going down in his final h.s. match was Galeesque. 

7 minutes ago, pawrestler said:

Man mango has been around forever

There's two of them. Spencer, who was an Olympian and is now retired, and his younger brother Ryan, who wrestled at Stanford and is now giving it a shot at this OTT. He's old by wrestling standards but not that old. The combined Mango careers would be pretty old.

7 minutes ago, swoopdown said:

Changing clubs just doesn't set me off.  Sometimes you just need a change.

If you get in to much of a comfortable routine that’s not proving the gold medal results you want  it maybe time to shake things up.  Even if the routine is good there is nothing wrong with shocking your system if it gets you to a different level.  

Edited by MadMardigain

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

When people bood Lee against DeSanto, that was b4 DeSanto was DeSanto. We had no idea what DeSanto would become with his antics. Just thought Lee was stallin his rear end off. And the enormitt of a guy having never lost going down in his final h.s. match was Galeesque. 

Booing high schoolers is a bad look in general unless it’s truly something egregious (think Billy George from Cornell). It’s gross in Iowa when they do it (and people did this year) and it’s gross in PA when they do it.

3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Tough match up.

I heard that Helen is out until tomorrow....did I miss something?  Did she medal recently?

Could be totally wrong here, but I think she got the bye for winning 1st place in Canada pre-covid to qualify the weight. 

5 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Sure, that's fair.  Like I said, I'll root for Gilman if he wins the spot tomorrow (while rueing Spencer's injury as I feel now that he's clearly our best guy sans injury).  I don't dislike Gilman because of his antics.  I love the antics for anybody!  I'm rooting against Gilman right now because he's made it clear he does not desire the support of me or any other Hawkeye fans.  That's ok.  Until the moment he's made the US rep, I'll be rooting for Vito hard.

This is likewise a fair statement. I also regret the unfortunate fact that Spencer Lee is injured, as he had long been my pick for the US rep at 57kg. It doesn't surprise me that you like the physical style and antics of Gilman and anybody, as it is a well-known component of Iowa wrestling style. I have great admiration for the Brands brothers and what they have achieved at Iowa, but I personally prefer a slicker, more skilled style of wrestling. I am not really aware of what Gilman said about not wanting the support of Hawkeye fans, and although I understand that the decision to move to the NLWC was a difficult one for him, I'm uncertain why he would want to disenchant so many fans by making stupid, emotional statements. Do you see this as a result of him seeing Iowa and the Brands being fully behind Spencer Lee and feeling left out, a la Tony Ramos?

4 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

This is true. The issue most hawkeye fans have is the way Gilman has spoken about the Iowa program. He's actively said he doesn't want the support of hawkeye fans. Pretty fair for them to give him what he wants until he makes the team.

Idk what the hang up is here? Aren't most of us rooting for certain guys we like all tournament?

Kinda but at the same time it's an in house wrestle off to make the team we're all cheering for in the end

Edited by portajohn

1 minute ago, wrestlingphish said:

Booing high schoolers is a bad look in general unless it’s truly something egregious (think Billy George from Cornell). It’s gross in Iowa when they do it (and people did this year) and it’s gross in PA when they do it.

While I agree with you - remember that a decent portion of the fans are actually in high school as well (to give an indication of the maturity level)

4 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

We have the potential for the best women’s team we have ever put out for an Olympics.  Hopefully as a collective they put some pressure on Japan who is the perennial power (yes I know their is no official team score).  

Our team is completely stacked. If it weren't in Toyko I would favor the U.S. Women. maybe home field won't matter as much with the reduced crowd limits, but not having to travel gives them an edge.

2 minutes ago, pa in taiwan said:

This is likewise a fair statement. I also regret the unfortunate fact that Spencer Lee is injured, as he had long been my pick for the US rep at 57kg. It doesn't surprise me that you like the physical style and antics of Gilman and anybody, as it is a well-known component of Iowa wrestling style. I have great admiration for the Brands brothers and what they have achieved at Iowa, but I personally prefer a slicker, more skilled style of wrestling. I am not really aware of what Gilman said about not wanting the support of Hawkeye fans, and although I understand that the decision to move to the NLWC was a difficult one for him, I'm uncertain why he would want to disenchant so many fans by making stupid, emotional statements. Do you see this as a result of him seeing Iowa and the Brands being fully behind Spencer Lee and feeling left out, a la Tony Ramos?

I think it's definitely a result of him feeling like Spencer was the favored nation.  Which is funny, because of the exact reason you cited, his response to Ramos-Dennis.

11 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

As a Burroughs fan, I’m hoping Nolf wins. I think Dake is great at game planning too and his focus has been on Burroughs. If Nolf wins, I think he isn’t as well prepared for Burroughs as dake would be. 

I think the winner of Dake and Nolf takes the spot. I am a PSU fan, and I will support Nolf, hoping that he and his coaches have developed a match strategy from the take-aways from his recent loss to Dake. I realize that this is hoping against reality in many ways, as I personally believe that Dake is the strongest US wrestler at this moment. Gable Steveson would be my second choice, but I don't feel confident in his ability against Akgul and Geno.. DT is great if he's completely healthy, but he hasn't been as dominant as Dake has recently. 

1 minute ago, portajohn said:

Kinda but at the same time it's an in house wrestle off to make the team we're all cheering for in the end

Yes, but most of these guys wrestled for college teams we support or rival teams, so why wouldn't that continue at the next level. All the psu fans are supporting the NLWC guys this weekend, as they should. That includes Gilman, who 99% of them reviled, because he's on the team now. As an Iowa fan, I liked Gilman because he wore black and gold (and looked past his annoying persona because of that). He doesn't anymore, so now I'm rooting for other guys in the bracket whose styles/personas I like.