portajohn

Dake vs Burroughs

Dake has made complaints (imo fair) in the past about going through a bracket to get the opportunity to wrestle a rested Burroughs.  Well, after his two quick warmups tonight if he can't pull it off tomorrow night he's run out of excuses.  

This is the best Dake we've ever seen - focused, dialed in, injury free, rested.  While JB has really lacked that unstoppable finishing power he had at his peak.  If JB is able to stop Dake's run tomorrow, it will be an amazing feat adding to his legacy.  Unfortunately, it will be a very tall task.  

Biggest Dake fan ever but he has to bring it tomorrow or it will be another disappointment.  Only time will tell but his match against Nolf in State College was merely a warmup.  He was just toying with him, got a lead etc.  Tonite he demolished him. The worst thrashing I have ever imagined seeing.  He is on a mission but just hope he has a gameplan that suits the challenge he faces in Mr Burroughs.  I have no reason to believe he doesnt.

I think these will be very close matches, but there is always a suspicion while watching Dake, that if he just had no strategy at all other than to end the match violently then no one could ever stop him. I will know who will win when I see Dakes reaction the first time JB open hand punches him in the face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MadMardigain said:

I’d would say Dake is more in the drivers seat than he has ever been against JB.  Let see if he can deliver tomorrow.   

if he doesn't beat Jb now he'll never be as good as JB. Jb has already proved he is better than him. If he beats Jb on his way out, cool. Jb in his prime is hands down better than Dake

It's been a pleasure watching both of these guys for the last decade plus.  I can remember JB's first worlds, and it was the first thing I'd ever watched on my phone while riding in a car.  I marvelled at how far above expectations he performed and made my wife (who was driving on a long trip) listen to me explain how big of a deal it was.  For a decade since then I've rooted for both of these guys.  Sad that one has to lose.

Prediction wise I've got Dake in close but never in doubt matches.

Edited by boconnell

I was amazed and scared for Burroughs after watching Dake destroy Nolf like that. Now this morning after I settled down from all the excitement and rewatched it, I don’t think there’s anything in that match to show us Dake has surpassed Burroughs. He very well may have... just saying that match isn’t good evidence. Nolf is relatively new to freestyle and made a huge mistake that got him thrown. Then he gets gutted twice. I think even Nolf would agree he has work to do on par tarre defense. I know Dake has a nasty gut wrench, but it’s going to be much tougher to get that on a freestyle vet like Burroughs, and there’s no way Burroughs fights into a seatbelt like that and gets launched. I think it’s going to be a close series that is going to be decided by just a few key exchanges. It could go either way and I think the winner becomes an Olympic gold medalist. Can’t wait!

20 hours ago, Jajensen09 said:

if he doesn't beat Jb now he'll never be as good as JB. Jb has already proved he is better than him. If he beats Jb on his way out, cool. Jb in his prime is hands down better than Dake

I’ll stick with my earlier statement. It was about Dake now not the entire legacy of JB, which can’t be erased with this.  I’m not even a huge Dake fan, but it’s his time. 

Edited by MadMardigain

On 4/2/2021 at 11:56 PM, GoNotQuietly said:

I think these will be very close matches, but there is always a suspicion while watching Dake, that if he just had no strategy at all other than to end the match violently then no one could ever stop him. I will know who will win when I see Dakes reaction the first time JB open hand punches him in the face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder the same.

He blew through JB on that first match TD, then coasted, confident in his defense.  And it makes strategic sense when wrestling a legendary re-attacker like JB.  If you can get to a chest wrap or crotch lift off your opponent's shot, as he did, why risk a shot that costs a lot of energy, and could backfire?

I wish he'd attack more when wrestling the top guys, but his strategy makes (if that is his strategy) makes sense, and a lot of the top Russians seem to wrestle similarly.

11 hours ago, whaletail said:

I wonder the same.

He blew through JB on that first match TD, then coasted, confident in his defense.  And it makes strategic sense when wrestling a legendary re-attacker like JB.  If you can get to a chest wrap or crotch lift off your opponent's shot, as he did, why risk a shot that costs a lot of energy, and could backfire?

I wish he'd attack more when wrestling the top guys, but his strategy makes (if that is his strategy) makes sense, and a lot of the top Russians seem to wrestle similarly.

If his goal has been to win all his matches without getting hurt and come in to the Olympics to destroy people => Gold Medal

If his goal is to defend the throne of being number one and coast to a Gold Medal => Trouble

Luckily, he has an outstanding coaching and support staff a couple of few who have already been on top of this podium and know what it is like.

Even the greatest Russians, Saitiev and Karelin, have famously faltered at the Olympics by being too conservative and/or looking past guys who are hungry.

Edited by GoNotQuietly