Jake Joe  Mcbride

Will Yianni Ever Be As Good As Dake

Yianni is a bit of a weird case IMO because his growth looked nuts after he won his NCAA title and then burst onto the freestyle scene jumping tiers quickly and even beating Bajrang.

I thought he’d be a lock for our team in 2021 a few years back but then his improvement has slowed down.

Until Yianni shows more consistent offensive attacks and also better defense I’m not entirely sold on him as a legit world class competitor.

2 hours ago, wamba said:

Until Yianni shows more consistent offensive attacks and also better defense I’m not entirely sold on him as a legit world class competitor.

So regularly beating world medalists/champions and winning international tournaments doesn’t legitimize enough for ya??

So regularly beating world medalists/champions and winning international tournaments doesn’t legitimize enough for ya??

Not in a comparison to Dake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, Lurker said:

He is obviously a legit high level wrestler but I’m surprised that qualifying for our national team - especially given the relative lack of high level talent compared to other weight classes - has been an issue for Yianni given his trajectory a few years back.

And to clarify - no way Yianni is world class if he can’t get by JO or Zain.

Edited by wamba

1 hour ago, wamba said:

He is obviously a legit high level wrestler but I’m surprised that qualifying for our national team - especially given the relative lack of high level talent compared to other weight classes - has been an issue for Yianni given his trajectory a few years back.

And to clarify - no way Yianni is world class if he can’t get by JO or Zain.

In the last two years he’s beaten five world/Olympic medalists/champions and won himself a couple international gold. 
But....okay.

Hilarious.  

1 hour ago, CoachWrestling said:

Who are the world medalist/champions he’s regularly beating? 

See above. Has beaten five in the last two years. 

If your next response if for me to name them, my reply would be to learn educate yourself. 

13 minutes ago, Lurker said:

In the last two years he’s beaten five world/Olympic medalists/champions and won himself a couple international gold. 
But....okay.

Hilarious.  

In all fairness, he also lost to several guys who have not won any world/Olympic medals. So I don’t know if that fits the definition of “world class” or not. It’s a subjective term. The reality is Yianni is obviously very good, but that’s a tough comparison for anyone. Very few people will ever be as good as Kyle Dake.

My bad, I didn’t see the “compared to Dake” check box on the “is he world class” registration. 

Next time simply read the title of the thread...maybe a few times....slowly...out loud if it helps.

Honestly it’s just hilarious to me that people can be so.....whatever word best describes.....that they can try to make some kind of argument that an athlete with those credentials is somehow not a “legit” world class athlete. However they want to try to break it down. 

But to each their own. 

2 minutes ago, Crash said:

Next time simply read the title of the thread...maybe a few times....slowly...out loud if it helps.

I specifically quoted and replied to a post where the author stated he didn’t feel YD was legit world class competitor. I did not specifically respond to the title of the thread, or any statement comparing on whether or not he would ever be as good as Dake. 

But continue to tell me more about reading comprehension. 

52 minutes ago, Lurker said:

But....okay.

Hilarious.  

I guess you have a different definition of world class than I do then. I view world class as only a handful of wrestlers at each weight - and IMO Yianni still isn’t there.

Yianni has some really solid wins but until he shows he can 1) consistently beat guys domestically so he can get on the team (especially when he’s not blocked by someone like Burroughs, Dake, etc) and then 2) gets quality wins on the biggest state he isn’t among the elite in the world IMO.

Let me rephrase the question to you then so we don’t get caught up in semantics - where do you rank Yianni internationally in his weight class

I still think Yianni is our best shot at a medal and he’s one of my favorite wrestlers so this isn’t meant as a shot at him.

It’s possible to critique a wrestler while still being respectful and trying to rightfully establish where he fits internationally.

Edit - better structure 

Edited by wamba

1 minute ago, wamba said:

I guess you have a different definition of world class than I do then. I view world class as only a handful of wrestlers at each weight - and IMO Yianni still isn’t there.

Let me rephrase the question to you then so we don’t get caught up in semantics - where do you rank Yianni internationally in his weight class?

Yianni has some really solid wins but until he can get over the hump domestically and gets quality wins on the biggest state he isn’t among the elite IMO.

I still think Yianni is our best shot at a medal and he’s one of my favorite wrestlers so this isn’t meant as a shot at him.

It’s possible to critique a wrestler while still being respectful and trying to rightfully establish where he fits internationally.

I don’t know where I would put a number next to his name in terms of international ranking. I just believe he is a legit world class competitor, and that his accomplishments on the world stage back that up. That’s all. 

11 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I don’t know where I would put a number next to his name in terms of international ranking. I just believe he is a legit world class competitor, and that his accomplishments on the world stage back that up. That’s all. 

That’s fair. It seems we have a different definition of “world class” which is fine.

I’d also be willing to bet we actually have a pretty similar view on Yianni as it seems we are both big fans. Despite me bringing up some critique I think he is amazingly talented, is incredibly smart in the mat, is as cool headed as anyone and that he still remains one of our brightest talents for the future internationally.

Fingers crossed he keeps improving and is a mainstay on our team in the near future.

11 minutes ago, Jason Moore said:

I would argue that he is ahead of where Dake was in college. No idea if he will continue to improve. If he is able to grow into a full sized 74 kg, his athleticism will make more of a difference.

This.  After his first two years, some people were still questioning if Dake's first two championships were flukes.  And Yianni still has no triceps.

That said, I think the biggest difference between the two may be mental.  I think Yianni really loves wrestling.  I think Dake really hates losing.  Subtle, but the motivation is different.

42 minutes ago, Elevator said:

what had Dake done when he was Yianni's age?  I think we just have great depth at that weight right now.

I’d guess that Yianni has a better freestyle resume than Dake did at the same age.

Dake’s biggest freestyle accomplishments need to be compared to Burroughs as he was the best wrestler in the world when Dake was Yianni’s age. So I guess maybe his OT loss to Burroughs at trials and then consistently beating Taylor who also showed he was close to beating Burroughs.

Someone more knowledgeable than me can probably give better info.

Edited by wamba

Kind of a dumb question. But in 2012, when Dake was in college, he came in third in the OTT tournament (with JB not competing). Yianni did, so far, about the same. But Yianni has also won several international tournaments, which, I believe, Dake never did while in college. How things progress from here, who knows. But as Dake's own career shows, you can be second best in the USA for a long time and never make an Olympic team, though Dake has a good chance of doing so this year.

Is Yianni world class? Flo has him 18th in the world in his weight class, one rung behind Zane. Niether Oliver not McKenna is ranked at all.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Honestly it’s just hilarious to me that people can be so.....whatever word best describes.....that they can try to make some kind of argument that an athlete with those credentials is somehow not a “legit” world class athlete. However they want to try to break it down. 

But to each their own. 

If you can’t get past domestic guys who aren’t real medal threats than how can you yourself be considered world class?

3 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

If you can’t get past domestic guys who aren’t real medal threats than how can you yourself be considered world class?

I think I’ve covered this, but I’ll try another way. 

you are a legit world class competitor, if you legitimately compete on a world class level. 

That should be simple enough. Good gravy. Enjoy the finals everyone. 

Edited by Lurker