Jump to content
jackwebster

Fix needs a change of scenery.

Recommended Posts

He needs to get away from the old man shaking his fist at the officials and his cadre of sycophants.(case in point:  Perry cost Ferrari his best chance to win the match against Mach by throwing that challenge brick)

He also needs to get a new therapist.

13 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Such as developing an offense...

 

Edited by jackwebster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

 Daton lacks confidence in his offense.

That and -- as you said -- he does't have a reliable leg attack. His neutral game relies on action created off the other guy's pressure. . . And the far ankle scramble.

He has no short offense. That is incredible considering that he can snap dudes through the mat. 

Edited by jackwebster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, The Take Out said:

He's off the juice, plain and simple

Maybe, but that wouldn't prevent him from learning a leg attack. Further, his matches weren't that different when he was on the juice. Consider the previous Vito match: Fix gets down big early and mounts a successful comeback. Last night sorta the same story, but comes up short. (Edit: for reference compare Fix then and now, to Bolt vs Synder at Yarygin to Bolt at the Olympics)

His big wins (the old skool one vs Lee, two years ago vs Suriano, and Gilman at the WTT's) all had a weird "luck" element. I know you make your own luck, but ... an inside trip for four against a Godcalf like dude in Spencer Lee? An abuse of a new eye poke rule vs Suriano? A Kendall Cross quadpod exposure vs Gilman? 

Edited by jackwebster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AHamilton said:

I haven't watched a huge amount of "age group" stuff, but did Fix mature early?  This almost seems like a case where he hit puberty before all the other kids, bullied them on the mat, and now they have caught up to him and Daton lacks confidence in his offense.

Yes, I think this is very possible. He was old for his grade if I remember. You'd have a hard time finding a more physically mature high schooler.

On a technical level, he's always been pretty one-dimensional. Over reliant on his over collar shrug, scrambling, and his trap arm in freestyle. After he was scouted after a year or two, his offense just totally disappeared. He hasn't added the necessary variety and hasn't continued to develop physically to offset the scouting. 

I also think he might be a little too big for 57. He went from looking like a gigantic 133 to a small 57 in two weeks. He was so sucked out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he doesn't wrestle the same way in big matches as he does all year long.  If you watch all of his matches his offense is awesome, when he has a big match like against Suriano or RBY he just freezes and is afraid to make a mistake.  His offense and skillset isn't the problem, it's a problem mentally that he wrestles not to lose when it counts instead of how he does 99% of the time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cowboy08 said:

he doesn't wrestle the same way in big matches as he does all year long.  If you watch all of his matches his offense is awesome, when he has a big match like against Suriano or RBY he just freezes and is afraid to make a mistake.  His offense and skillset isn't the problem, it's a problem mentally that he wrestles not to lose when it counts instead of how he does 99% of the time

I just think he doesnt have elite level offense, can score at will against those beneath him, but doesnt have the ability to do it to those with elite defense. Then he is forced to rely on his own defense which is elite.

Edited by Drake_Mallard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Maybe, but that wouldn't prevent him from learning a leg attack. Further, his matches weren't that different when he was on the juice. Consider the previous Vito match: Fix gets down big early and mounts a successful comeback. Last night sorta the same story, but comes up short. (Edit: for reference compare Fix then and now, to Bolt vs Synder at Yarygin to Bolt at the Olympics)

His big wins (the old skool one vs Lee, two years ago vs Suriano, and Gilman at the WTT's) all had a weird "luck" element. I know you make your own luck, but ... an inside trip for four against a Godcalf like dude in Spencer Lee? An abuse of a new eye poke rule vs Suriano? A Kendall Cross quadpod exposure vs Gilman? 

Jamil Kelly, also of OSU, made a very astute observation: If  you watch a guy and wonder, how the hell does he get that move to work, it's usually inhuman strength. In other words, I don't think it was "luck."  Fix was never an offensive powerhouse. He was and is more of a counterwrestler with excellent scrambling and very, very strong. When you make him just strong, he's not the same guy.

He has been training with NCAA champions and world level coaches for, what, a decade now? Maybe a change of scenery can help his mind, but I don't see how he magically grows an offense at this point in his career. He has another 3 years of NCAA eligibility but he's 23.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Jamil Kelly, also of OSU, made a very astute observation: If  you watch a guy and wonder, how the hell does he get that move to work, it's usually inhuman strength. In other words, I don't think it was "luck."  Fix was never an offensive powerhouse. He was and is more of a counterwrestler with excellent scrambling and very, very strong. When you make him just strong, he's not the same guy.

He has been training with NCAA champions and world level coaches for, what, a decade now? Maybe a change of scenery can help his mind, but I don't see how he magically grows an offense at this point in his career. He has another 3 years of NCAA eligibility but he's 23.

Totally agree. I think the only way he gets better is a hard mental reboot. A change of scenery will not give him a new two-on-one series, but it might allow him to open up on the 1 leg attack that he does have against lesser opponents.

Re "luck": yeah, "luck" is not the right word. But, I can't dismiss the fact that he is still wrestling coinflip matches. There hasn't been a dramatic drop-off since the suspension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Totally agree. I think the only way he gets better is a hard mental reboot. A change of scenery will not give him a new two-on-one series, but it might allow him to open up on the 1 leg attack that he does have against lesser opponents.

Re "luck": yeah, "luck" is not the right word. But, I can't dismiss the fact that he is still wrestling coinflip matches. There hasn't been a dramatic drop-off since the suspension.

Well, he has lost to two guys that he "should" beat, at least on paper.  RBY and Vito.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Well, he has lost to two guys that he "should" beat, at least on paper.  RBY and Vito

I see your point, but he should have beat "Phillipi" before the suspension. These are all coinflip matches. Same with Desanto both years. 

I think "coinflip" is who he is. If he tries another training situation, it might change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was anyone else put off by the fact that John Smith was busy announcing for NBCSN while Fix was out there wrestling in the semis?

As a fan I appreciate Smith’s announcing, but it seems to me that he should have been matside during his best wrestler’s biggest match of his life. I obviously know he has other coaches too, and Smith’s role is probably more administrative these days, but isn’t that one of the biggest reasons Fix went there — to have 2x Olympic Champ John Smith guide you to the Olympics? 

It was actually a bit weird to see Smith commenting on the match when they cut to the last 30 seconds of it, yelling what Fix should do (as though Fix could hear him), and then being forced to concede that Fix’s brick challenge at the end lacked merit. Smith was probably right but it left a sour taste in my mouth that Smith was earning a few bucks commentating when he ought to have been down there fighting for his guy, or at least supporting in a secondary role.

Edited by BAC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BAC said:

Was anyone else put off by the fact that John Smith was busy announcing for NBCSN while Fix was out there wrestling in the semis?

As a fan I appreciate Smith’s announcing, but it seems to me that he should have been matside during his best wrestler’s biggest match of his life. I obviously know he has other coaches too, and Smith’s role is probably more administrative these days, but isn’t that one of the biggest reasons Fix went there — to have 2x Olympic Champ John Smith guide you to the Olympics? 

It was actually a bit weird to see Smith commenting on the match when they cut to the last 30 seconds of it, yelling what Fix should do (as though Fix could hear him), and then being forced to concede that Fix’s brick challenge at the end lacked merit. Smith was probably right but it left a sour taste in my mouth that Smith was earning a few bucks commentating when he ought to have been down there fighting for his guy, or at least supporting in a secondary role.

I was watching the broadcast and thinking the same thing.  Who did Fix have in his corner for the Vito match?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Take Out said:

Ask the 2007 undefeated Patriots team that lost in the Superbowl about "on paper"

On paper that giants team had more talent.  Not really good example.  Compare rosters.  If Brady and Eli switched teams; giants would still have won. .

Better example is LeBron wade and Bosch losing to Mavs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

maybe John Smith should be a coach to his wrestler instead of a broadcaster 

Maybe he should transfer to Ohio State.  They need a 133 pounder and he could work with Steiber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ShakaAloha said:

Maybe he should transfer to Ohio State.  They need a 133 pounder and he could work with Steiber.

The buckeyes are my team. I would love that.  Decatur for some reason is not very good even though he seems to have all the tools. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...