Jump to content
Mokoma

OTT Finals Thread

Recommended Posts

So happy for Dake.

I have always said that JB was a great wrestler/champion, but the qualifying system we had was a joke. Since 2013 they have been thisclose but going through the challenge tournament and then immediately wrestling the finals was insane. And it signaled very clear favoritism that was reflected in the calls. All any Dake fan was asking for was a fair shot. Even so, beating JB was no gimme. When you lose to a guy that often, even with a stacked deck, it gets in your head. And JB was pulling out the stops. But it is amazing what a wrestler can do without dead legs from a same day challenge tournament.

Anyway Dake is Olympics bound and JB has already been to the mountain top. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jp157 said:

Forced interview after loss and made her talk about it and her mom dying 

Drama vultures.

As soon as they heard about her mother, they started flying lazy circles around her.

Edited by TheOhioState

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, iha said:

So happy for Dake.

I have always said that JB was a great wrestler/champion, but the qualifying system we had was a joke. Since 2013 they have been thisclose but going through the challenge tournament and then immediately wrestling the finals was insane. And it signaled very clear favoritism that was reflected in the calls. All any Dake fan was asking for was a fair shot. Even so, beating JB was no gimme. When you lose to a guy that often, even with a stacked deck, it gets in your head. And JB was pulling out the stops. But it is amazing what a wrestler can do without dead legs from a same day challenge tournament.

Anyway Dake is Olympics bound and JB has already been to the mountain top. 

JB earned the bye to the finals in 2017 after winning the US Open (where he beat Dake).  JB also won worlds every year Dake competed against him in the WTT, so it seems like the system worked -- at least, in their case.  Dake finally caught JB, and it'll be interesting to see what he can do at the Olympics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jose132 said:


I read that. Heard some people weren’t happy with him.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that guy, who is definitely JP O'Connor and not just some random guy, is kind of a jerk  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Katie said:

JB earned the bye to the finals in 2017 after winning the US Open (where he beat Dake).  JB also won worlds every year Dake competed against him in the WTT, so it seems like the system worked -- at least, in their case.  Dake finally caught JB, and it'll be interesting to see what he can do at the Olympics.

"Earned" is a very strong word for what happened in that US Open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah, that guy, who is definitely JP O'Connor and not just some random guy, is kind of a jerk  

It’s guys like him that made me decide not to go to Harvard.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Katie said:

JB earned the bye to the finals in 2017 after winning the US Open (where he beat Dake).  JB also won worlds every year Dake competed against him in the WTT, so it seems like the system worked -- at least, in their case.  Dake finally caught JB, and it'll be interesting to see what he can do at the Olympics.

He "beat" Dake despite Dake getting two push outs to one and Dake being put on the clock three times while JB had his hand in Dake's face all match. And regardless it was an extremely close match with Dake outwrestling JB. More to the point, nothing could justify a same day challenge tournament before the finals best of three no matter what occurred at the US Open. 

The system "worked" only in the sense that it protected the incumbent from a bona fide challenge and made very clear exactly who the powers that be wanted to win. The very first time it is a square match, JB lost in two straight. And does JB win in 2017 without the same day challenge tournament? Not based on what I saw. 

 Anyway, Dake is going to the Olympics.

 

 

Edited by iha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, iha said:

He "beat" Dake despite Dake getting two push outs to one and Dake being put on the clock three times while JB had his hand in Dake's face all match. And regardless it was an extremely close match with Dake outwrestling JB. More to the point, nothing could justify a same day challenge tournament before the finals best of three no matter what occurred at the US Open. 

The system "worked" only in the sense that it protected the incumbent from a bona fide challenge and made very clear exactly who the powers that be wanted to win. The very first time it is a square match, JB lost in two straight. And does JB win in 2017 without the same day challenge tournament? Not based on what I saw. 

 Anyway, Dake is going to the Olympics.

 

 

cry more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I ask this honestly, is David Taylor ok?

Ok I do not know any scores except what has been on this topic so far but yesterday I thought something was either wrong with DT or there is some major rust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, iha said:

He "beat" Dake despite Dake getting two push outs to one and Dake being put on the clock three times while JB had his hand in Dake's face all match. And regardless it was an extremely close match with Dake outwrestling JB. More to the point, nothing could justify a same day challenge tournament before the finals best of three no matter what occurred at the US Open. 

The system "worked" only in the sense that it protected the incumbent from a bona fide challenge and made very clear exactly who the powers that be wanted to win. The very first time it is a square match, JB lost in two straight. And does JB win in 2017 without the same day challenge tournament? Not based on what I saw. 

 Anyway, Dake is going to the Olympics.

 

 

...this was not the first "square" match they have had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

I want to say a quick shout out to @ConnorsDad who just blindly let me use his Peacock log in.  We do not know each other, and I get that it's just a streaming service log in and not your social security number, it was still an incredibly kind and generous move.

You can have my SSN as well! Seriously, glad to do it. I had stuff to do with the wife and I prefer to read the posts and then watch it later. Thanks for the kind words. You are welcome to it anytime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Serious question - why didn't Cox just bump to 125? Gable is looking awesome but I believe Snyder and Cox would both win the weight.

11 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Neither of them can even compete with this version of Gable IMO!

Serious answer - The only way Snyder and Cox would win at 125 is if they both wrestled Gable at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...