Sign in to follow this  
BadgerMon

All Time great riders

Was thinking about how well Kyle Dake rides...and was thinking way back about someone who compares. Its hard for me to say that anyone has proven "better".

Mike Sheets comes to mind ( Oklahoma State, early 80s).

LeRoy Smith was quite sticky too.

Bill Cripps of Arizona State has the NCAA Championships record of over 7 minutes ( sorry Mark Schmitz!)

Whom do you think of when you consider the great riders of wrestling?

Was thinking about how well Kyle Dake rides...and was thinking way back about someone who compares. Its hard for me to say that anyone has proven "better".

Mike Sheets comes to mind ( Oklahoma State, early 80s).

LeRoy Smith was quite sticky too.

Bill Cripps of Arizona State has the NCAA Championships record of over 7 minutes ( sorry Mark Schmitz!)

Whom do you think of when you consider the great riders of wrestling?

There have been plenty of riders equal to or better than Dake. Jeff Prescott, Mark Branch, the Steiners, and the best I ever saw, Tim Kreiger at ISU. Kreiger was brutal!!

Dake is great controlling the ride, but others were better at turning their opponents.

BTW, I'm sure I'm leaving many great ones off.

Old school: Wade Schalles. Known mostly as a pinner, but with his style, you have to ride first before you can pin. Brutal, inventive, simply the best top man ever.

New school: Kyle Dake. Honorable mention: Ben Askren. Though he would generally do whatever he wanted and had more of a "win big" mentality than an old-school "take 'em down, ride 'em, pin 'em" mentality, his riding ability was superb. Actually reminded me of Schalles in a lot of ways.

Jay Borschel especially his senior year. Mack Lewnes had no idea how to get up! Almost felt sorry for him but not really. Mack hadnt been taken down all year and Jay did it twice I believe. I remember yelling don't let him up Jaybo! What was I worried about?! Nothing

I like the Krieger ( not Krieger from Archer lol) and Steiner references....and I'll add the Gibbons brothers too.

I did not think about Askren, Moore, Mills, Schalles and others because they generally got riding time with guys already on their backs. Was thinking more of wrestlers who controlled even the best of the best, but not necessarily turning them ( ala Dake).

From "back in the day" of course Gable could not only pin, but that goes along with riding and breakdowns....Dale Bahr was also great at riding, and came out of the same wrestling room as Gable.

Anyone who wrestled for Bahr would tell you that too!!

The greatest riders I've seen from 1971 on

1. Rod Kilgore would regularly have 6-7 minutes of riding time in an 8- minute match. Rode Mark Lieberman for about 6 minutes while suffering from a separated shoulder in the 1977 finals at 167.

2. Andy Matter

3. Mike Sheets

4. Bill Cripps

5. Mark Churella

6. Keith Stearns

7. Mitch Clark

8. Tim Krieger