Sign in to follow this  
BadgerMon

All Time great riders

From "back in the day" of course Gable could not only pin, but that goes along with riding and breakdowns....Dale Bahr was also great at riding, and came out of the same wrestling room as Gable.

Anyone who wrestled for Bahr would tell you that too!!

Dale was our high school coach in Algona, Iowa back in the 70's

Percival. Rode Mike Zadick (among others) like a dog (to use Dake's simile - apparently they ride dogs in New York) at NCAAs.

I'm surprised no one called Dake out on that. I was expecting a wave of threads in here about how Dake disrespected his PSU finals opponent again.

Jarid Frayer was tough on top. Used some viscious turns on Percival in the 2002 NCAA tournament to get to the semi-finals and kept Jantzen down on the mat as well. Funny how both Percival and Jantzen have already been mentioned, yet a guy who rode both of those guys out goes unmentioned.

Josh Lambrecht was insane on top. His tilt series was as Steve Irwin would say, "Danger! Danger! Danger!". The guy majored and even tech falled quite a few caliber opponents.

Jeremy Spates was a monster on top. Often over looked as he was only a 1 time All American, but he was tough to escape from. Rode 4 Time All American Dustin Monotti for over 4 minutes in a match once. Very tough on top.

His career was cut short because of injuries but does anyone remember Wade Sauer? He was a heavyweight that could turn about anyone with his power half nelson. A lot of guys made the mistake of chosing down against him and they'd end up getting turned over and pinned.

Evan Sola is another name that comes to mind for being tough on top. Nathan Morgan of Oklahoma State made the mistake of chosing down against him in the R12 match at the NCAA's and it cost Morgan an AA award. Sola rode the snot out of him, as he did many people. Guy was just a monster on top.

imo..it's very tough to compare riding today vs. old school ... old school wrestlers actually hit MOVES from the bottom virtually EVERY start/restart and chain wrestled to get out.

Now days most often a wrestler either does nothing on the whistle, or tri-pods up.

Riding was much tougher and everyone TRIED to ride. Not so today where many many times guys simply "cut" their opponent.

Not at all saying Dake couldn't ride old school wrestlers, but he would have had to work very hard to do it.

The greatest riders I've seen from 1971 on

1. Rod Kilgore would regularly have 6-7 minutes of riding time in an 8- minute match. Rode Mark Lieberman for about 6 minutes while suffering from a separated shoulder in the 1977 finals at 167.

2. Andy Matter

3. Mike Sheets

4. Bill Cripps

5. Mark Churella

6. Keith Stearns

7. Mitch Clark

8. Tim Krieger

Big Apple- I have a lot of respect for you. But your list is as "glory days" as it gets. Any list without Dake and Cael is useless IMO.

How can you guys forget about Derrick Moore from UC Davis? Dude was a leach on top. His riding in the NCAA finals was awesome to see.

Moore was maybe not one of the best ever, yet he did certainly put on a clinic in that finals match !!!! I was going to mention him till I saw your post!! Was that a CRUSHING finals match or what??? :o

OLDE SCHOOL: From the early/mid 70's the University Of Washington had a kid name Tom Brown, who was a hammer on top, nearside leg, far-side cradle that was just unstoppable. (excerpt by Lee Kemp)

Olympic Champion Jake Varner was a bruiser on top. He bludgeoned opponents into submission with his brutal half and headlock series where he'd dive over the opponent and force them to go over as well or withstand the tremendous torque on their neck. Surprised no one's mentioned him. Another vote for Nick Simmons as well. So creative and dominating from the top or front headlock.

How can you guys forget about Derrick Moore from UC Davis? Dude was a leach on top. His riding in the NCAA finals was awesome to see.

Moore was maybe not one of the best ever, yet he did certainly put on a clinic in that finals match !!!! I was going to mention him till I saw your post!! Was that a CRUSHING finals match or what??? :o

Best part about that match was the announcers. They clearly expected Lang to dominate and barely even acknowledged Moore had a chance until he was up by 12 or so.

I am sure this will get a lot of heat for not being a popular pick cuz he doesn't score much from top. Hard to argue that Tony Nelson is dominant on top. At the end of the year you saw tons of wrestlers decline to go underneath cuz they knew they couldn't get away. My guess for Nelson next year is that he doesn't give up a single TD(only gave up 2 this year and both were to Z) and 10 guys or less choose down on him.

I am sure this will get a lot of heat for not being a popular pick cuz he doesn't score much from top. Hard to argue that Tony Nelson is dominant on top. At the end of the year you saw tons of wrestlers decline to go underneath cuz they knew they couldn't get away. My guess for Nelson next year is that he doesn't give up a single TD(only gave up 2 this year and both were to Z) and 10 guys or less choose down on him.

+1

Jay Borschel especially his senior year. Mack Lewnes had no idea how to get up! Almost felt sorry for him but not really. Mack hadnt been taken down all year and Jay did it twice I believe. I remember yelling don't let him up Jaybo! What was I worried about?! Nothing

He had a mean tight waist, and when you tried to defend and turn away from it, BAM, here comes the half.

I learned it from him when he was a freshman, and I was a 5th year senior, when it was only a fraction of what I'm sure it was his senior year.

1. Rod Kilgore would regularly have 6-7 minutes of riding time in an 8- minute match. Rode Mark Lieberman for about 6 minutes while suffering from a separated shoulder in the 1977 finals at 167.

2. Andy Matter

3. Mike Sheets

4. Bill Cripps

5. Mark Churella

6. Keith Stearns

7. Mitch Clark

8. Tim Krieger

Big Apple- I have a lot of respect for you. But your list is as "glory days" as it gets. Any list without Dake and Cael is useless IMO.

I like this list. If were putting together a list of all-time NBA greats do we have to start with Labron? The lastest are not always the greatest and we are talking about only riding here.

2. Andy Matter

3. Mike Sheets

4. Bill Cripps

5. Mark Churella

6. Keith Stearns

7. Mitch Clark

8. Tim Krieger

I like this list. If were putting together a list of all-time NBA greats do we have to start with Labron? The lastest are not always the greatest and we are talking about only riding here.

this is a great list, and Mark Churella, definitely needs to be on it.