JBluegill133

65kg qualification

1 minute ago, spladle08 said:

How bananas we should've sent Eierman

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask Frank Rizzo because he knows more than me.

We should have sent the OTT version of JO...the one where he fought for every inch, battled from the first whistle, and saved just the right amount in the tank for late-match action. The pendulum from all-attack to ultra-conservative swung too far today and he eventually paid

Wait, so JO already missed weight for tomorrow morning and we are justifiably mad at him about it. Do I have that right? I was at work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol yeah that's what I've gathered but I haven't looked.
I just threw that Eierman bait out there to spice up the pot... Looks like he will finish 5th (I'm assuming it still holds even if he doesn't weigh in maybe it doesnt) so concludes our Olympic dreams

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask Frank Rizzo because he knows more than me.

4 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

Wait, so JO already missed weight for tomorrow morning and we are justifiably mad at him about it. Do I have that right? I was at work

Apparently 

We should have sent the OTT version of JO...the one where he fought for every inch, battled from the first whistle, and saved just the right amount in the tank for late-match action. The pendulum from all-attack to ultra-conservative swung too far today and he eventually paid
I said it to anyone who would listen... The pressure on that dude had to be outrageous, makes first World Team (which happens to be the Olympics) only caveat is he has to win another tournament to even have a shot as this dream... Brutal .... Biggest high and biggest low all within a month or so

31 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I said it to anyone who would listen... The pressure on that dude had to be outrageous, makes first World Team (which happens to be the Olympics) only caveat is he has to win another tournament to even have a shot as this dream... Brutal .... Biggest high and biggest low all within a month or so

I know a lot of people will be upset about him not weighing in (and I get it, it’s a pretty much a “take my ball and go home” act from him), but holy cow what a career JO has had in hindsight. The guy went a combined 0-4 at the 2012 and 2016 Olympic qualifiers. Missed almost 2 full years of competition with the failed drug test. Right there he could have hung up his shoes and been justified. But, he came back as the best international version of himself. He wiped the floor with US guys at senior nationals with a perfect 50-0 run (beating McKenna worse than I’ve ever seen him get tossed around). Then goes through a gauntlet at the 2021 Olympic trials. Beats his old training buddy (and rising international star) Yianni on criteria. I can’t even imagine the feeling for him after he won that tournament. And then gets a tough draw at the last chance qualifier and comes up one match short against world class wrestlers. I also cannot imagine that feeling. 

I hate the result. I really dislike him not finishing the tournament tomorrow. But damn JO, what a ride it’s been to get to this moment. 

Edit to say: not only did he come up 1 match short. He came up 1 point short on a shot clock violation in a match where he scored the only takedown. I get it though, he should’ve been more offensive earlier in the match, shouldn’t have given up easy step outs, etc, etc. But there isn’t a person on this board that hasn’t lost a heartbreaking match at some level where you could have done just a little bit more. We all know that feeling. I’d encourage everyone to give JO a little leeway. He represented himself and USA wrestling well today and came up ever so short. I’ll probably never meet the guy, but I’m proud of him and I hope other USA wrestling fans are as well. 

Edited by goheels1812

3 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

I know a lot of people will be upset about him not weighing in (and I get it, it’s a pretty much a “take my ball and go home” act from him), but holy cow what a career JO has had in hindsight. The guy went a combined 0-4 at the 2012 and 2016 Olympic qualifiers. Missed almost 2 full years of competition with the failed drug test. Right there he could have hung up his shoes and been justified. But, he came back as the best international version of himself. He wiped the floor with US guys at senior nationals with a perfect 50-0 run (beating McKenna worse than I’ve ever seen him get tossed around). Then goes through a gauntlet at the 2021 Olympic trials. Beats his old training buddy (and rising international star) Yianni on criteria. I can’t even imagine the feeling for him after he won that tournament. And then gets a tough draw at the last chance qualifier and comes up one match short against world class wrestlers. I also cannot imagine that feeling. 

I hate the result. I really dislike him not finishing the tournament tomorrow. But damn JO, what a ride it’s been to get to this moment. 

Good point here. Not to mention all the experiences he’s gotten in training all over the country and world. Not just wrestling experiences but life experiences. 

I think people should hold judgement on whatever may or may not be going on with tomorrow. Literally nobody on this board knows anything at this point. 

Habat posted to Facebook that he wrestled the last match of his life.  Sounds like he may have withdrawn himself.  He clearly had no intention of wrestling JO.  So do they tie for 3rd??  I'm assuming Habat didn't weigh-in.

Habat posted to Facebook that he wrestled the last match of his life.  Sounds like he may have withdrawn himself.  He clearly had no intention of wrestling JO.  So do they tie for 3rd??  I'm assuming Habat didn't weigh-in.

That's not how international tournaments work.

The losing semifinalist from each half of the bracket goes straight into the "consi finals" (essentially) to wrestle for 3rd (loser gets 5th)

The other people who have lost to the finalist from that side wrestle their own little mini tournament to see who wrestles the semifinalist (who's waiting to wrestle for 3rd) ... 2-3rds 2-5ths...

But unless you make the championship bout you never wrestle somebody from the opposite side of the bracket

2 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

Really! Didn’t Colman Scott already reference how poorly executed the OTT weight cut was.  I was assuming someone with Team USA would have notice that close enough to make sure a similar issue didn’t occur during the Last Chance Qualifier.  

Is there anything documented on this other than message board reports?. Would have like to at least see him give himself a chance even if it’s only a slight one.  More amazing things have happened before. 

Edited by MadMardigain

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Didn't he say in a Flo interview yesterday or dsy before that his weight was good and on point?

Yes. People are talking about the poorly executed between-days weight management at OTTs (and apparently in this case)

1 minute ago, maligned said:

Yes. People are talking about the poorly executed between-days weight management at OTTs (and apparently in this case)

Damn it.

Us getting 65kg in now relies on Argentina pulling out of the Olympics then?  What are the chances of that?

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

Wait, don't they weigh-in in the morning? How could he have missed weight already?

He defaulted out due to injury.  People are characterizing that as missing weight.  

20 minutes ago, Crash said:

Your Dad should have pulled out.

Sorry you feel so triggered.  Also sorry your boy choked.  I'd still love to see him represent us at the Olympics.

So.

What are the chances Argentina pulls out?  Because your boy choked twice today.  First in the semi-finals and 2nd when he chose not to make weight afterwards.  Now the only chance is Argentina pulls out.

For what its worth, a few months back the Argentina gov't signed into law Olympic athletes could continue their training and were exempt from lockdown laws and restrictions.  More recently, like within a couple weeks or so recently, field hockey hosted the Indian national team  for a tour of the country and couple matches as gear up for the Games. 

I wouldn't hold on too tight to the Argentina pulling from the Games card in your pockets.

Habat and JO were on opposite sides of the bracket. They would not have met in the repechage. They will both be recognized as 5th place finishers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk