15 hours ago, Oily Bohunk said:

It kills me to feel a vibe on here that JO owes US wrestling fans something for this result.   

Having been a part of someone else's journey to an Olympic spot, previously, I have always felt that there could be room for criticism for athletes who show a lack of dedication around preparation for an event like this (I don't think that's the case here with JO) but any disappointment in their actual performance is FOR them and not WITH them. 

From my spot on the couch, JO doesn't owe anyone of us anything regarding his performance.   He went on the mat looking to do the best he could to achieve his dream to wrestle in the Olympics and came up short.   No doubt he has disappointment, and will second guess what he did, but he doesn't owe me anything.  I feel terrible for him.

This is the best comment I have seen on this thread.  Kudos.

8 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

He’s scared of getting tired. 

Understand the point but I don't think that explains the first push out at all or barely the second.  On the first one he wasn't in a position that would have taken any real energy to get out of without stepping out.  

7 minutes ago, drag it said:

Understand the point but I don't think that explains the first push out at all or barely the second.  On the first one he wasn't in a position that would have taken any real energy to get out of without stepping out.  

Oh I agree. I made the point earlier. No way you can give up those step out in any match let alone one of this magnitude.  

22 hours ago, NJDan said:

I suspect this whole JO-weighs-185-pounds-in-the-off-season is BS. He didn't look any bigger than the guys he was wrestling and it's pretty standard for college 149 guys to wrestle 143 in freestyle.

It's not BS.

17 hours ago, nom said:

Him wrestling and losing ... sucks.  But ...I’m not mad at him.  I’m sorry for him.

Now, making no attempt to get bronze to be in line if something goes wrong with top 2 ... that is making me scratch my head.  He is wrestling for the USA.  He needs to do all he can to get us this qualification spot.  That includes picking himself up and getting that bronze.  If this was a case of being mopey ... then I’ll be pissed.  Admittedly I’ve had a hard time tracking what is going on though.  Anyone have the details on this aspect?

I don’t have the energy to read through 23 pages but wrestling for third place is not in any way relevant.  Were something to happen to either finalist, their country would then send another competitor from their country.  That wrestler making the finals did not qualify himself for an olympic spot but rather qualified his country to send a competitor at that weight to the olympics.  I love the forum but this is basic stuff.  Before bloviating that this is some moral failure on JO, take a look at all the medal round matches including the finals!  None were wrestled cuz it doesnt matter!  The whole point of the tourney was to see who made the finals...after that, why wrestle?  Those two guys countries now have a spot and those that failed to get there do not.  Any opinion should be open game on the forum but this isnt opinion it is vacuous nonsense based on a gross misunderstanding of the stakes at play.

6 hours ago, ched64 said:

I don’t have the energy to read through 23 pages but wrestling for third place is not in any way relevant.  Were something to happen to either finalist, their country would then send another competitor from their country.  That wrestler making the finals did not qualify himself for an olympic spot but rather qualified his country to send a competitor at that weight to the olympics.  I love the forum but this is basic stuff.  Before bloviating that this is some moral failure on JO, take a look at all the medal round matches including the finals!  None were wrestled cuz it doesnt matter!  The whole point of the tourney was to see who made the finals...after that, why wrestle?  Those two guys countries now have a spot and those that failed to get there do not.  Any opinion should be open game on the forum but this isnt opinion it is vacuous nonsense based on a gross misunderstanding of the stakes at play.

Wow. Ok.  So they changed things from last time when Molinaro got into the Olympics because guys from ‘qualified countries’ popped positive?

To jog memory ...

https://atlanticcityweekly.com/southerns-frank-molinaro-awarded-spot-in-olympics/article_7d336915-9f45-537d-9a63-bd97fa80f223.html

Sure hope you are right and I’m wrong since if you are wrong you sound like an a&$

Edited by nom

9 hours ago, ched64 said:

You’re saying that a country can send a roided up freak to the OG qualifier to win an Oly spot.  Then, when they piss hot, that same country can just send whoever else they want, it’s still their spot?

Edited by jchapman

10 hours ago, ched64 said:

What you are saying applies to a wrestler getting injured so badly that he couldn't compete  - in that case the country could send another wrestler if they chose to.  If a wrestler is busted for PED use that is not the case - that country would lose it's spot and the 3rd place guy on that side of the bracket would go to the Olympics.  That is why Kosovo and Iran are in at 125kg - The Syrian and the Uzbek were busted at the 2019 WC and those 2 countries replaced them.

If a single wrestler gets injured, of course they send their backup. If someone pisses hot, or if a country backs out of the Olympics b/c of a covid surge or political situation, third place might become important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without reading through 23 pages, if memory serves there were some hot takes on this thread about JO not fighting hard enough at the edge in his semifinals match and injury defaulting out of his bronze medal match. Turns out he tore his LCL in the quarterfinals.

But those guys challenging his heart were probably right.

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Turns out he tore his LCL in the quarterfinals.

JO tore his LCL? If some situation happens where he gets a spot in the Olympics, is he going to be able to wrestle? It's my understanding that internationally you can't wear those big knee braces.

6 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Without reading through 23 pages, if memory serves there were some hot takes on this thread about JO not fighting hard enough at the edge in his semifinals match and injury defaulting out of his bronze medal match. Turns out he tore his LCL in the quarterfinals.

That explains why it looked like he was gassed/ jet lagged/ cut too hard. He still made it to the semis... what a tough break for JO when he finally broke through.

Ok.  So he was actually injured.  Sorry to hear.  Really sucks to occur at that time.

I was one of the ones asking why he didn’t wrestle in consi matches.  Seemed weird to not do so.  Now I know why.  

I feel for the guy.  Wrestled a super tough gauntlet to get to be our rep.  Very impressive.  Clearly good enough to be called an Olympian.  Cards fell the wrong way though.

On 5/25/2021 at 10:00 AM, Wrestleknownothing said:

JO admitted that he can’t give up those edge points and that he needed to be more aggressive in the first in a Flo interview. I agree a torn ligament plays a part but he was able to get a TD in the second period and looked fine doing so.  I for sure was not challenging his heart, more his match tactics and approach. 

9 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

JO admitted that he can’t give up those edge points and that he needed to be more aggressive in the first in a Flo interview. I agree a torn ligament plays a part but he was able to get a TD in the second period and looked fine doing so.  I for sure was not challenging his heart, more his match tactics and approach. 

Everyone has a plan... until they tear their LCL