nom

2021 OTT consi bout thread

aCtually -- Honis Vs Waltz.  1st period.  Honis on clock.  Honis goes in low to left foot and is able to lean back and get out back for 2.    Honis needs a break.  Something is up.  He is walking around.  OK, I think Walz went low, came up and back of head hit Honis in jaw.  Honis dazed a bit.  

Walz posts on arm, goes in for double and gets the TD. 2-2.   I don't often see Walz shoot.  Like what I'm seeing when he does.

2nd period.  Walz goes in for single and gets it!  4-2 Walz.  Getting in very clean.  Honis a bit flat footed.  Honis again real low to W left foot.  But W feeds the hips, gets foot back out and stalemate.   (someone leaving shoes on mat? something, standing O going on -- regarding another mat).  Walz with a go behind off a Honis shot.  6-2 Walz.  1:20 to go.  Honis firing but W defending each time.  B not getting in clean.  43 sec to go.  Walz reacting well to Honis lowering.  H goes again but not through.  W almost gets a reshot, but no.  H fires again.  front headlock W. Nothing.  H active but can't break through.  Walz wins 6-2.

Walz has Gadsen for 3rd (Zillmer FF on that side)

Edited by nom

Nelson vs Kerk ... 1-0 on shot clock.  Kerk in lead.  End of period.  That is all. (I did join late)

More importantly, I swear I can hear a tune in the background that is making me think of Iranian fans.  I can't type the tune, it is faint, but I swear I can hear it.  Anyone else?

2nd.  Kerk about to be put on clock but shoots, and Nelson gets behind.  2-1 Nelson.  (Parris is beating Bradley 4-0, but hearing Bradley got 4 now.  4-4).  Will move to that one.  This one is zzzzzzzzzzz.  Hold, Kerk on clock.    3-1 Nelson.  MOving to Parris/Bradley.   (Nelson wins -- is it the Minnesota tiger wrestling club, has tiger stripes, or .. I don't know)

Parris / Bradley - 2nd period.  Bradley up 4-4 on criteria.  Mason goes in but is stuffed.  Mason goes in, Bradley toe touches  lightly out of bounds.  Barely.  It looked like at least.  5-4 Parris.   Lots of pushing.  Parris to edge.  Parris circles.  Bradley working double unders.  Parris backing.  Whistle .. why?  Huh?   Bradley goes, I think Parris stepped out, but no call, Parris gets beyind, 2 offered but not confirmed.  Bradley with double unders and Parris is running backwards, whistle blows and ref is awarding Bradley a point.  2 seconds left!!  That would win it for Bradley.  I can see it.  Parris was running backwards.    Wait, Parris awarded a point?  6-4 Parris.  What the hell?   I'm lost.  What is going on??  Bradley side has challenged.  Apparently Dom stepped out!!

Review happening.  Announcer is saying Dom did step out.  Someone is talking about the whistle.  Parris wins 7-4 with lost challenge.  Bradley walks away ... but then does walk across and slaps Parris' hand. 

Hmmm, a bit weird there.

Edited by nom

Dom Bradley just pushed titties around for 5:58 and the ref tried to hit Parris with a cation+1 for circling at the end. Judges rightfully gave Parris 1 for Dom going out and Parris 6-4. Bradley bricks it, loses review, and storms off the mat. Should have hit the treadmill all these years and maybe things would have gone differently.

3rd place match -- Tomasello vs Richards.  Damn, 2nd period already.  T is up 7-4.  2:30 to go.  T gets a takedown, helped by a singlet grab that no one saw (but me).  Not sure how much it helped but he had a handful.  (TD with 2:10 to go in second, go take a look). T up 9-4.  10-4 with a step out.  Z pushing T to edge, T lowers, gets both legs.  TD.  Zane rolls to back, exposes T but T awarded the points.  12-4.  Zane high crotch, goes low and around.  12-6.  

Z fires again, but T sprawl and feeding hips.  SM.  26 sec to go.  Z goes in for high single around corner.  T defends, is able to get away.  Match done. 12-6 Tomasello.

7 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Dom Bradley just pushed titties around for 5:58 and the ref tried to hit Parris with a cation+1 for circling at the end. Judges rightfully gave Parris 1 for Dom going out and Parris 6-4. Bradley bricks it, loses review, and storms off the mat. Should have hit the treadmill all these years and maybe things would have gone differently.

This whole post made me laugh out loud. Kudos lol

3rd place - Nick Lee vs Yianni Diakomihalis.

Lee reaches, no.  Y lowers and reaches in.  Lee tries to spin behind.  No.  Lee gets the TD!  Yianni reaching for a leg for his defense.   but Lee works well to get that TD. 1:30 to go.  Yianni is warned?  Huh.  Lee with four!  Scramble and goes upper.  Yianni is pushing it but Lee is the one that takes advantage!   

6-0 Lee!  Arghh.  Come on Yianni.     Scramble.  I can't describe these.  TD Lee!  8-0!!  NOOOOO.   

2nd period.   Wow.  Nick freaking Lee.  Lee smalles blood.    Wow, scramble.  backs exposed again and again.  Can't describe.  13-4 Lee.  2;10  to go.   Lee on leg.  Yianni hips in and converts a TD.  13-6.  1:40.  Yianni in but Lee with monster hips.  Yianni trying to muscle him but it doesn't work.  SM.  1 min.  Y in but hips.  Lee reshot, Yianni away.  45 sec.  

I can't describe all this.  16-8 Lee.  15 sec to go.  Wow.  Lee is winning scrambles vs Yianni.  He has come a long way.  Congrats to Nick Lee.

Edited by nom

7 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

Nick Lee is on fire

If they both stay at the same weight, even as a Hawkeye fan, I don't see how Eierman ever beats Lee again

By cradle or not at all at this point it looks like.

65kg is once again absolutely bonkers.

Edited by wrestlingphish

6 minutes ago, goStanford18 said:

I can't believe Nick Lee beat Retherford. To follow that up by torching Yianni. How did this guy ever lose in this tournament?

Because JO is a beast and will show it against McKenna tonight.

Who else beat Gabe Dean I see it’s Downey / Valencia for 3rd?

1 hour ago, nom said:

Ferrari vs Honis - Honis is good, and I'm rooting for him, but F should show what he has here.  

Incredible match and you should watch it if you can find it. Honis got the W but the future is with AJ. His two crotch lifts were incredible. The one for 4 as time ticked off in the first period and Honis was holding a quad pod was not only 665-deadlift-strong but also really impressive mat awareness. Time ran out and I think the scoring was correct but once AJ gets a little better in par terre and gets used to the fact that freestyle refs won't let him stalk on his knees and then fire off into ankles, he's going to be a force at the weight (if he stays at 97). And I don't even like him and loved that he lost! I didn't want to see him lose on a knee injury, though, so I was glad he was able to continue.

1 hour ago, klehner said:

Yianni and Zain really didn't want to be there, but Yianni wanted to win and Zain didn't seem to care.  Yianni looked completely dejected the whole match, and sorta just wandered off the mat after the dominant victory.  Sad.

I wasn't sure if Yianni or Dean were going to go today but it makes more sense for Yianni to get Team USA support at this stage of their careers. Dean's going to go back to coaching so all-or-nothing for Tokyo makes sense; Yianni is young and will be gunning for national teams for a long time and being #3 on the ladder still worthwhile. (imo, anyway.) Good match against McKee who has a great head-pinch but not much else and once Yianni figured out how to roll through it to limit the damage, the tech followed.

8 minutes ago, nom said:

3rd place - Nick Lee vs Yianni Diakomihalis.

Lee with an incredible match. He didn't let Yianni sprawl - fought through positions and was able to snatch an ankle from some crazy angles. Very impressive, especially after he blasted Zain. This weight is crazy competitive domestically and so deep internationally that it may not even matter who we send. 

Also, I didn't pull a post about PD3 vs Aaron Brooks but ... goddamn. That was an incredible match from Downey. Great at neutral, dominant in par terre. Unexpected.

The only other match that really stood out to me as a must-rewatch was Sam Jones teching Taylor LaMont in Greco in like 20 seconds. And also everything Kennedy Blades did yesterday.