6 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Were Yianni and Zain just too dejected to focus on Nick Lee or are Lee's victories really meaningful?

Yianni's and Zain's respective states of mind could play a role.  Early signs also suggest that Lee is better at freestyle than he is at folkstyle.

Edited by Katie

Great question, I don’t know but I’d say maybe both, Nick Lee really brought it today though, he launched both of them in their matches. Iced his Retherford match with a merkle of all things, and sent yianni through the cieling with a steparound polish throw.

I was surprised by how big Lee looked next to both Zain and Yianni.  

Nick Lee really impressed me for the first time in his career. The crow I eat tonight with be in his honor.

Great job in not just beating Zain and Yianni, but utterly dominated both. Super impressive.

Does he move on to freestyle only now?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

I know that guys are heart broken but it still surprises me how little wrestlers vale 3rd place.  I get that their dreams have been Olympics.  But still 3rd place is something you can be proud of the rest of your life.  

You're talking about a 3x NCAA Champ and a 2x NCAA Champ.  Anything short of making the Olympic Team is a let down for Zain and Yianni.

15 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

I know that guys are heart broken but it still surprises me how little wrestlers vale 3rd place.  I get that their dreams have been Olympics.  But still 3rd place is something you can be proud of the rest of your life.  

Not only that but being in 3rd place puts you in a situation that you could make the team in the event of the top 2 guys going down to injury.  I know that is a long shot but it isn't beyond belief.  I also think it makes you part of the National team which is great for future experiance.

5 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

Being on the national team is also financially meaningful still, right? Travel, camps, stipends, coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of those things too but I bet there is a new incentive in town in the modern era of post-collegiate wrestling: Getting noticed by RTCs. There’s only so many paid RTC slots around. Showing the skill to make a team or the grit to place high at a top event now has extra value thanks to RTCs. 

The third place guys are true wrestlers. Guys who will wrestle anywhere. True grit!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

A good rule of thumb with freestyle consi results is that they are basically meaningless.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

So PDIII would've won if it had meaning?  ;)

10 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

Not many wrestlers can claim this if any. Well done Nick Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t buy the it’s basically meaningless line. Sure, consi results are different but meaningless? Consider: Fix, Colon, Gross, Vincenzo and Gabe Dean all forfeited out of the tournament. Zain and Yianni both got up, made weight and wrestled. In Yianni’s case he beat McKee and showed up again for the third place bout. So when exactly did he decide it doesn’t really matter, I hate my life right now, I’m not really going to try?

It’s not lack of effort as much as crushed spirit that’s relevant if a guy shows up. We have all wrestled through adversity before and it takes a truly special person to be unaffected. Huge kudos to Nick Lee, the biggest surprise of the OTT for me so far, but I doubt he wrestled the best versions of Zain or Yianni. I’m not trying to take away from his accomplishment, although I suppose I ultimately am, but the drop-off in performance after massive disappointment is a well-known phenomenon that even the great JB cannot overcome at the highest possible stage. 

That said, Nick Lee gets my most improved award and Ironman award for the OTT. My respect level for him went way up. 

There is also a difference between a guy who was among the favorites to make the team vs. a guy who most didn't expect to. I'm sure Nick Lee believes in himself I don't think in his heart of hearts he thought he would be the rep. Zain and Yianni did. Subjective, I know.

Yianni and Zain both stepped on the mat, and I doubt either wanted to get drilled by Nick Lee. But that is exactly what happened. Yianni FF to Nick Lee once before, but he wrestled today and Nick opened a can of you know what on him. When is the last time anyone beat Yianni by 8 points? 

Let's not diminish what Nick Lee did today by claiming someone else mailed it in, and one of his victims is one of my all time favorite wrestlers.

3 hours ago, Katie said:

Yianni's and Zain's respective states of mind could play a role.  Early signs also suggest that Lee is better at freestyle than he is at folkstyle.

This statement is somewhat ironic considering the fact that Lee just won the NCAA championship.

3 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Clearly their respective mental states after losing on the front side played a huge role.  Nick lost to Oliver 8-3, who Yianni lost to on criteria in the closing seconds. 

Matchups are important in freestyle. Nick Lee probably doesn't mind the fact that JO's career will probably end after these Olympics.

3 hours ago, VakAttack said:

A good rule of thumb with freestyle consi results is that they are basically meaningless.

Still smarting from the Eirmann loss I see.

3 hours ago, cjc007 said:

Nick Lee really impressed me for the first time in his career. The crow I eat tonight with be in his honor.

Great job in not just beating Zain and Yianni, but utterly dominated both. Super impressive.

Does he move on to freestyle only now?

Props to you for publicly eating crow when a great wrestler impresses you! No, he doesn't move on to freestyle only. He comes back to D1 next year and runs the table. Will he be able to maintain weight at 141, though? He looks pretty big.  

Just now, pa in taiwan said:

Still smarting from the Eirmann loss I see.

What does Eierman have to do with the consolations at this tournament?  We saw what felt like 3/4 of the field default.  The results in the consis at a freestyle tournament don't mean much, if anything.

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

There is also a difference between a guy who was among the favorites to make the team vs. a guy who most didn't expect to. I'm sure Nick Lee believes in himself I don't think in his heart of hearts he thought he would be the rep. Zain and Yianni did. Subjective, I know.

You clearly do not know Nick Lee.