Sign in to follow this  
Katie

JB fan support thread

Just now, scribe said:

I braced for Burroughs to take his shoes off after that loss. Any word on his plans? 

I did too!!  I so thought he was, and was thinking the whole time...don't do it...don't do it!!  So glad he didn't!!

10 minutes ago, scribe said:

I braced for Burroughs to take his shoes off after that loss. Any word on his plans? 

From the man himself:

“It’s been a long journey for me,” Burroughs said. “I’m really thankful for this ride that I’ve had with USA Wrestling. It’s not over for me. Because I’ve left the building as a champion on so many occasions, you forget what it’s like to be on the other side. I’ve built resiliency because of the difficulties I faced early on in my career and this is a part of the process. You get beat, you dust yourself off, you rebuild and you come back and try again.”

Now on to Penn RTC and coach Slay.

If Dake medals, he'll automatically be the 2021 74 kg rep at world after the Olympics. I don't see Dake turning that down to go 79 kg because he is sick of cutting weight. 

So then, if he does not retire (it's one thing to say you won't in the moment, but you never know), will JB take the year off? I don't think so. I think he'll bump up to 79 kg to get a medal (so he can skip to the semis at next year's WTTs if he medals or even in the best of 3 finals if he chooses to hang out at 79 kg for a while). 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

I’m guessing we wait and see how dake does. I wouldn’t put it past him to head back to 79 for the next two (or three?) regular worlds cycles. Either weight can be his and the team is probably stronger (arguably) with both him and Burroughs in the lineup. 

8 minutes ago, scribe said:

I’m guessing we wait and see how dake does. I wouldn’t put it past him to head back to 79 for the next two (or three?) regular worlds cycles. Either weight can be his and the team is probably stronger (arguably) with both him and Burroughs in the lineup. 

I think Dake makes the cut again in 2021 and thereafter as long as he keeps medaling. There is the significant incentive of sitting in the best-of-3 74 kg finals while all others battle it out for the right to face you. I don't see him giving that up.

JB may be more impacted by the cut to 74 than Dake based on JB's own comments about finding it hard to find that fifth gear anymore at 74 kg.

I am sad JB will not be our representative.  Happy for KD that his dream finally came true for him.  He did not just win,  he beat JB.  And I am sad about that.  But JB has had a phenomenal run that only Bruce Baumgartner is close to.  2016 Olys were bad, but every other time JB went to Olys or worlds, he came back with a medal.  That is really impressive.  Thank you Jordan, you have been, and will continue to be, a great ambassador for the sport of wrestling. 

mspart