portajohn

2021 Best Since 1984?

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

You're a bum.

74, 86, 97 all locks to medal. 57, 125 outside looking in. 65, ehh

You give me +1500 that US medals +1.5 and I'll take your money all week. Should have gone to a real school where they teach you that elementary school math doesn't cut it for a basic bachelor's.

Hey @MizzouGrad are you in? I want to win some more money from chumps this weekend.

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

Can you name any guys qualified for the Olympics at 125kg aside from Taha or Gino off the top of your head?  

Also, how did Gable do at the last international tournament he competed in?  Do you even know what tournament that was?

Sure, I can name three; Taha, geno, and Gable :D.  And I'm pretty sure that's your top 3 right there.   Has Gable even competed in an international tournament?  He certainly hasn't been to the olympics before.  But neither had Snyder, or burroughs, or Cejudo, or any of the dudes that won world/olympic titles in their first shot.

Point is, everything has to start their international career somewhere.  Gable has proven he has the tools to absolutely trash a guy who has been 3rd in the world twice, I don't see why anyone would doubt his ability to compete with the top two.

In fact I'm going to go a step further and call it right now - Gable wins an olympic title.

8 hours ago, Lesh_Is_Morer said:

I was at the 1984. It was a Soviet boycott year. If the East Bloc was there I am not sure how many we would have won. Maybe none or just a few.

I loved Jeff Blatnick and was matside when he won. But if the East Bloc were there I am not sure he would have placed.214007663_JeffBlatnick.thumb.jpg.8f1e037056f0b5fb0ef62ad9ae22248f.jpg

Johansson, whom he beat in the finals, was a perennial medalist, probably taking more than one silver to Karelin.  I have to believe that Jeff was capable of medaling.

8 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

Almost zero chance we medal at 57 or 65. Look at our history at these weights it’s dismal. Gilman has an outside shot

Gilman has a chance. It will likely depend on draw. He isn’t better than the top few, but he can beat any of them if they are coming off a tough quarter. Gilman is in better shape than all of them. 

8 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

No offense, but your take is crazy.  I love Steveson and think he will medal but he is not beating Gino and/or Taha.  The gold will be from either 86 or 74, but neither is a "lock."

Barring a miracle, I have low expectations for 57, and 65 has his work cut out for him qualifying the weight let alone medalling in a weight with Rashidov, Tevanyan, and Otoguro.

Steveson can beat Geno or Taha. Heavyweight in particular is heavily reliant on draws. 

Taha hasn’t competed since 2019, and he hasn’t won gold since 2016, partially due to Geno being in the way. He didn’t  place in 2018.

They are favorites against Gable on paper, but I’m picking Gable vs Taha fairly confidently. Geno may be a tougher style matchup, but Geno has gassed before, so the draw could make the difference for Gable. Gable might actually be able to beat him anyways 

10 hours ago, MizzouGrad said:

I got 1500 odds with current betting lines. Wanna go straight up? 

I'll take that bet - the US Men's FS team will win at least 2 medals in Tokyo.  The only caveat I will include is that the Games go forward and the wrestling is held with the US team competing.

2 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Johansson, whom he beat in the finals, was a perennial medalist, probably taking more than one silver to Karelin.  I have to believe that Jeff was capable of medaling.

Jeff was good. Maybe he would medal. 
It is important to note Jeff took third at a lower weight, and was dominated by twice, at the senior nationals. 
That is when he decided to move up to heavy.  
Jeff had an amazing run in LA.  Karelin teched Jeff after he won the Gold in LA when he was 15 or 16 I believe. It was scary to watch. 
The bottom line is no one has any clue how any of our teams and / or individuals would have done because it was not even close to a real Olympics.  
The least affected weight class in both types was 125 pound Greco.  The top 5 were the best in the world at that time and had previously beaten all East Bloc wrestlers.  The US took 5 th at that weight. 
Again. Jeff had the tournament of his life and the Swed had a bad day.  
For everything Jeff had gone through, what he did was amazing and he is greatly missed. 

1 minute ago, leshismore said:

Jeff was good. Maybe he would medal. 
It is important to note Jeff took third at a lower weight, and was dominated by twice, at the senior nationals. 
That is when he decided to move up to heavy.  
Jeff had an amazing run in LA.  Karelin teched Jeff after he won the Gold in LA when he was 15 or 16 I believe. It was scary to watch. 
The bottom line is no one has any clue how any of our teams and / or individuals would have done because it was not even close to a real Olympics.  
The least affected weight class in both types was 125 pound Greco.  The top 5 were the best in the world at that time and had previously beaten all East Bloc wrestlers.  The US took 5 th at that weight. 
Again. Jeff had the tournament of his life and the Swed had a bad day.  
For everything Jeff had gone through, what he did was amazing and he is greatly missed. 

It was Karelin's first year as a senior, in the Schenectady Armory, I believe.  I think he was at least 19.

2 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Delete

Edited by Jim L

1 minute ago, AHamilton said:

It was Karelin's first year as a senior, in the Schenectady Armory, I believe.  I think he was at least 19.

You could very well be correct. And it was still scary.  
my brother videotaped the match. The reverse guts were brutal.  
It literally hurt to watch it. 
Too bad we lost that tape after my brother passed. 

Ya the 1996 team will always be special to me. I got to meet them at Edinboro University just after the Olympics and still have autograph pictures from everyone except Brands I don't remember if he was there or if I just didn't get his.

12 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

The one with Zeke Jones, John Smith, Kenny Monday, and Big Bruce on it. 

The 1904 USA Olympic team swept all the medals (7 gold, 7 silver, 7 bronze). 

However, Norway claims 2 of the golds, Germany claims 1 silver, and Switzerland claims 1 bronze.  (Several members of the USA team were recent immigrants who did not yet have US citizenship.)

300px-Wrestling_match_during_1904_Summer_Olympics.jpg

The 1984 team is overrated.  They had 7 gold medals, but that is only because of the boycott.  The Soviets had 7 golds in 1980 and also at 1982 and 1983 world championships which were not boycotted.  They also won 5 in 1985 to the USAs 2.  1984 was good but in a normal year would look a lot more like the 1992 and 1996 teams.  

On 4/4/2021 at 1:13 PM, Fishbane said:

The 1984 team is overrated.  They had 7 gold medals, but that is only because of the boycott.  The Soviets had 7 golds in 1980 and also at 1982 and 1983 world championships which were not boycotted.  They also won 5 in 1985 to the USAs 2.  1984 was good but in a normal year would look a lot more like the 1992 and 1996 teams.  

You are 100% correct.