CJE64

Sorry...but NBC’s coverage was awful

i hope no one ever brings up usa wrestlings inability to garner an audience again.  The NBC coverage was a disgrace to any fan of MFS...aka the core of all wrestling in this country.  What successful sport forces their customer base to use 3 devices to watch key aspects of their biggest competition.  In no particular order:

1 NBC had no scrolling info on upcoming matches or results on other mats

2 There were 3 semi finals of this communities favorite wrestlers on simultaneously...yianni, dake and nolf

3 Matches were highlighted that the people in the arena werent even watching

4 Well known announcers couldnt explain basic stuff....possibly because they had no monitors on which to actually see what we were seeing

and many many more completely unexplainable foolish outrages

I get it, they want to expand viewership of the talented folks in wfs and greco...guess what? that is not what 90% of your viewer audience wants to see.  It was paricularly annoying that they did a split screen for 30 seconds during a review...once in two days coverage.  If you want to grow the audience, this is not how to do it.  NBC Sports grade? F

Edited by CJE64

So what am i wrong about? That you checked track...which by the way had score updates ahead of the tele coverage and then you decided between peacock and nbcsn and the chose what you wanted to watch and then in the finals you had no choice and then what exactly? How many non wrestling psychos are going to do that?  I was right there with you but really?

So what am i wrong about? That you checked track...which by the way had score updates ahead of the tele coverage and then you decided between peacock and nbcsn and the chose what you wanted to watch and then in the finals you had no choice and then what exactly? How many non wrestling psychos are going to do that?  I was right there with you but really?

I had three devices streaming concurrently: TV, iPad, and iPhone.

Watched the finals on my Apple devices to let my wife watch her MD alma mater (UCLA) play in the Final Four - btw, what an ending!

Helen M. was hitting a foot sweep while UCLA & Gonzaga were in OT - what a heartbreaking final shot. Thought the game was heading for double OT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Disagree. I saw ever match I wanted to. Mat assignments were provided four-deep on Track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you might be a littler savvier than most (or at least than me) when it comes to operating technology.  It was a case of me figuring out how to optimize the experience just as the tournament had finished.  Ah well.  

The people running things for NBC clearly have different priorities than the average poster on this site.  Vastly different. They are producing TV "entertainment." We want to have as close an experience as possible to being in the arena, which leads, and will always lead, to all the accurately noted problems in this thread.

NBCSN, NBC Sports app, NBCSports.com, Peacock and Trackwrestling.. It took all those to have the chance to see what I wanted to see. If that's OK for some people, I guess we have different expectations. No split screen that I could find on any of those feeds so it was pick a mat and watch the others happening at the same time at a later date. The bout order was puzzling. Weights were out of order and disciplines were intertwined. I'm exhausted from refreshing the track mat assignments. Thank God for those.

The announcer on Mat 3 was awesome throughout the tournament. Highlight of my viewing experience. For those who only watched on NBCSN, you missed  listening to an expert.

3 hours ago, DanGerMan said:

The announcer on Mat 3 was awesome throughout the tournament. Highlight of my viewing experience. For those who only watched on NBCSN, you missed  listening to an expert.

Nick Garone was on 4. The voice on 3 sounded familiar though.

The coverage was not good considering that different mats were on different channels but you could work around it to see all of the mats at once.  It requires using your computer and a Roku, AppleTV or other streaming device that can accept screen mirroring.  Open multiple tabs on your computer and then play around with the sizes so that all 3 or 4 mats are in a split/multi view on the same screen.  Mute the sound on the ones you don't want to hear (I kept the sound on the NBCSN broadcast since John Smith was the color guy - who BTW is excellent).   Screen mirror it to your TV, crack a beverage of your choice  and  you're in business.

I know the coverage was not ideal but for those of us who grew up only being able to watch a few minutes of tape delay wrestling every 4 years when they were on the olympics (if you were lucky) this isn't all that bad.  The casual fan is never going to be interested in watching every single match at once and NBC tried to broadcast a variety of matches on their main channel to give coverage to all 3 styles.  

7 hours ago, CJE64 said:

i hope no one ever brings up usa wrestlings inability to garner an audience again.  The NBC coverage was a disgrace to any fan of MFS...aka the core of all wrestling in this country.  What successful sport forces their customer base to use 3 devices to watch key aspects of their biggest competition.  In no particular order:

1 NBC had no scrolling info on upcoming matches or results on other mats

2 There were 3 semi finals of this communities favorite wrestlers on simultaneously...yianni, dake and nolf

3 Matches were highlighted that the people in the arena werent even watching

4 Well known announcers couldnt explain basic stuff....possibly because they had no monitors on which to actually see what we were seeing

and many many more completely unexplainable foolish outrages

I get it, they want to expand viewership of the talented folks in wfs and greco...guess what? that is not what 90% of your viewer audience wants to see.  It was paricularly annoying that they did a split screen for 30 seconds during a review...once in two days coverage.  If you want to grow the audience, this is not how to do it.  NBC Sports grade? F

You seem to be under the misapprehension that the dedicated wrestling fan (those who know the competitors, want to watch particular competitors, post to Internet wrestling boards, etc.) is the target audience for NBC:  it isn't.  They don't care about a fringe group like us.  Why would they?  We constitute a very small segment of the viewers.  They want to expose more people to the spectacle, er, sport.  Compelling stories improve interest; correctly calling fleeing the mat doesn't.

NBCSN, NBC Sports app, NBCSports.com, Peacock and Trackwrestling.. It took all those to have the chance to see what I wanted to see. If that's OK for some people, I guess we have different expectations. No split screen that I could find on any of those feeds so it was pick a mat and watch the others happening at the same time at a later date. The bout order was puzzling. Weights were out of order and disciplines were intertwined. I'm exhausted from refreshing the track mat assignments. Thank God for those.

This. Add to that, I was active on this message board. I didn’t miss a thing, but it was all available to me. I wonder how other sports, say gymnastics does it for the passionate fan? Do they have apparatus streams?

Agree 100% that the coverage was awful for all the reasons state. I’m sure Connor’s Mom thought it was awesome though.

Stream quality was good though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Gasman1 said:

The coverage was not good considering that different mats were on different channels but you could work around it to see all of the mats at once.  It requires using your computer and a Roku, AppleTV or other streaming device that can accept screen mirroring.  Open multiple tabs on your computer and then play around with the sizes so that all 3 or 4 mats are in a split/multi view on the same screen.  Mute the sound on the ones you don't want to hear (I kept the sound on the NBCSN broadcast since John Smith was the color guy - who BTW is excellent).   Screen mirror it to your TV, crack a beverage of your choice  and  you're in business.

I know the coverage was not ideal but for those of us who grew up only being able to watch a few minutes of tape delay wrestling every 4 years when they were on the olympics (if you were lucky) this isn't all that bad.  The casual fan is never going to be interested in watching every single match at once and NBC tried to broadcast a variety of matches on their main channel to give coverage to all 3 styles.  

Although it certainly have been better, Gasman is right......I started out going to events to film with Super 8 in the early 70's.....we have come a long way with FLO, Track, this year other events thru Rokfin and more, and most recently ESPN covering NCAA's  (I'm always there, so don't see it on television).  Then there is the BTN.  The OTT's could have been better, but hopefully it will continue to get better yet.  Last night I was disappointed because, it had been advertised that 3 mats would, again be on Peacock as it had been earlier the past 2 days.  Then you got to Peacock and not there.....had to do some hunting and a lot of fooling around to figure out how to get the other 3 mats....missed a couple of matches in the process....that was disappointing, but did get to see most of it.  Can't imagine not having the right technology, and trying to navigate thru what it took to watch it all.  UNBELIEVABLE wrestling this weekend.....when the consolation matches are amazing, you know it's great wrestling/wrestlers.  What a weekend....now on to Tokyo.....train smart the rest of the way.  Also......not taking anything away from Kyle Dake.....he's amazing, but love you Jordan Burrough's!!!!  Thanks for being not only a phenomenal wrestler, but a phenomenal person, on and off the mat!!

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

One EASY fix would be to keep all MFS on one mat, all WFS on another mat and all greco on a third mat-- and just keep them there.

And then 95% of folks wouldve missed the fantastic wrestling and human interest stories going on in WFS.

Another option is just keep all NLWC on mat 4.  ;)

Look at the bright, side Flo bought/merged with Track so there will be one less vender/streaming service to complain about next year ... ahh ... well ... until ABC Sports adds their Flamingo package.  :0