lu_alum

JO Weight Cut

So how much did JO have to drop for day two? Commentator remarked that Coleman Scott was shocked at how much JO went up-and-down before day two weigh-ins. That’s a significant statement, given how much Scott has cut in his day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good question, and it can explain why he was not as explosive today as some would have liked.  If he can get this situation better managed over the next month, that could help his chances in Bulgaria.

Related questions:

1. Is there really no true 2nd at the last chance?
2. What is the process used (if any) if a country decides no to go to the Olympics due to Covid or political reasons or whatever?  How do they decide what country gets their spots (or do they go unfilled)?

Edited by Crash

4 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

So how much did JO have to drop for day two? Commentator remarked that Coleman Scott was shocked at how much JO went up-and-down before day two weigh-ins. That’s a significant statement, given how much Scott has cut in his day.

He started his cut around 180. It's insane how big JO gets in the "off-season." I've never seen such a small man have such a sick weight range during a wrestling season. As a % of bodyweight, he may be the cutting GOAT, even giving Mean Gene Mills more than a run for his money. 

3 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

John Smith was his college coach. Interpret that statement however you wish.

John Smith was also Coleman’s coach.... I’m thinking JO must’ve been stupid heavy if Coleman hadn't ever seen anything like it. 

It was kind of funny how the announcer was talking about how great JO is doing with wrestling lifestyle and health and all that in chapel hill. Then his next sentence was about JO cutting so much weight the night before that Coleman Scott had never seen anything like it lol. Those things don’t really add up (in my head at least).

He started his cut around 180. It's insane how big JO gets in the "off-season." I've never seen such a small man have such a sick weight range during a wrestling season. As a % of bodyweight, he may be the cutting GOAT, even giving Mean Gene Mills more than a run for his money. 

I doubt he was 180 last night. The comment was related to his peak yesterday to making scratch again this morning. 37 lbs is a bit unrealistic.

Just now, lu_alum said:

I doubt he was 180 last night. The comment was related to his peak yesterday to making scratch again this morning. 37 lbs is a bit unrealistic.

No, I don't mean THIS weekend, FFS. He would be dead if he lost that much weight My point is, he started his descent to 65 kg from +40 lbs. I wouldn't be shocked to hear he was cutting 15+ lbs 2 days in a row. 

9 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

HOLY $HIT WHAT 180???!!?!?!!?!

No, I don't mean THIS weekend, FFS. He would be dead if he lost that much weight My point is, he started his descent to 65 kg from +40 lbs. I wouldn't be shocked to hear he was cutting 15+ lbs 2 days in a row. 

You’re steering folks away from the OP. Not surprised he goes 180 in the off season. Didn’t he wrestle Nolf at 175 on the Chicago rooftop?

2 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

HOLY $HIT WHAT 180???!!?!?!!?!

He said so himself in a recent interview. I remember hearing Reece Humphrey talking about seeing JO weight 186 one summer at the OTC. JO  usually cuts 10-15 lbs the night before. That's why my guess was 15+ if Coleman has never seen that much from him before.

Some people can just sweat!!

Just now, lu_alum said:

You’re steering folks away from the OP. Not surprised he goes 180 in the off season. Didn’t he wrestle Nolf at 175 on the Chicago rooftop?

C'mon, man. I specifically said off-season in my post. Nobody with half a brain would think he cut 40 lbs the day before. He'd be dead.

3 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

He said so himself in a recent interview. I remember hearing Reece Humphrey talking about seeing JO weight 186 one summer at the OTC. JO  usually cuts 10-15 lbs the night before. That's why my guess was 15+ if Coleman has never seen that much from him before.

Jesus I sweat like a whore in church a la Cox at 8:15am, weigh about 193-195 on race day and still only lose about 12-13 pounds for the duration of a marathon. That is insane and he is going to be on dialysis about two days after he is done wrestling. I thought he had that crap under control finally.

9 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Does he get fat, or is he just that big?

30 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Very talented, but his lack of discipline at times is worrisome. 

Just now, Jake Joe Mcbride said:

Very talented, but his lack of discipline at times is worrisome. 

I think 170+ for a 65 kegger, agreed. But I don't think it's poor discipline to cut 10ish (15 is definitely too much) for a guy like JO who has done it constantly. Some people can cut a lot of weight quickly and not be as affected. Obviously, JO is one of them. Dragging out a weight cut for a few days can end up being worse for some. 

I was never a good weightcutter so it amazes me how much some guys can drop and still go a full 6 or 7 in college. Stephen Abas competed at 170 lbs at one point in MMA. He had JO-like cuts back in his day sometimes. 

8 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

no no no no no @nhs67 what did you start

Yes... let the evil flow through you, @wrestlingnerd.

JO is a massive 65 kegger.  If he can keep his weight on point and miss the hammers early at last chance, he absolutely has a great chance to qualify.

Hopefully we see primo JO and we get the weight qualified.

It actually makes sense to hold dehydration for the least amount of time that you can, physiologically. How you do that yo-yo in the middle of a two day tournament and still compete like JO did is pretty wild, though.

180 during the off season isn’t as shocking. And not holding weight to focus on technique and recovery makes a lot of sense. Low body fat is bad for your immune system and joint health. Look at the Russians when they aren’t on a competitor phase (or Sadulaev even when he is haha)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I think 170+ for a 65 kegger, agreed. But I don't think it's poor discipline to cut 10ish (15 is definitely too much) for a guy like JO who has done it constantly. Some people can cut a lot of weight quickly and not be as affected. Obviously, JO is one of them. Dragging out a weight cut for a few days can end up being worse for some. 

I was never a good weightcutter so it amazes me how much some guys can drop and still go a full 6 or 7 in college. Stephen Abas competed at 170 lbs at one point in MMA. He had JO-like cuts back in his day sometimes. 

I agree that people are a lot better at cutting weight than others.  I'm amazed at the ones that cut then hydrate/eat and look so much bigger than their opponents.  Then others who just shrink.  Incidentally, Zain looked to me like a guy who shrank and just wasn't as effective with his noticeable muscle loss. 

In regard to JO, he is so talented, but wonder about his discipline in training diet, etc.  This, and his mentality in wrestling.  If he was offensive consistently, he would be so much more effective.  Anyway, he looks dialed in now. 

The qualifier is a two day event with a standard UWW schedule. I wonder if you have to weigh in the second day to keep your spot if you make the finals. Also, the repechage could matter with either COVID or potential doping violations.

It would be great if he managed his weight better over the next month and was able to wrestle more offensively to earn a spot in the field.

McKenna should stay frosty as well, just in case he is needed as per the qualification document:
"In an effort to maximize performance, all 2020 Olympic Team members will have a mandated weight control plan (see 3.1.54.). Each wrestler will meet with the Freestyle National Coaching and Medical Staff to lay out his particular plan. Failure to follow the plan may be grounds for removal from the team."