7 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Jesus I sweat like a whore in church a la Cox at 8:15am, weigh about 193-195 on race day and still only lose about 12-13 pounds for the duration of a marathon. That is insane and he is going to be on dialysis about two days after he is done wrestling. I thought he had that crap under control finally.

Have you dropped 12-13 while hydrating during the race?  I'm about 182 ish on race day and have lost 12, but that as with a huge amount of fluid intake during the race (so I probably sweated off 20+ and replaced 8-10)

8 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

Someone needs to get that cleaned up soon before he end up looking like crap in the opening rounds of the stupid difficult last chance qualifier.  

Paging Jordan Oliver, Daniel Cornier on line one

Massive weight cuts have always occurred-K Chertow was 26 lbs over 2 days before his competition in Seoul, and it showed on the mat (one and done). Mark Shultz did cut 12 lbs in an hour in Pensacola (Remember Foxcatcher), although he did it outside the arena in the sun (not in the hallway as in the movie) with Dave pushing him hard. Akins used to do 2 IV's after weighins (when it was still legal), huge weight cutter. Agree that some guys can't do it while others thrive, obviously making a big difference in their appearance on the mat. Gene Mills said he weighed over 140 in the finals with Gonzales in the 118 NCAA finals (weigh-ins were the night before); imagine the suffering to make 114.5 (52 kg). Waiting till the last second is the ideal way to do it; Terry Brands was a master of this thinking. He'd be 10 over with less than 2 hours before weighins, but his routine was solid, getting on the air dyne and pushing as hard as he could for one hour in plastics, hood, gloves, etc and he's on weight when done. The beauty here of course is that you immediately rehydrate and you're back up to 135-36 where you were when you started the cut, keeping your size. Obviously it takes a well-conditioned athlete to pull this off, and of course you have to be hydrated to begin with. Cutting water weight at the very end is the way to do it. I just can't believe that J.O. cuts water weight in the evening; it would take much longer for rehydration to be fully assimilated after a long delay between getting down to weight and then sitting on it till weighins. Science shows after 90 min the body (if no fluids are injested) will attempt equilibrium of body fluids by going to other areas of the body for lack of fluid balance, including muscles (which will often lead to cramping).

2 hours ago, fullnelson said:

Massive weight cuts have always occurred-K Chertow was 26 lbs over 2 days before his competition in Seoul, and it showed on the mat (one and done). Mark Shultz did cut 12 lbs in an hour in Pensacola (Remember Foxcatcher), although he did it outside the arena in the sun (not in the hallway as in the movie) with Dave pushing him hard. Akins used to do 2 IV's after weighins (when it was still legal), huge weight cutter. Agree that some guys can't do it while others thrive, obviously making a big difference in their appearance on the mat. Gene Mills said he weighed over 140 in the finals with Gonzales in the 118 NCAA finals (weigh-ins were the night before); imagine the suffering to make 114.5 (52 kg). Waiting till the last second is the ideal way to do it; Terry Brands was a master of this thinking. He'd be 10 over with less than 2 hours before weighins, but his routine was solid, getting on the air dyne and pushing as hard as he could for one hour in plastics, hood, gloves, etc and he's on weight when done. The beauty here of course is that you immediately rehydrate and you're back up to 135-36 where you were when you started the cut, keeping your size. Obviously it takes a well-conditioned athlete to pull this off, and of course you have to be hydrated to begin with. Cutting water weight at the very end is the way to do it. I just can't believe that J.O. cuts water weight in the evening; it would take much longer for rehydration to be fully assimilated after a long delay between getting down to weight and then sitting on it till weighins. Science shows after 90 min the body (if no fluids are injested) will attempt equilibrium of body fluids by going to other areas of the body for lack of fluid balance, including muscles (which will often lead to cramping).

But the 2-hour weigh-in is the huge difference between those epic cuts and big cuts today. I’d rather cut 20 lbs the dat before than 10 a couple hours before stepping on the mat. Both are brutal, and the former much more painful, but that day of rest makes an enormous difference.

But the 2-hour weigh-in is the huge difference between those epic cuts and big cuts today. I’d rather cut 20 lbs the dat before than 10 a couple hours before stepping on the mat. Both are brutal, and the former much more painful, but that day of rest makes an enormous difference.

The second day weigh-in wasn’t two hours. He had about eight hrs to recover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

The second day weigh-in wasn’t two hours. He had about eight hrs to recover.

But he had to get through the first day to even make it. Guys like Chertow were a few screw turns from full-on crazy to cut that much, but it's just a different situation when you have an entire day to recover. A 158 lb guy sweating off 10% of his bodyweight to weigh in, gain maybe 1/3 or so of the weight he lost back before it's time to wrestle is brutal in its own different way. Then to have to do it again a day later, even with the 8 hours is very tough. 

The OP that I made had to do with how much he had to drop to make day two. Your initial response (and subsequent posts) are taking us on a tangent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, lu_alum said:

The OP that I made had to do with how much he had to drop to make day two. Your initial response (and subsequent posts) are taking us on a tangent

OK, if you say so, but  it’s not an unrelated tangent. Making weight a second time after a day of wrestling to prep for a best of 3 is quite different than weighing in once with an 8 hour window. 8 hours is not enough to fully recover as it is. Obviously much better than 2 hrs. I think you can reasonably assume that if JO cut 15 or so (which he himself said was “a lot” in a recent interview on Flo) for day 1,  he wasn’t cutting 25 lbs the second day....  and since none of us knows for sure, my guess based on what he said about his usual cuts is 10 day 1, 15 day 2 (only because of Coleman’s comment). 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

A lot of these weight cutting stories seem to have a mythic quality to me. 

Did you know that two days before the NCAAs Gene Mills caught a 40-pound fish in a pond behind his house?

On 4/4/2021 at 7:02 AM, AHamilton said:

Have you dropped 12-13 while hydrating during the race?  I'm about 182 ish on race day and have lost 12, but that as with a huge amount of fluid intake during the race (so I probably sweated off 20+ and replaced 8-10)

I roughly alternate between a swig of water and 2oz Maurten 160 every 1mi/3k depending on the aid station setup and if I get access to a bottle table or if I have to figure out my own hydration logistics. Usually around +3 to 3.5 lbs of hydration intake with a net loss of 13ish pounds for a full.

Can only imagine the short-term and long-term damage of JO continually pulling insane amounts of weight considering I have 50 pounds on him and I'm walking to the starting line with a half gallon of water, light breakfast, and stuffed with last night's veal parmigiana

11 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I roughly alternate between a swig of water and 2oz Maurten 160 every 1mi/3k depending on the aid station setup and if I get access to a bottle table or if I have to figure out my own hydration logistics. Usually around +3 to 3.5 lbs of hydration intake with a net loss of 13ish pounds for a full.

Can only imagine the short-term and long-term damage of JO continually pulling insane amounts of weight considering I have 50 pounds on him and I'm walking to the starting line with a half gallon of water, light breakfast, and stuffed with last night's veal parmigiana

I've done two, but my last one was an unseasonably warm 77 at the finish.  Lots of sweating!