NJDan

Dake's Big Throw on Sports Center

Much more likely to see HM's foot sweep.  It was perfectly executed, historic in that it was the Final deciding factor, Progressive and had an emotional back story.  I expect we haven't seen the last of it.    She is slick and a pleasure to watch. 

On 4/4/2021 at 9:44 AM, TFBJR said:

Much more likely to see HM's foot sweep.  It was perfectly executed, historic in that it was the Final deciding factor, Progressive and had an emotional back story.  I expect we haven't seen the last of it.    She is slick and a pleasure to watch. 

That foot sweep was Mocco-esque, and absolutely epic.

On 4/4/2021 at 8:44 AM, TFBJR said:

I showed it to all my classes the last two days. I started showing it to my creative writing class, and then my US history classes heard of it and asked for it. 
maybe they wanted to kill 8 minutes of class, but just about everybody was wide eyed for the foot sweep and the interviews. 

6 minutes ago, jcjcjc said:

I showed it to all my classes the last two days. I started showing it to my creative writing class, and then my US history classes heard of it and asked for it. 
maybe they wanted to kill 8 minutes of class, but just about everybody was wide eyed for the foot sweep and the interviews. 

Here's a story from 2003:

I was at the NCAA's and sitting in the Illinois section.  Matt Lackey had just beaten Troy Letters 6-3 in the 165 finals, he and came up not afterwards to sit with friends and celebrate. 

With 20 seconds left, he had iced his victory with a great foot sweep that caught Letters by surprise.

When he climbed up to our area, Matt sat in the aisle steps, because there weren't any seats available.

An older gentleman was the usher for that area, and he came up to Matt and asked him to move.

Matt said, "Hey, I guess you didn't see my foot sweep!"

The whole section roared.

33 minutes ago, TheOhioState said:

Here's a story from 2003:

I was at the NCAA's and sitting in the Illinois section.  Matt Lackey had just beaten Troy Letters 6-3 in the 165 finals, he and came up not afterwards to sit with friends and celebrate. 

With 20 seconds left, he had iced his victory with a great foot sweep that caught Letters by surprise.

When he climbed up to our area, Matt sat in the aisle steps, because there weren't any seats available.

An older gentleman was the usher for that area, and he came up to Matt and asked him to move.

Matt said, "Hey, I guess you didn't see my foot sweep!"

The whole section roared.

I was there and would like to know who let you sit in the Illinois section, we generally had fairly high standards back then.  :)

1 hour ago, ionel said:

I was there and would like to know who let you sit in the Illinois section, we generally had fairly high standards back then.  :)

LOL.  My friend and I would trade venues every year:  Ohio State one year; Illinois the next.  

His cousin is Jon Llewellyn, by the way.

I do remember that we were sitting in the Illinois section the previous year when Lackey lost to Joe Heskett.

My friend Joe got the tickets, which explains Illinois seating two years in a row.

I was rooting for Heskett that year, but I pretty much kept it to myself.  :)

Edited by TheOhioState

11 hours ago, TheOhioState said:

LOL.  My friend and I would trade venues every year:  Ohio State one year; Illinois the next.  

His cousin is Jon Llewellyn, by the way.

I do remember that we were sitting in the Illinois section the previous year when Lackey lost to Joe Heskett.

My friend Joe got the tickets, which explains Illinois seating two years in a row.

I was rooting for Heskett that year, but I pretty much kept it to myself.  :)

That evening Heskett stopped by the Illinois party, my son (8 at the time) was a big Lackey fan thought Matt should've won and a bit bummed asked Heskett for an autograph and then asked him something to the affect of if he would wrestle Matt again for the championship.  Joe replied with something like, no he did think he wanted to do that cause Matt was a very tough opponent.  Great champion and a really nice guy.  :) 

2 hours ago, ionel said:

That evening Heskett stopped by the Illinois party, my son (8 at the time) was a big Lackey fan thought Matt should've won and a bit bummed asked Heskett for an autograph and then asked him something to the affect of if he would wrestle Matt again for the championship.  Joe replied with something like, no he did think he wanted to do that cause Matt was a very tough opponent.  Great champion and a really nice guy.  :) 

Nice story.  

Joe has gone through a lot medically in recent times.  Highly respected on and off the mat.