Jump to content

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

 

Since 2019 nick lee has completely dominated, Molinaro, McKee, Eierman, Zain and Yianni in freestyle( yianni also forfeited once to Lee in that time) and his only 2 loses are to JO who has like 8 years on nick lee ...I’d say Lee future is bright, especially considering all the guys listed above focus solely on Free and Lee has been training to be an ncaa champ and still handled all of them 

For sure it is bright. Just hard to base it off a consi bracket at any team trials tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I am not a PSU fan, Nick Lee is one of my favorite wrestlers. He goes about his job, not overly obnoxious, no dick moves, and so on. However, let's not think that matches on the back side of the Olympic Trials with Yianni and Zain are going to get those guy's best efforts. Their dream has ended for a minimum of 3 years so I doubt they much give a ****. Hell look at all the forfeits. Happy for Nick, including NCAA's, but let's pump the brakes a little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ConnorsDad said:

Although I am not a PSU fan, Nick Lee is one of my favorite wrestlers. He goes about his job, not overly obnoxious, no dick moves, and so on. However, let's not think that matches on the back side of the Olympic Trials with Yianni and Zain are going to get those guy's best efforts. Their dream has ended for a minimum of 3 years so I doubt they much give a ****. Hell look at all the forfeits. Happy for Nick, including NCAA's, but let's pump the brakes a little.

I agree, though it seems like Lee has made a big jump in the past year and beating guys Like Yianni and Zain could provide a significant boost in confidence (even if it wasn't their best efforts).

As with everything in wrestling and life, we shall see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Although I am not a PSU fan, Nick Lee is one of my favorite wrestlers. He goes about his job, not overly obnoxious, no dick moves, and so on. However, let's not think that matches on the back side of the Olympic Trials with Yianni and Zain are going to get those guy's best efforts. Their dream has ended for a minimum of 3 years so I doubt they much give a ****. Hell look at all the forfeits. Happy for Nick, including NCAA's, but let's pump the brakes a little.

Agreed.  Zain did the same thing in 2016 and I said the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Although I am not a PSU fan, Nick Lee is one of my favorite wrestlers. He goes about his job, not overly obnoxious, no dick moves, and so on. However, let's not think that matches on the back side of the Olympic Trials with Yianni and Zain are going to get those guy's best efforts. Their dream has ended for a minimum of 3 years so I doubt they much give a ****. Hell look at all the forfeits. Happy for Nick, including NCAA's, but let's pump the brakes a little.

I'm not buying your logic. If they didn't care, and forfeiting was an option, why didn't they forfeit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I'm not buying your logic. If they didn't care, and forfeiting was an option, why didn't they forfeit?

I don't know why they didn't because I don't know the inner workings of each one of those guys. But you don't have to be Freud to know it is true. How many times in tournaments has Wrestler A, having beat Wrestler B early in the tournament, then loses to him later after getting knocked out of the winners bracket himself? Countless! It happens all the time. Why? Some people naturally wrestle hard all the time, some people may not have expected much (N. Lee at Oly Trials) while others, like Yianni, expected to win. When their dream was crushed, they didn't handle it as well but they were brought up not to quit so they go out there with, sometimes, strange results. It happens all the time, has happened to me (my excuse and I'm sticking to it), my son, Jordan Burroughs (Getting teched in the repechage at Worlds) and so on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

I don't know why they didn't because I don't know the inner workings of each one of those guys. But you don't have to be Freud to know it is true. How many times in tournaments has Wrestler A, having beat Wrestler B early in the tournament, then loses to him later after getting knocked out of the winners bracket himself? Countless! It happens all the time. Why? Some people naturally wrestle hard all the time, some people may not have expected much (N. Lee at Oly Trials) while others, like Yianni, expected to win. When their dream was crushed, they didn't handle it as well but they were brought up not to quit so they go out there with, sometimes, strange results. It happens all the time, has happened to me (my excuse and I'm sticking to it), my son, Jordan Burroughs (Getting teched in the repechage at Worlds) and so on.

Two holes in that for me.

You have repeatedly claimed Nick Lee did not expect to win. Just because you did not expect him to win does not mean he shared your sentiment. I think he 100% expected to win.

And because the phenomenon you described happened to you does not mean it happened here. They were still wrestling to make the national team. There was money, stature and pride on the line. I don't know what your stakes were, but I do not imagine they were that high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the problem in this country. Everyone is so polarized that it's impossible to talk about a middle ground, which is where reality tends to dwell.

It's possible to give Nick Lee a huge kudos for wrestling the tournament of his life and at the same time acknowledge the predictable dropoff in motivation, focus, and even physical energy that results from a major letdown for guys not only expecting to win but who also were expected to win (by their coaches, team mates, you know ... people who actually matter). I don't know if Nick Lee was really expecting to win with confidence or if he just thought he had a shot and was there to maximize it--only he knows--but Zain went from being the rep to not even making the best of 3 and Yianni took all year off to think about that moment constantly and was munching on a turd sandwich when he wrestled Lee. It's totally reasonable to say Zain and Yianni were not at their best in a (to them) meaningless consolation bracket where not even true 2nd was at play. Lee is still at the point in his career where every match against a top guy is additive and is coming off the mother of all highs after winning his first NCAA title. Zain and Yianni were there a few years ago, but are in a different place mentally now.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

This is the problem in this country. Everyone is so polarized that it's impossible to talk about a middle ground, which is where reality tends to dwell.

It's possible to give Nick Lee a huge kudos for wrestling the tournament of his life and at the same time acknowledge the predictable dropoff in motivation, focus, and even physical energy that results from a major letdown for guys not only expecting to win but who also were expected to win (by their coaches, team mates, you know ... people who actually matter). I don't know if Nick Lee was really expecting to win with confidence or if he just thought he had a shot and was there to maximize it--only he knows--but Zain went from being the rep to not even making the best of 3 and Yianni took all year off to think about that moment constantly and was munching on a turd sandwich when he wrestled Lee. It's totally reasonable to say Zain and Yianni were not at their best in a (to them) meaningless consolation bracket where not even true 2nd was at play. Lee is still at the point in his career where every match against a top guy is additive and is coming off the mother of all highs after winning his first NCAA title. Zain and Yianni were there a few years ago, but are in a different place mentally now.

Having an honest, respectful difference of opinions is not the problem in this country.  You, and others, made a point. I made a counter point. Because I do not accept your logic and you do not accept mine does not equate to polarization. We have both made assumptions. We just don't agree with each other's assumptions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta agree with@wrestlingnerd if the matches happen on the front side I think it's a different story. Maybe the result would be the same but I would assume significantly closer and would tend to favor John and Train...
That said.... Can't knock the performance.... They're still super elite guys and he went out there and crushed. I'm impressed and hope he keeps trending upward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick Lee has just put his stamp on the weight class with a phenomenal performance.  Kudos to him.  He has arrived.  All take notice.  Now need to study him and game plan him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Henry said:

Does Lee end up having a better international career than Retherford? 

I'll bite and say I hope anybody has a better international career than Retherford he doesn't get it done once he leaves the country and I don't see that changing.  In the next 4 years somebody needs to make major improvements and separate themselves from the domestic pack we just saw. If that happens to be Lee then so be it. All I want is a medal contending rep.

Edited by Sublime607

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Although I am not a PSU fan, Nick Lee is one of my favorite wrestlers. He goes about his job, not overly obnoxious, no dick moves, and so on. However, let's not think that matches on the back side of the Olympic Trials with Yianni and Zain are going to get those guy's best efforts. Their dream has ended for a minimum of 3 years so I doubt they much give a ****. Hell look at all the forfeits. Happy for Nick, including NCAA's, but let's pump the brakes a little.

So......what is there to gain for Zain or Yianni, if they did beat Lee? Something we don’t know? 
Or is it more on line with a moral victory ?  Not sure there is a second prize ,with not making the team.  1 winner, the rest losers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So......what is there to gain for Zain or Yianni, if they did beat Lee? Something we don’t know? 
Or is it more on line with a moral victory ?  Not sure there is a second prize ,with not making the team.  1 winner, the rest losers. 

$10,000 for being on the national team, training camps, travel, etc.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Le duke said:


$10,000 for being on the national team, training camps, travel, etc.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct.  The top three place finishers are awarded $ and the opportunity to accept invitations to overseas competition as well as their way paid to training camps.  For instance, USAW will send two teams overseas to two separate competitions.  #1 gets first choice, then #2, etc.  These things make a difference for those serious about being on World and Olympic teams.

The reason there are so many forfeits in the consolations is this was the last shot for many of these guys.  Or maybe they aren't sure yet but their desire and drive is diminished in consolations.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Morgan said:

Correct.  The top three place finishers are awarded $ and the opportunity to accept invitations to overseas competition as well as their way paid to training camps.  For instance, USAW will send two teams overseas to two separate competitions.  #1 gets first choice, then #2, etc.  These things make a difference for those serious about being on World and Olympic teams.

The reason there are so many forfeits in the consolations is this was the last shot for many of these guys.  Or maybe they aren't sure yet but their desire and drive is diminished in consolations.   

My only question is that Yianni is still in college I imagine those perks would cause eligibility issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sublime607 said:

My only question is that Yianni is still in college I imagine those perks would cause eligibility issue?

Nick Lee is still in college as well. I don't know how the benefits work but I doubt that Snyder was on his own dime going to international tournaments while at Ohio State.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sublime607 said:

My only question is that Yianni is still in college I imagine those perks would cause eligibility issue?

I am not sure how usaw or the universities handle this with the athlete.  It is earned income so maybe they defer it or apply to tuition, etc.  I'll let someone in the know answer this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, John Morgan said:

I am not sure how usaw or the universities handle this with the athlete.  It is earned income so maybe they defer it or apply to tuition, etc.  I'll let someone in the know answer this.

I know this may be a little off topic but the NCAA needs to change their greedy ways quickly. If you pay attention to what the NBA is doing with the D league they should be very worried that the NFL and other sports leagues will do the same and turn college sports into a second rate feeder for pro sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, southend said:

So......what is there to gain for Zain or Yianni, if they did beat Lee? Something we don’t know? 
Or is it more on line with a moral victory ?  Not sure there is a second prize ,with not making the team.  1 winner, the rest losers. 

I agree. They went out and wrestled but just going through the motions plus Lee has improved considerably. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...