Just watched Gilman interview on you tube  What a transformation.

From Brand wannabe and brash arrogant kid to mature young man. Kudos to both Sandersons and staff in his personal growth. No disrespect to brands and Iowa. But holy **** he is a different  person.

Frank C

Edited by cangemi

To me, Gilman is an excellent example of why it is so beneficial for guys to move to a RTC that differs from their college.

The wrestler I saw out there had a lot of Iowa in him: pushing forward relentlessly, confident, wearing the opponent down. Even a bit chippy (see first minute of the interview, responding to the absurdly dumb suggestion that he “came out of nowhere”). But the composure he demonstrated on the mat, and humility in the interview — even going whole hog with the “just have fun” mantra — shows how PSU’s philosophy rubbed off too. That isn’t to say one is better than the other, and there is of course lots of overlap between the two. The point is it that it is broadening, and shows how athletes can pick and choose the elements of the different philosophies that work for them.

JO did the same thing, Okie State to Cornell to UNC. Snyder from tOSU to PSU. Olympians all, and I bet all would credit the change in environment as beneficial to their overall growth.

3 hours ago, BAC said:

To me, Gilman is an excellent example of why it is so beneficial for guys to move to a RTC that differs from their college.

The wrestler I saw out there had a lot of Iowa in him: pushing forward relentlessly, confident, wearing the opponent down. Even a bit chippy (see first minute of the interview, responding to the absurdly dumb suggestion that he “came out of nowhere”). But the composure he demonstrated on the mat, and humility in the interview — even going whole hog with the “just have fun” mantra — shows how PSU’s philosophy rubbed off too. That isn’t to say one is better than the other, and there is of course lots of overlap between the two. The point is it that it is broadening, and shows how athletes can pick and choose the elements of the different philosophies that work for them.

JO did the same thing, Okie State to Cornell to UNC. Snyder from tOSU to PSU. Olympians all, and I bet all would credit the change in environment as beneficial to their overall growth.

100%. It also applies to life in general

12 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

I feel like I need to call Vak out with a tit for tat, but I can’t quite put my finger on why that is......;)

He's won this tournament before.  There was nobody really here to challenge him with Lee and Suriano both out, and Fix seemingly regressing.  Vito may be able to challenge Gilman in a few years if he can get stronger.  Lets see what happens at the Olympics.  I would love to be wrong and not see him lose in clutch situations, but the pattern is the pattern.  He often (but certainly not always) has mental mistakes or gets tight in tough situations.  I will agree if he's able to physically dominate the Olympic field he is unlikely to have that situation come up and he'll come home with gold.

His problem is that he'll be wrestling a lot of guys who are like Vito but more technical that he can't manhandle like Vito. Of course, I hope I'm wrong, but Gilman's ways to win are to score off a sweep single and then shut it down (handfight, as he says), or wear you down and then pushouts. I don't see him being able to come from behind easily or adjust to his opponent. He has a very effective but simple style. If it doesn't work, he's toast.

25 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

He's won this tournament before.  There was nobody really here to challenge him with Lee and Suriano both out, and Fix seemingly regressing.  Vito may be able to challenge Gilman in a few years if he can get stronger.  Lets see what happens at the Olympics.  I would love to be wrong and not see him lose in clutch situations, but the pattern is the pattern.  He often (but certainly not always) has mental mistakes or gets tight in tough situations.  I will agree if he's able to physically dominate the Olympic field he is unlikely to have that situation come up and he'll come home with gold.

Simply put a “choker” doesn’t win the world team trials twice, a world silver medal and then the Olympic trials. A choker loses to guys not at his level. Losing to guys that are at his level or even arguably better isn’t choking unless he is up by 5 with a minute left and falls on his face. That has been my only argument all along. The dude’s style is what leaves him open to losing tough matches at the end. He doesn’t have a style to put matches away against top competition and he doesn’t know how to run in the last 20 seconds. As such guys like Fix and especially Lee will always be very hard to close out against. 

Simply put a “choker” doesn’t win the world team trials twice, a world silver medal and then the Olympic trials. A choker loses to guys not at his level. Losing to guys that are at his level or even arguably better isn’t choking unless he is up by 5 with a minute left and falls on his face. That has been my only argument all along. The dude’s style is what leaves him open to losing tough matches at the end. He doesn’t have a style to put matches away against top competition and he doesn’t know how to run in the last 20 seconds. As such guys like Fix and especially Lee will always be very hard to close out against. 
Ok man. We've had this debate several times. You have your own definition of choking. Go with God.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Ok man. We've had this debate several times. You have your own definition of choking. Go with God.

Not to entirely derail this, but quite curious all the same, I’ve noticed a large and seemingly growing number of references to jesus and christian faith in interviews with wrestlers from the NLWC, and it seems to be an element of the broader “stay present, have fun, just enjoy wrestling” mindset that the penn state guys reference in their interviews.  I’m strictly interested/curious from a sports psychology standpoint, religion and a mindset of belief have quite a way of keeping the mental nagging worries of tomorrow and yesterday out of a competitor’s head.

I don’t recall gilman making any references to god in his teeth gnashing iowa days, he seemed MUCH more philosophical, reverential, and he did slip in a bit about God in his interview/Q&A.

Very interested to hear what anybody knows about this (beyond the fact that Cael’s from Utah).  NLWC and penn state are, rightfully so, rather insular in the way they conduct themselves and run the program.

10 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Then, answer me this and we can put this to bed for good.  Is Marinelli a choker?

21 hours ago, cangemi said:

Just watched Gilman interview on you tube  What a transformation.

From Brand wannabe and brash arrogant kid to mature young man. Kudos to both Sandersons and staff in his personal growth. No disrespect to brands and Iowa. But holy **** he is a different  person.

Frank C

If you really thought there has been some grand change in Gilman's maturity, then you really haven't been paying attention. Go to his early interviews on the Baschamania podcasts, when he was still at HWC. He gave a very inciteful look into his inner life including talking at length about his interests, such as military history and literature in general, and his relationship with the coaches and teammates. He was every bit as articulate and mature there as he is in his post trials interview. There is also an interview of his after his world medal fromn 2017 on Hawk central where he similarly carries himself well. Can't seem to find it now as the search function isn't great, but when I do, I can link it

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

Then, answer me this and we can put this to bed for good.  Is Marinelli a choker?

No.  Losing closely contested matches to roughly equivalent wrestlers is not the same as giving up late leads, losing to inferior opponents, or making huge strategic error in-match.  I will give you this, though, Gilman is (and always has been) a better wrestler than Marinelli.  However I'm open to the debate if people want to present it.

It's not a choke for Gilman to lose to Daton Fix.  it's a choke that he's leading late, Daton can not generate any of his own offense, and Gilman shoots in for no reason and gets countered to lose a world team spot.  Any way, we've been over this.

28 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

it's a choke that he's leading late, Daton can not generate any of his own offense, and Gilman shoots in for no reason and gets countered to lose a world team spot.  Any way, we've been over this.

That was really stupid. The biggest change I see in Gilman in the past year or so is that he is smarter about tactics. I don't think he'd do that again this year, as an example.

I remember the end the of the second match getting chippy on the edge. All I remember seeing is Gilman giving an extra shove. Was he being extra or was the match just getting chilly due to Arujas desperation?

Edited by jp157
Question mark

That was really stupid. The biggest change I see in Gilman in the past year or so is that he is smarter about tactics. I don't think he'd do that again this year, as an example.

Except he lost an international match somewhat recently doing the something similar. Maybe at Pellicone? 

EDIT: Might have been the Deglane.

34 minutes ago, jp157 said:

I remember the end the of the second match getting chippy on the edge. All I remember seeing is Gilman giving an extra shove. Was he being extra or was the match just getting chilly due to Arujas desperation?

Had to have been Vito.  NLWC wrestlers do not get chippy.

7 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Gilman gave him a little love tap. No big deal. Not that I think you're serious, lol.

Thank you