First, I don’t think anyone expected to see Cox out at OTT. 

Those that had qualified for the OTT did it with their choice of weight class. This isn’t a high school state tourney where each athlete qualified for a specific spot in the weight class, athletes just qualify in general. Since he was too was too big for 97kg why couldn’t we have let Cox enter in to the heavyweight bracket? Had we slid Cox into the fold at hwt., how would he have finished? 

Gable beat Gwiz, who was a multiple time world medalist, but how would he have done against bloated Cox? One of my buddies says Gable would win handily, but I just have a hard time imagining him beating Cox the way he did Gwiz. Still, I think Cox may have been in for a pounding at the hands of Gable.  

Now if the issue is just that Cox came late, it’s a whole nother discussion. I will be pretty disappointed if we can’t find a way to squeeze Cox into Tokyo. USA wrestling needs Cox. 

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I fully believe Cox would have been a factor at 125.

He is the 2nd best p4p wrestler on the planet.

I can see this until he reached Gable. I think Cox Gwiz could’ve been interesting. But Gable would’ve grown manned him if Cox engaged.

Just now, headshuck said:

That’s like saying Spencer Lee would have been a factor at 74kg or 86kg.

Nah it’s nowhere near the same lol. There’s some 125 kg guys I think Cox could beat. There’s no one at 74 kg Spencer could beat. This is more like Snyder wrestling Coon in folk style with the massive weight difference.

Ok, so I exaggerated. Any 65kg guys Lee could beat?

At the top of international freestyle? I seriously doubt it. That’s a ton of weight to give up when someone is that small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see this until he reached Gable. I think Cox Gwiz could’ve been interesting. But Gable would’ve grown manned him if Cox engaged.

I don’t know. He’s not like Snyder who had dealt with wrestling guys that size in the NCAAs. Say you just throw him into the tournament without prepping for it. He isn’t used to being out muscled to that extent. He isn’t used to have guys that large fend off his shots.

I think a handful of guys at the trials beat him. He gets destroyed at the Olympics. Hell, even Snyder was beaten by Coon after winning a couple of world medals and the Olympics. I think people underestimate the difference in size and strength.

1 minute ago, Jose132 said:

I don’t know. He’s not like Snyder who had dealt with wrestling guys that size in the NCAAs. Say you just throw him into the tournament without prepping for it. He isn’t used to being out muscled to that extent. He isn’t used to have guys that large fend off his shots.

I think a handful of guys at the trials beat him. He gets destroyed at the Olympics. Hell, even Snyder was beaten by Coon after winning a couple of world medals and the Olympics. I think people underestimate the difference in size and strength.

I think J’Den is wayyyyy more athletic than Snyder and their strength is probably pretty close. I think his athleticism wins him a match or two at the Olympic trials. But I do agree that he gets destroyed in the Olympics (and by Gable so he wouldn’t have been there in the first place).

Still kind of funny to me that people keep underestimating Gable. The man is 260lbs and can fly through the air like a 125lb gymnast. Hes coming home with the gold

Who is underestimating Gable? Everyone that I have read is saying that he is in the discussion for gold. But it’s not going to be a walk in the park.

28 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Cox wouldn't go into any HWT match like he was wrestling a 92 or 97.  He'd wrestle super defensive and kill with speed.

3 minutes ago, Jose132 said:

Who is underestimating Gable? Everyone that I have read is saying that he is in the discussion for gold. But it’s not going to be a walk in the park.

There are people on this board who think that snyder can beat Gable or to be specific the college senior version of snyder can beat this version of Gable. They may have been talking about a folkstyle match but the point remains the same. He will not be seriously challenged domestically if he chooses to keep on wrestling after this year. 

6 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Cox has wrestled HWT in college before.  The weight isn't unfelt.

Did he wrestle world level guys during that stint?  Did he get penalized for stepping out?  He can go full matador and it won't help him on a mat with Steveson.  That is not a knock on Cox, just an acknowledgement that one guy is more than 10% bigger than the other guy.  Weight classes exist for a reason.

Lol. J’den is better defensively than anyone Gable wrestled at hwt so it might not be a 10-0 tech, but yeah Gable would win pretty handily.

Edited by simple