Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Arizona State's Zeke Jones is quoted as saying

"Everybody is back next year" - in this AZCentral article on the Arizona State wrestling team.  Does this mean all of the Seniors on the 2021 team will be returning for 2022 or am I just reading too much into this quote?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2021/03/26/asu-wrestling-wants-more-after-first-ncaa-trophy-finish-since-1995/7018028002/

18 minutes ago, Bronco said:

"Everybody is back next year" - in this AZCentral article on the Arizona State wrestling team.  Does this mean all of the Seniors on the 2021 team will be returning for 2022 or am I just reading too much into this quote?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2021/03/26/asu-wrestling-wants-more-after-first-ncaa-trophy-finish-since-1995/7018028002/

Raimo isn't.

16 minutes ago, Bronco said:

I'm fairly certain he was referring to the STARTERS here.  I'm just curious if this means Valencia will be back for 2022.

I would imagine the same thing. I'm a Jersey boy and was just having some fun.

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

Is Lipari back?

1 hour ago, Downtown Brown said:

So I’ll say I’m curious. And he was for much of the year to boot. 

For much of the year yes...when it counted at the end..no.  I am curious too, but I would be shocked if he came back if wasn't injured at the end of the season. 

I e-mailed the author of this article and asked him and he replied with the following two e-mails:

AOh14Gii6xJhkfBlbkdI2aVnS--I71hxUsuG5zQMjxyJ=s40

Metcalfe, Jeff

Apr 4, 2021, 1:53 PM (14 hours ago)

to me

That is the plan

cleardot.gif

Metcalfe, Jeff

Apr 4, 2021, 2:34 PM (14 hours ago)

to me
cleardot.gif

It’s possible Anthony could change his mind … but I think his injury at nationals this year will make him want to come back even more.

Same thing with Norfleet, who said before nationals he wanted to return.

Jeff Metcalfe

That is the plan 

Author: 

to me - It’s possible Anthony could change his mind … but I think his injury at nationals this year will make him want to come back even more.

So he's basically just like any other poster who is trying to interpret the words of Zeke Jones and figure out who really is coming back. I really don't care if he does or doesn't come back,  but the author is only sharing his opinion as well.  I see Norfleet coming back - I'm not sure why he wouldn't, but for AV it might be time to move on. 

16 hours ago, Bronco said:

I e-mailed the author of this article and asked him and he replied with the following two e-mails:

Metcalfe, Jeff

Apr 4, 2021, 1:53 PM (14 hours ago)

to me

That is the plan

cleardot.gif

Metcalfe, Jeff

Apr 4, 2021, 2:34 PM (14 hours ago)

to me
cleardot.gif

It’s possible Anthony could change his mind … but I think his injury at nationals this year will make him want to come back even more.

Same thing with Norfleet, who said before nationals he wanted to return.

Jeff Metcalfe

That is the plan 

Norfleet wasn’t even a Sr. He has 2 years left. 

8 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

Norfleet wasn’t even a Sr. He has 2 years left. 

Flo had him listed as a senior all year and the ASU roster showed him as a senior which is why there is some confusion on that.    When you look at details though it appears he didn't get to wrestle much in the 2019 season as a sophomore due to injury so they can probably get a RS year for that which would have made him a junior for this past year.  He can come back for 2 more years if he chooses to. 

Edited by lu1979

20 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

Flo had him listed as a senior all year and the ASU roster showed him as a senior which is why there is some confusion on that.    When you look at details though it appears he didn't get to wrestle much in the 2019 season as a sophomore due to injury so they can probably get a RS year for that which would have made him a junior for this past year.  He can come back for 2 more years if he chooses to. 

In looking at the ASU bio- it doesn't show a sophomore year. It goes from freshman to rs soph to rs junior to senior.

My understanding is that he had two years left prior to this season - one as a senior (this year which ended up being a freebie) and one more for losing a year due to injury - totaling 2 years if he wanted to take both. He would have had one more - next year - because of the injury but since this year didn't count - his senior year is next year then the make up year he could earn due to injury.... if all that makes sense. 

Barring some event that interrupts things extraordinarily I think Norfleet is a virtual lock to come back next season.  And it is a fact that Norfleet was listed on the ASU team roster as a Senior for 2021.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Valencia is also a "lock" to be back next season but given the fact that he's only been an All-American once in his collegiate wrestling career and that honor came to him last year without having to compete at the NCAA national championships - I'd say it's highly likely he will return for 2022.

I am unclear as to whether the other Seniors will return.  Namely Cory Crooks at 149 lbs (when they have Jesse Vasquez as a RS Freshman for 2022), Cade Belshay at 184 lbs, and Peter Lipari at 141 lbs (Grad Student in 2021).

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say Valencia is also a "lock" to be back next season but given the fact that he's only been an All-American once in his collegiate wrestling career and that honor came to him last year without having to compete at the NCAA national championships - I'd say it's highly likely he will return for 2022.

Short term memory lapse? Anthony earned All America honors on the mat this year,, so that makes 2.

Given that he earned his undergrad degree a couple years ago, he may be motivated to come back to complete his masters, if he hasn't already.

12 minutes ago, wjd said:

Short term memory lapse? Anthony earned All America honors on the mat this year,, so that makes 2.

Given that he earned his undergrad degree a couple years ago, he may be motivated to come back to complete his masters, if he hasn't already.

You're right.... yet he forfeited his last match to place 8th at the NCAA tournament this year. 

Edited by Bronco

6 hours ago, wjd said:

You are correct about his masters degree. He has just graduated with his masters. He is a terrific student. Makes trying to figure out the situation even more difficult. If he plans on wrestling at the senior lever, I can’t imagine why he wouldn’t come back for one more college season. 

Edited by gobraves101905