6 hours ago, Katie said:

Best pound-for-pound wrestler in the world?! What?!

I think Dake has a legit case.  He’s certainly only behind Sadulaev at this point right?  Who’s lost more recently? 

30 minutes ago, D White said:

Please note the "right now" above.  Thanks.

Dake is not the P4P best wrestler in the world right now just because he power bombed Jason Nolf and beat Jordan Burroughs 2 matches to 0 to make the US Olympic Team

6 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Dake is not the P4P best wrestler in the world right now just because he power bombed Jason Nolf and beat Jordan Burroughs 2 matches to 0 to make the US Olympic Team

His point is there's an argument for it if we are talking strictly about the present. You have to admit what he did to JB was damn impressive. He beat JB, twice in one night no less, more convincingly than anyone else ha since his flameout at the Olympics. He also beat Chamizo recently (not at competition weight, exhibition, etc. I get it, but he did it) and absolutely ragdolled a world bronze medalist in about a minute.

I'm not making the case for Dake over anyone, much less Sadulaev. Just saying that a 2x world champ at a higher weight who reeled off those extremely high-quality victories recently isn't automatically a hopeless homer vote when "now" is the time frame.

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

His point is there's an argument for it if we are talking strictly about the present. You have to admit what he did to JB was damn impressive. He beat JB, twice in one night no less, more convincingly than anyone else ha since his flameout at the Olympics. He also beat Chamizo recently (not at competition weight, exhibition, etc. I get it, but he did it) and absolutely ragdolled a world bronze medalist in about a minute.

I'm not making the case for Dake over anyone, much less Sadulaev. Just saying that a 2x world champ at a higher weight who reeled off those extremely high-quality victories recently isn't automatically a hopeless homer vote when "now" is the time frame.

I see what you are saying, but unless and until Dake wins Olympic gold, he is not in the discussion with Sadulaev for World #1 P4P.  The only people who would argue otherwise are American homers who have little to no knowledge of the best international guys.  

I'm not sure I would put him above Sidakov who also has two recent wins over JB at Worlds and won a more competitive bracket at Russian Nationals (than what Dake went up against at our Trials).

With that being said, he is definitely our best guy P4P in the US.  Tbh, I think he would be competitive with Snyder and Steveson even giving up all that weight.

7 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

I see what you are saying, but unless and until Dake wins Olympic gold, he is not in the discussion with Sadulaev for World #1 P4P.  The only people who would argue otherwise are American homers who have little to no knowledge of the best international guys.  

I'm not sure I would put him above Sidakov who also has two recent wins over JB at Worlds and won a more competitive bracket at Russian Nationals (than what Dake went up against at our Trials).

With that being said, he is definitely our best guy P4P in the US.  Tbh, I think he would be competitive with Snyder and Steveson even giving up all that weight.

I agree with the result (Sadualev) but not how you got there. There’s no requirement that the P4P guy today must also have an Olympic medal from 5 years ago. Think that’s irrelevant. What have you done for me lately? Otherwise Kyle Snyder should be above anyone. 

The highly imprecise eye test is a factor when discussing the now, which is why his point is as valid as yours. Like I said, there’s a case for Dake. You can it American rose colored glasses, but it’s not an award or medal counting contest. The fact that he just beat JB twice alone, and quite convincingly, and that performance wasn’t a recent isolated incident, makes the subjective opinion that Dake is in the conversation as valid as yours that he isn’t.