headshuck

Gable’s training partners

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

There is no way most of these happen.  You don't bring threats with you to learn from you and be your training partners.  You definitely don't bring someone who has the motivation to twist you knee and get their Olympic shot.

RBY is a possibility, perhaps Yianni.Certainly not Fix, JB, Bo, Cox, Noore, or Gwiz.

Usually the training partners are non-threats years away from making an Olympic run or even someone in a different weight.

Will be interesting to see how well this post ages... 

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

Will be interesting to see how well this post ages... 

In what way will it not age well?  Are you saying that someone like Fix would be Gilman's partner?  Or are you saying that guys will choose partners who will mature into threats?

Edited by AHamilton

4 minutes ago, BTC said:

Can you imagine what he does to a zero time national team member, a.k.a. Nelson? 

He probably drills holes on the mat with Nelson's head. But that's not the point. If working out with Nelson resulted in the utter embarrassment of 2x world medalist Gwiz twice in a row, I'd keep that going! You are taking a risk every time you adjust the training protocol too much. I can see bringing people in episodically to give Gable different looks and feels, but don't change what ain't broke. Being a good training partner is not as much about how good you are as it is about how well you allow the main guy to train. Rapport, having zero ego, knowing how to balance live with not so live and just drilling, and even emotional and mental support are all part of it. Sometimes, really good wrestlers are the worst training partners.

43 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Nelson has never been on the national team?

My bad 1x national team member, 3rd alternate 

26 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

He probably drills holes on the mat with Nelson's head. But that's not the point. If working out with Nelson resulted in the utter embarrassment of 2x world medalist Gwiz twice in a row, I'd keep that going! You are taking a risk every time you adjust the training protocol too much. I can see bringing people in episodically to give Gable different looks and feels, but don't change what ain't broke. Being a good training partner is not as much about how good you are as it is about how well you allow the main guy to train. Rapport, having zero ego, knowing how to balance live with not so live and just drilling, and even emotional and mental support are all part of it. Sometimes, really good wrestlers are the worst training partners.

I usually tend to agree with the if it ain't broke don't fix it sentiment but the thing is we don't know if it's broken at least not til after the Olympics. He's crushing the field here at home because he is just that good. My whole thing is once he's up against opponents on his level will having a training partner who is so far beneath his skill level come back and bite him? I agree with your overall sentiment about training partners.

2 minutes ago, BTC said:

I usually tend to agree with the if it ain't broke don't fix it sentiment but the thing is we don't know if it's broken at least not til after the Olympics. He's crushing the field here at home because he is just that good. My whole thing is once he's up against opponents on his level will having a training partner who is so far beneath his skill level come back and bite him? I agree with your overall sentiment about training partners.

I think you get around that by scheduling tough big dudes to fly in for 1-2 days. Snyder was able to get Akgul to come to tOSU for a few training sessions. If you saw how those sessions went, I don't think Snyder benefitted much if at all and his confidence may have been hurt by the big man crushing his soul.

5 minutes ago, BTC said:

Just now, wrestlingnerd said:

I think you get around that by scheduling tough big dudes to fly in for 1-2 days. Snyder was able to get Akgul to come to tOSU for a few training sessions. If you saw how those sessions went, I don't think Snyder benefitted much if at all and his confidence may have been hurt by the big man crushing his soul.

Gable will have multiple national team camps to attend where he will be able to wrestle with guys like Parris, Snyder, Cox, Gwiz, etc along with others that are there. He has even practiced with Brock Lesnar in the past. There are no shortages of quality big guys around Minneapolis to work out with.

For the Olympics and few weeks they are in Tokyo you want someone you are familiar with and understands your training needs. 

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

Nelson has never been on the national team?

2020 Pan American Championships Gold medalist

-2019 US Senior Nationals- 2nd, US Open -2nd, US World Cup silver

-3x US National team member (2017-2019)

-2x NCAA champion (2012 and 2013)

-4x All-American (2011-2014), 3x Big Ten Champion (2012-2014)

-University of Minnesota

6 hours ago, Crash said:

My training partner predictions:

Gilman -- Fix or RBY (outside shot Zain)

JO - Yianni (Yianni won't decline)

Dake - JB (Nolf if JB declines)

Taylor - Bo (Valencia if Bo declines)

Snyder - Cox (Moore of Cox declines)

Gable - Nelson (Gwiz if Nelson declines)

You clearly don't know how this works.  They pick someone they trust and train with regularly, not the 2nd best guy.  Snyder is not taking Cox as his training partner, Dake is not taking JB, and Gilman definitely isn't picking Fix.

27 minutes ago, jammen said:

-University of Minnesota

I figured it was something like that.  I just figured BTC probably did not know what the national team was.

A lot of people don't seem to get how this works and what a training partner actually does. You don't typically bring major threats along. Often, you take your normal partner from home. For example, DT took Nickal in 2018. Gilman took McDonough, who wasn't even competing anymore. Burroughs brought Tyler Berger last go around and I believe Green brought Peyton Robb.

My guesses: 

Gilman - RBY (he tried to take RBY with him in 2017 or 2018, but it was nixed by the PSU/USA wrestling staff who felt it was tampering as Iowa was still recruiting him).

JO - Yianni or maybe O'Connor? Usually, Yianni would not be in consideration, but I think this is JO's last ride and they have a pre-existing friendship

Dake - Dean (pretty much a lock and who he brought last time)

Taylor - Bo or Brooks if Bo wants to jump right into MMA full time right away (lmao at it being J'Den; they hate each other)

Snyder - Kerk/Bo/Brooks

Gable - Nelson (not sure why anybody laughed at this. it's his regular partner and he's 4th on the ladder)

56 minutes ago, BTC said:

I'd encourage you to go back the last few years and see who these guys actually brought as their partners.

Remember, the real preparation happens at home and at the training camps where all of these guys are there. When it comes to who you bring for the 2 weeks leading up to the tournament, you bring someone you're comfortable with to help you taper down and peak.

39 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

I'd encourage you to go back the last few years and see who these guys actually brought as their partners.

Remember, the real preparation happens at home and at the training camps where all of these guys are there. When it comes to who you bring for the 2 weeks leading up to the tournament, you bring someone you're comfortable with to help you taper down and peak.

It also seems as if certain posters think the only way Gable can get ready to beat Geno and Taha is to train with someone as big/strong/athletic/technical as those two.  Guess what?   There's only two or three guys that talented in the world, and they are not coming here so that Gable can get a feel.  Sorry.

54 minutes ago, jammen said:

-University of Minnesota

I stand corrected however my overall point of Nelson not being near gables level remains. Evident by the fact that he has never been above the role of an alternate in an era where hvyw was one of the weakest weights. There was Tervel then everyone else.

7 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

I understand and agree. However wouldn't it be better if said training partner was closer to your own skill level than not? 

3 minutes ago, BTC said:

I stand corrected however my overall point of Nelson not being near gables level remains. Evident by the fact that he has never been above the role of an alternate in an era where hvyw was one of the weakest weights. There was Tervel then everyone else.

I understand and agree. However wouldn't it be better if said training partner was closer to your own skill level than not? 

No. Again, the training partners are not there to push the athletes. That phase of the training is over. Comfort level/familiarity is far more important which is why most guys bring their regular partner.

20 minutes ago, BTC said:

Here’s some context. At JB’s peak and shortly after it, JB brought post-junior year 157-lb 20-year old Dake and then pre-PSU Mark Hall. 

23 minutes ago, BTC said:

Les Sigman?

1 minute ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Here’s some context. At JB’s peak and shortly after it, JB brought post-junior year 157-lb 20-year old Dake and then pre-PSU Mark Hall. 

I think Dan Dennis may have brought Spencer Lee?