headshuck

Gable’s training partners

3 hours ago, AHamilton said:

In what way will it not age well?  Are you saying that someone like Fix would be Gilman's partner?  Or are you saying that guys will choose partners who will mature into threats?

I'm not saying anything except that I'm interested in how well your predictions come true.  That's it .. I'm interested.  

2 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

No idea what this means.

Two swings, two misses.  I certainly knew Karelin is well past his prime.  It was intended as both a joke and a huge compliment to Steveson.

There is a pattern developing here.  Either my jokes or your joke detector are/is not working.  Sorry.

8 hours ago, BobDole said:

Gilman- RBY is definitely possible
JO- Likley someone like O'connor or someone he trains with regularly. Yianni wouldn't be too much of a surprise since they were partners for around a year.
Dake- No way JB, it will be someone from Cornell
Taylor- Bo is probably high on the list, will be someone from NLWC
Snyder- Likely someone from NLWC
Gable- Nelson is highly likely

Taylor brought Bo in 18, I think Brooks will be his choice here I’m sure Bo will transition to MMA fairly quickly. I also think Snyder always brings his brother as his training partner.

4 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

Two swings, two misses.  I certainly knew Karelin is well past his prime.  It was intended as both a joke and a huge compliment to Steveson.

There is a pattern developing here.  Either my jokes or your joke detector are/is not working.  Sorry.

Get off your horse. I knew it was a joke. I didn't think you'd miss that I got it. I was just having fun, myself.

I guess you just bunted foul on the third strike!

7 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Taylor brought Bo in 18, I think Brooks will be his choice here I’m sure Bo will transition to MMA fairly quickly. I also think Snyder always brings his brother as his training partner.

I don't think so, especially since his brother doesn't wrestle anymore. Pretty sure he brought Myles Martin in 2019.

7 hours ago, BerniePragle said:

The only training partner I can imagine for Steveson.

karelin-549x668.png

Karelin suffers from a bad case of yianni syndrome. 

4 hours ago, AHamilton said:

I figured it was something like that.  I just figured BTC probably did not know what the national team was.

Nope I did indeed know except I didn't bother to look up Nelson's results since he was pretty much a non factor on the international stage. 

3 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Here’s some context. At JB’s peak and shortly after it, JB brought post-junior year 157-lb 20-year old Dake and then pre-PSU Mark Hall. 

JB's 2016 year is not the best example to use. Probably his worst performance to date. 

2 minutes ago, BTC said:

Nope I did indeed know except I didn't bother to look up Nelson's results since he was pretty much a non factor on the international stage. 

Just a continental champ!

3 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Just a continental champ!

Come on now, winning the pan ams is not the same as the European or Asian Championships. The only two countries that are mainstays are Cuba and the US

13 minutes ago, BTC said:

Come on now, winning the pan ams is not the same as the European or Asian Championships. The only two countries that are mainstays are Cuba and the US

WE do not live in Europe or Asia.  The only continental championship he could win would be Pan Am.  If Zain could win Pan Am, JO wouldn't be in the predicament that he is.  

First you said that he was a zero time national team member, then you said one time, now you say no international credentials.  Wrong at each step.  Please give Tony Nelson his due!

5 hours ago, BTC said:

My bad 1x national team member, 3rd alternate 

I usually tend to agree with the if it ain't broke don't fix it sentiment but the thing is we don't know if it's broken at least not til after the Olympics. He's crushing the field here at home because he is just that good. My whole thing is once he's up against opponents on his level will having a training partner who is so far beneath his skill level come back and bite him? I agree with your overall sentiment about training partners.

Tony Nelson is a great wrestler and one of the best heavyweights in the US at this time as he just proved by taking 4th last weekend.  There are no partners available that will be as good as the two favorites in Tokyo and there is no one in the US who can mimic their style.  Gable is just going to have to wing it when it comes to beating Geno P or Tahir.   I think his great counter offense style may work well against those guys who both like to shoot a lot.  Gable is great at down blocking and getting an angle to attack with.  I am hoping that will work out well for him.

7 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

WE do not live in Europe or Asia.  The only continental championship he could win would be Pan Am.  If Zain could win Pan Am, JO wouldn't be in the predicament that he is.  

First you said that he was a zero time national team member, then you said one time, now you say no international credentials.  Wrong at each step.  Please give Tony Nelson his due!

Yes I did say those things, then I retracted my statement when corrected. DO NOT act like winning pan ams is harder to win than those two continental tourneys. I stand by my opinion that Tony isnt the cream of the crop in freestyle. Lol Zain choking at Pan Am is your only argument.

Edited by BTC
Typo

1 minute ago, BTC said:

Yes I did say those things, then I retracted my statement when corrected. DO NOT act like winning pan ams is harder to win than those two continental tourneys. I stand by my opinion that Tony wasn't the cream of the crop in freestyle. Lol Zain choking at Pan Am is your only argument.

At no point did I say Pan Ams was as good as the other two.  It is the only one that Nelson has a chance to wrestle in.

55 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I can see him taking DGK, the guy who rescinded about 5 college commitments to be close to Snyder.

Just now, AHamilton said:

At no point did I say Pan Ams was as good as the other two.  It is the only one that Nelson has a chance to wrestle in.

Ok if that is your argument then why hasn't he had any noteworthy results in international tourneys that he is allowed to enter? Tony is a solid journeyman bit IMO(cause it matters so much) he will fall further down the ladder as the new crop of young and athletic heavys start coming up. Kerk and Parris to be more specific as I see them as the only true blue chip international prospects we have at that weight.

15 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

Tony Nelson is a great wrestler and one of the best heavyweights in the US at this time as he just proved by taking 4th last weekend.  There are no partners available that will be as good as the two favorites in Tokyo and there is no one in the US who can mimic their style.  Gable is just going to have to wing it when it comes to beating Geno P or Tahir.   I think his great counter offense style may work well against those guys who both like to shoot a lot.  Gable is great at down blocking and getting an angle to attack with.  I am hoping that will work out well for him.

I disagree on nelson. He's a good room guy and good for depth but i wouldn't say he's a great wrestler, relatively speaking that is. I agree with everything else. 

Edited by BTC

2 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

And I would imagine DT has more Spanish Grand Prix titles (although he's certainly overcome that moniker)

Now that you mention it, I think you are right.  What a bum!