Jimmy Cinnabon

This is Iowa's time to strike

Iowa, riding the high of their first NCAA team title in over a decade, is poised to retake the throne of college wrestling.

However, they must make a big move now for their RTC, HWC, to attract those recruits with Olympic and World team ambitions.

As you have heard, they only sent 1 rep to the OTT, Sammy Brooks, who didn't win a single match.  On the flip side, NLWC sent 14 people...and has 4 representatives on the Olympic team and many more on the national team.

Iowa has a prime opportunity to rebalance the scales now.  They need to throw big dollars at some NLWC athletes to lure them to Iowa City.

They should target:

1. Zain - he's regressed and needs a change in scenery.  Nick Lee seems to have surpassed him and is obviously not leaving Penn State soon.

2. Nolf - he's clearly #2 at the weight in the country but with Dake just peaking now he needs to take it to the next level

3. Nickal - stuck behind Taylor he won't want to be training day in and day out with DT

Funny how 3 Penn State greats that tortured Hawkeyes in the blue and white could end up saving the HWC.  Iowa needs to raise a few million bucks, pay these 3 off, and lure them to HWC.

Make it happen, Hawkeyes fans.  You just won a national title -- now is the time to strike!

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

Nickal probably won't be going through another Olympic cycle he is going into MMA.  They can spend money on Zain but it's unlikely at this point that he gets past Yianni, Lee etc in 2024.  No reason for Nolf to leave, Dake is 30 years old, will be 33-34 at the next Olympics, this is his one shot

1 hour ago, Cowboy08 said:

Nickal probably won't be going through another Olympic cycle he is going into MMA.  They can spend money on Zain but it's unlikely at this point that he gets past Yianni, Lee etc in 2024.  No reason for Nolf to leave, Dake is 30 years old, will be 33-34 at the next Olympics, this is his one shot

Has yianni ever actually beat zain other then that one meaningless tournament overseas? And now he’s unlikely to get past him? I love yianni but my god he is the most overhyped wrestler in America, he’s lost to JO, Zain, McKenna and Nick Lee domestically the last 2 years, yet still hear people say he’s the future of the weight 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Iowa, riding the high of their first NCAA team title in over a decade, is poised to retake the throne of college wrestling.

However, they must make a big move now for their RTC, HWC, to attract those recruits with Olympic and World team ambitions.

As you have heard, they only sent 1 rep to the OTT, Sammy Brooks, who didn't win a single match.  On the flip side, NLWC sent 14 people...and has 4 representatives on the Olympic team and many more on the national team.

Iowa has a prime opportunity to rebalance the scales now.  They need to throw big dollars at some NLWC athletes to lure them to Iowa City.

They should target:

1. Zain - he's regressed and needs a change in scenery.  Nick Lee seems to have surpassed him and is obviously not leaving Penn State soon.

2. Nolf - he's clearly #2 at the weight in the country but with Dake just peaking now he needs to take it to the next level

3. Nickal - stuck behind Taylor he won't want to be training day in and day out with DT

Funny how 3 Penn State greats that tortured Hawkeyes in the blue and white could end up saving the HWC.  Iowa needs to raise a few million bucks, pay these 3 off, and lure them to HWC.

Make it happen, Hawkeyes fans.  You just won a national title -- now is the time to strike!

Did u make “Dake needs a change of scenery “ posts after he came up short to JB the last 7 years

very provocative work by Jimmy C

I love Nick Lee and his recent success, but doubt that Zain is or feels like he has been left behind.  He may yet be the top dog for the next Olympic cycle and the NLWC room is a pretty good one.  

Hat is off to Dake who has emerged.   I think Nolf and JB may still be competitive with Dake in the coming years.   Has Nolf wrestled JB lately?  

3 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Has yianni ever actually beat zain other then that one meaningless tournament overseas? And now he’s unlikely to get past him? I love yianni but my god he is the most overhyped wrestler in America, he’s lost to JO, Zain, McKenna and Nick Lee domestically the last 2 years, yet still hear people say he’s the future of the weight 

Yianni beat Zain at the 2019 US Open.  It is 3-2 for Zain if you exclude the controversial brick match.

4 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Yianni is hyped more than the others because he's actually beat ranked international opponents. Zain style doesnt translate outside the US and bombs tournament after tournament. JO is getting up in age and you never know what JO is going to show up.  McKenna in the past I have said that he's always the bridesmaid and never the bride actually feel sorry for the dude how many times can he come so close and fall short. Nick Lee has shown that he's continued to improve but need see what he can do internationally. PSU fans need hop off the train and get behind Lee. 

The HWC is going to be much better for the next cycle once Lee, DeSanto, Eierman and Warner graduate.  Marinelli could be another if his wife decides to stay with the program after he graduates.  I would be surprised if Kemerer stays.

Here is how they should look in a year or 2.

57kg:  Lee.  I don't see how he isn't at the top of the ladder for quite some time.

61kg:  DeSanto?  Not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks around and gives it a go.

65kg:  Eierman/Lugo

70 kg: Lugo/Moody

74kg: Marinelli

79kg: ?

86kg:  Brooks  Could Warner cut to here?

92kg:  Warner

97kg:  ?

125kg:  Telford in name only

Edited by MSU158

12 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

57kg:  Lee.  I don't see how he isn't at the top of the ladder for quite some time.

61kg:  DeSanto?  Not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks around and gives it a go.

65kg:  Eierman/Lugo

70 kg: Lugo/Moody

74kg: Marinelli

79kg: ?

86kg:  Brooks  Could Warner cut to here?

92kg:  Warner

97kg:  ?

125kg:  Telford in name only

There is a substantial opportunity gap between even this lineup and the funds raised. Brands will close that gap. Iowa was late to the “recruit first, develop second” trend. But they’ve caught up. They are late to the “RTCs create free agents after college” trend. They will catch up. 

Even if you aren’t buying world teamers, having depth in an RTC is very important. They should do a lot more than they’re doing and I bet they will. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Just now, wrestlingnerd said:

There is a substantial opportunity gap between even this lineup and the funds raised. Brands will close that gap. Iowa was late to the “recruit first, develop second” trend. But they’ve caught up. They are late to the “RTCs create free agents after college” trend. They will catch up. 

Even if you aren’t buying world teamers, having depth in an RTC aid important. They should do a lot more than they’re doing and I beg they will. 

But, I DO believe the lineup I listed WILL be a big part in getting those "free agents".  Establish from within to set up branching outward.......

12 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

But, I DO believe the lineup I listed WILL be a big part in getting those "free agents".  Establish from within to set up branching outward.......

Yes, although mainly Lee. They need someone who is a real threat. Like Zain (not to sounds like a broken record). There was talk of Imart after the Perry announcement (I know he’s at Oregon St now and my guess is probably done soon). If Spartan and UNC could get JO, Iowa absolutely could’ve too. Ringer would’ve been a solid get too. 

I’m not saying any of those guys specifically are real possibilities. They’re just the type of guys Brands needs to be calling on the regular. Even Evan Henderson would’ve been a solid addition. 

Also, not a fan of Dennis as the RTC head. I have nothing against him personally but what a tone deaf hire. 

Just now, wrestlingnerd said:

Yes, although mainly Lee. They need someone who is a real threat. Like Zain (not to sounds like a broken record). There was talk of Imart after the Perry announcement (I know he’s at Oregon St now and my guess is probably done soon). If Spartan and UNC could get JO, Iowa absolutely could’ve too. Ringer would’ve been a solid get too. 

I’m not saying any of those guys specifically are real possibilities. They’re just the type of guys Brands needs to be calling on the regular. Even Evan Henderson would’ve been a solid addition. 

Also, not a fan of Dennis as the RTC head. I have nothing against him personally but what a tone deaf hire. 

Yeah, Dennis seemed to be an Iowa for Iowa hire.  Losing the girls and Perry basically gave them the look like they were essentially operating a skeleton crew for the time being and really only focusing on NCAA's.    Once NCAA's are over next season, we should get a very good look at what HWC has planned moving forward.

2 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Yeah, Dennis seemed to be an Iowa for Iowa hire.  Losing the girls and Perry basically gave them the look like they were essentially operating a skeleton crew for the time being and really only focusing on NCAA's.    Once NCAA's are over next season, we should get a very good look at what HWC has planned moving forward.

If you’re gonna go Hawkeye, my top choice would’ve been Terry Steiner. Start with the girls where they had some success recently and build from there. Instead they hired a hermit. 

3 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Once NCAA's are over next season, we should get a very good look at what HWC has planned moving forward.

i wrote something similar in the mailbag last week.

that being said, i see only Lee and Jaydin as being WTM threats. I hope they go try to sign some other talent to shake things up.

however, no one from NLWC is gonna go to HWC.